What breed?? WoD Edition *updated 6.2*

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu
Re: What breed?? WoD Edition *updated 6.1*

Post by Lolfixheal » March 6th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Hmm might even think HH is better for the Sunblade. Not much difference in damage output and you need the extra life for repair to heal you. (HP vs HH repair heal amount is 100 difference only). But getting it off before hitting your mech racial is key. Furthermore you Menagerie Custodian as HP since it doesnt have repair. Using repair also clears CD on shock and awe and you zap as filler.

Stinkrot I'm still in doubt about. I see some people have S/B in their Collection, my own AH having more S/B>P/B.

Looking at Bone Serpent Again, I think youre right with HH. I guess I jumped the rock when I finally saw an undead with 289 speed... but at the cost of 2-3 turn lethal low Health.

Perhaps Slithershock needs to be played with the grasp? Dive dmg+grasp dmg whilst not taken any dmg yourself. Swap in another fast pet?

Vipers
Pet Score:3725
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Vipers » March 6th, 2015, 7:46 pm

Bone Serpent = H/H
Investing in speed on something naturally slow isn't very efficient, and if you decide to do it anyway you should have at least one good reason to do so, and Bone Serpent doesn't have one. You will see yourself passing rounds very often if you chose the classic crow combo (Darkness + Nocturnal Strike) over death and decay, and my guess is that you will do that quite a lot. Why? Well, both Consume and Barrage are terrible choices, with consume being the least terrible of them, death and decay doesn't do enough to justify its use over Darkness, and finally Nocturnal Strike has a higher damage output over time compared to Lift-Off that merely offers you a pseudo-immunity during one round, but you are not fast enough to make the best use of it even if you invest in speed.

Leviathan Hatchling = Any
The first thing you will see on him is his Primal Cry, which seems to overshadow anything else he could offer. Having Primal Cry would make up for his average speed and let you invest in H and P, making H/P the obvious choice, right? Maybe. The problem is that being faster doesn't help him in any way. His damage will be average at best, even being faster, toxic skin requires you to be alive to justify itself and his marginally above average 1500 hp without any sort of damage mitigation doesn't scream "hey guise, I am a great tank!". If you choose Primal Cry over Whirlpool, it will only give you another use of poison split or Water Jet before you die, and that's it.
I don't see this thing being more useful in PvE than Striders or Carps already are, so don't break you balls trying to get the best of something you will probably almost never use.

Sea Calf = Any
I, personally, dislike the idea of pets who need extra support to perform with their full potential. To me it kind of limits them instead of turning them into great strategic machines. This dude needs help in every conceivable way to be marginally acceptable, otherwise he's just "eh". The problem with feed is its typing on an aquatic pet, who faces flying threats very often in PvP, and his marginal offensive capabilities when it comes to whatever it is they have to kill on PvE.
I won't even get started on Blood in the Water having no self-synergy or surge without power. His damage output will be low in any breed, and his speed will be indifferent with Surge. Feed may benefit from increases in power, but it's such a small difference it's not even worth mentioning.

Sister of Temptation = H/B
Here goes my award for the coolest companion pet model in the game (f**k you minfernal). Just the fact that she can dot up and then switch while healing itself is something I personally like, and the absurd high amount of water pets out there doesn't phase this out, for me, even a bit. You can argue about her damage output not being the best considering she's a humanoid with undead traits, but almost everything you choose to do with her will do OK and you could even score a kill if you predict well, and this should count. Since she will be constantly healing herself and the raw damage won't be there anyway, H/B will perform slightly better than P/B, but the difference is too small when a "dot and run" type of strategy is used. If you need higher and faster undead damage, you shouldn't be considering dots in the first place.

Slithershock Elver S/S
This one is pretty obvious, as 3 of his 6 abilities SCREAM for speed. Watch out, this one is possibly my strongest candidate for the best aquatic pet in the game (shout-out to my friend Snarly!). He's dangerous, he's fast, and resilient to dots. Rabbits basically carry an entire type on their backs by themselves, imagine what an aquatic version of them is capable of? Yes, I know the rabbits main counters do not outspeed them, but answer me this: when was the last time you had a hard time killing any flying pet not named Chi-Chi?

