We recently had the privilege of interviewing Cory "Mumper" Stockton, World of Warcraft's Lead Content Designer, to discuss all things pets!
Our half-hour session included a detailed conversation about the future of pet battles, new pets and pet collecting in general.
- Cory provided a sneak peak at the pet design process.
- Future patches and expansions won't contain quite as many pets as we saw in MoP and 5.1.
- Blizzard is very pleased with Pet Battles — more than 50% of players are participating.
- Epic (and possibly legendary) pet qualities will definitely come, in time.
- Pet gender may play a role down the road — think "cross-breeding" your pets.
- Older pet models will see some updating (frogs and snakes were mentioned), possibly for 5.2.
- Some wild pets will become tradable... eventually.
- Wild "boss pet" encounters, where you’d use your entire team to take down an über pet, are in the works.
- Dog-lovers rejoice! More traditional-style dog pets à la Perky Pug are on the horizon!
And those are just the highlights! There's plenty more pet talk, so be sure to listen to the full interview.
Download the Interview
We'd like to thank Cory again for his time and super-insightful answers. If you love pets, you don't want to miss this interview!