Stinkrot = P/B
Undead pets were never known as the greatest healers in the game, or the fastest threats in the world, and this one is no different. H/B could be understandable, if only Corpse Explosion did not share the same slot with Digest Brain, but then again, healing a slow pet isn't the best example of a great strategy, neither is using this thing as your first pick for undead damage. Overall, keep in mind that undeads like power more than they can make use of healing.

Sunblade Micro Defender = H/H
This would be an amazing pet if he had good speed. Shock and Awe being strong and consistent almost carries this pet alone, and Haywire is my pick for damage output because it is slightly stronger than Zap, and without power, he will be needing all of the help he can get. If you feel H/P too tempting to pass, you will soon realize that there are better Shock and Awe users out there who do not require you to sacrifice Health for a marginal increase in damage.

Young Talbuk = S/S
The big dilemma here is weather or not you want to use stampede. I do not recommend the use Stampede if you are too slow because, chances are, you will die before making good use of its debuff after 3 rounds, even with the 50% damage reduction. Horn Gore doesn't shine on its own, even running P/P, which leaves stampede as the "only" viable option here, pair that with Rampage and you got yourself a scorpion who can do something other than poisoning the opponent before biting the dust.
What do you do with a pen that only works 90% of the time?

Lolfixheal

Post by Lolfixheal » March 9th, 2015, 5:58 pm

I always enjoy your read and view Vipers, thanks :D

Lolfixheal

Re: What breed?? WoD Edition *updated 6.2*

Post by Lolfixheal » July 4th, 2015, 7:18 am

New patch, time to see at the new ones. Most seems generic copies of original 6.0 ones, same moveset, same selection of breeds.

Bloodbeak: PP > HP, I dont see any speedy breeds so might aswell focus power or health and utilize the flying trait for half the fight.

Bloodthorn Hatchling: PB > SB/HB. Its a crap pet really but SB with 289 speed might allows Gnaw. Anything goes but BB.

Cerulean Moth: PS. Higher stats in everything at the cost of little health.

Crimsonwing Moth: PS. Same as above.

Crusher: PP>HH ??. This is hard one. We have allready established Ore Eater as SS, this one got similiar moveset really but no SS choice. So do we want power for this one which buffs Shell Shield or an HH variat, utilizing the dot and humanoid trait?

Dusty Sporewing: PS. See above @ moths.

Fen Crab: PP>HH. Classic 2nd variation crab moveset. Theres allready 4-5 of these in journal, same breed options, same moveset. Heavy damage combo in rip-bitw as PP but low max health. HH provides medium-high health but maintaining sensible damage stats just below 300. Depends what you need them for so I've split them up so that I have 3 PPs and 2 HHs.

Glowing Sporebat: HH. Same moveset as Shadow and Tiny affix members of Sporebats exception being their 20 skill differs. They all got same breed options in common, so far I've taken HH over BB and HS as they arent fast enough and the dots/leech of this pet promotes an endurant build. Endurance comes from more health, namely 1900 almost as HH.

Periwinkle Calf: HP>HH. I'd take abit power because both cookiercutter abilties are RNG. The extra power will help in this regard and buff stoneskin. More damage is welcomed aswell if you run Headbutt-Takedown-X but that strategy is very RNG dependant. Do note the two cookiecutter abilties are different than your usual Calf which runs Bite-Water Jet.

Sapphire Firefly: PB. Same pet as Darkmoon Glowfly with the Dazzling Dance being the unique thing here. With the dance up you dont need speed on the pet and extra damage can be applied. HB and BB are shit breeds compared to PB. If not PB, then HS to outspeed 289s for applying the dance.

Violet Firefly: PB. See above.

Let me know what you guys think and what your take on the new pets are.

Lolfixheal

Post by Lolfixheal » July 15th, 2015, 11:12 am

Noone has any views or opinions on the new pets' breeds? :(

Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11106
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Melmo » July 17th, 2015, 8:22 am

I agree with all of your thoughts on the breeds except Crusher I think would work well as P/P or H/P. Mine personally is H/P and he's fantastic, stays alive forever and still hits really hard. I've not tried the P/P one though, so I can't say how that one is. I also chose the B/B sporebat, my other 2 sporebats are both H/H and the B/B does hit harder and heals for more. In my opinion it can't hurt to have one of the 3 sporebats in your collection be a B/B, as they all have almost identical movesets anyway.

Logansfury
Top Rater
Pet Score:4755
Realm:Korialstrasz-us

Post by Logansfury » March 31st, 2016, 3:08 pm

Hi all,

I saw someone posting a breed question more recently and get directed here, so Im guessing this board doesnt frown on posting to older threads? My apologies if im mistaken.

Anyhow, I looked thru this thread and didnt see any mention of Albino Chimaeraling. What please is the concensces on the best of the 5 avail breeds for this pet?

Thank you for reading

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » April 1st, 2016, 10:34 am

Logansfury wrote:Albino Chimaeraling. What please is the concensces on the best of the 5 avail breeds for this pet?
[pet]Albino Chimaeraling[/pet] is one of my own bugbears. The problem is that I don't see myself ever using it anywhere, so I don't see why I should keep two breeds, and yet I haven't settled on one.

For a start, I see nothing that could be better than P/P or S/S.

With P/P, you're going to hope to be slower, and take Tail Sweep and Call Darkness. Deep Breath doesn't really matter, since it does the same damage as two Tail Sweeps with an accompanying disadvantage of being locked in. Hm, if you want this combo, you might be better to take the P/S [pet]Dark Whelpling[/pet], which has the same moveset with a little less power but more health, which is slower. So there's maybe an argument for not keeping the P/P breed if you have a [pet]Dark Whelpling[/pet].

With S/S you will likely be faster, and take Shadowflame, Call Darkness, and Lift-Off for the avoidance.

Neither of these seem enticing.

I don't know - does anyone use [pet]Albino Chimaeraling[/pet] for anything?

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » April 1st, 2016, 11:06 am

Gráinne wrote:
Logansfury wrote:Albino Chimaeraling. What please is the concensces on the best of the 5 avail breeds for this pet?
[pet]Albino Chimaeraling[/pet] is one of my own bugbears. The problem is that I don't see myself ever using it anywhere, so I don't see why I should keep two breeds, and yet I haven't settled on one.

For a start, I see nothing that could be better than P/P or S/S.

With P/P, you're going to hope to be slower, and take Tail Sweep and Call Darkness. Deep Breath doesn't really matter, since it does the same damage as two Tail Sweeps with an accompanying disadvantage of being locked in. Hm, if you want this combo, you might be better to take the P/S [pet]Dark Whelpling[/pet], which has the same moveset with a little less power but more health, which is slower. So there's maybe an argument for not keeping the P/P breed if you have a [pet]Dark Whelpling[/pet].

With S/S you will likely be faster, and take Shadowflame, Call Darkness, and Lift-Off for the avoidance.

Neither of these seem enticing.

I don't know - does anyone use [pet]Albino Chimaeraling[/pet] for anything?
I use my P/P one for Ashlei daily, with an ability-buffed [ability]Deep Breath[/ability] timed to hit Tally just after Doodle takes a nap, but it's just because I don't care about a very specific pet here. :P
In general it seems a bit overkilling (what also means being locked by Magic passive) anyway, but that's a general Dragonkin problem. On the other hand, there aren't indeed any obvious abilities that would move it towards speed -- only some buffs that could last longer or not (The best dragonkin usage of [ability]Lift-Off[/ability] is probably on an S/S [pet]Bronze Whelpling[/pet] :P).
A H/P breed would be interesting, but there's no one.

About the [pet]Bone Serpent[/pet], I use P/S anyway. That supposed additional round from H/H seems to land too often at the idle turn. Of course I don't care about speed, just that little chunk of power.
Vipers wrote:Why? Well, both Consume and Barrage are terrible choices, with consume being the least terrible of them
Why would you want to use [ability]Consume[/ability] during the Darkness? O_o A barrage has its flaws with a low accuracy (was it buffed some day?), but at least, thanks to its very nature, most of the time it's able to get rid of bubbles and decoys.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507