Which WILD pets are worth stoning?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us
Re: Which WILD pets are worth stoning?

Post by Maizing » January 2nd, 2014, 1:49 pm

I got all my vendor pets stoned before using stones on most wild pets... but I did stone a few before then, and my list reflects the lists already mentioned above. I also stoned a few just because a stone dropped during the course of farming for them, and I stoned my [pet]Diemetradon Hatchling[/pet], partially out of frustration and partially because the tame was memorable.

Funny thing... I stoned my [pet]Giraffe Calf[/pet] because it was so frustrating to even get one, and then recently, I was passing through the area where they spawn and saw one up. Just for the heck of it, I engaged it in a pet battle... and it was a rare! So I tamed that one too. So now I have 2 of them.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 2nd, 2014, 2:44 pm

FuxieDK wrote:Only missing ~11 Wild Pets (as rare). Thinking of stoning:
- Turkey (2 small spawn points, crawling with alliance guards).
- Jade Oozeling. 1 spawn per ~15 minutes.. IF YOU ARE LUCKY!
- Undercity Rat.. Strangely, as Horde, this is a problem for me. Stormwind Rat was much easier.
- Wharf Rat.. Because they are never around, when I am.
For the Turkey you can roll a low level alli toon and take the boat from Menethil to the alliance start area in Howling Fjord. There's a few spawn points there that should be safe enough for even a level 1.

Jade Oozelings appear to be on a slow timer, as you noted. It pays to leave a toon there and just check back once in a while. Same with Wharf Rat. I just left a toon there and checked back every once in a while.

Undercity Rat was painful for me a well, it helps IIRC if you kill everything that's not a rat (there's maggots and roaches or something there as well). The Undercity Rat can respawn in any of those spots. I had the extra burden of only wanting 1 color and spent a lot of time riding around the inner and outer circles, killing stuff.

Lexy
Top Rater
Pet Score:9286
BattleTag®:Mrglmrgmrgl#11811
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Lexy » January 6th, 2014, 2:33 am

Gwenolyn wrote:I stoned Giraffe, Minfernal, and Coral Adder. Coral Adders
Yeah same here, Giraffe, Minfernal, the silly Coral Adder .. and my Valk. I stoned one other one .. from Desolace, but i dont remember which, it just drove me insane, i was there for 3 days straight and i couldn't get it rare

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » January 6th, 2014, 4:36 am

Down to 8 7 5 4 3 green wild pets, that I need to find in blue.

Contemplating stoning them because:
- Arctic Fox Kit - Because it never snows..
- Cheetah Cub - Because there are 2-3 spawns in a huge zone. A guy killed the "mother" cheetah, 9/1-14, and left an unguarded blue cub to me :D
- Crow - Because they only exist as secondary pets, ~10% of the time, and only one week per month. Scratch that.. Got lucky 7/1-14 :)
- Irradiated Roach - Because there are virtually no spawns.. For the longest time, I was happy to have a GREY! Got lucky 16/1-14. No more gnoam starting zone for me, EVAH!!
- Snowy Owl - Because I've had a green since 21/12-13, and can't find a blue, and winter is waning..
- Stunted Shardhorn - Because there are less spawns than Emerald Proto Whelp. Got lucky 10/1-14
- Turkey - Because I hate Alliance guards. Got lucky 10/1-14
- Undercity Rat - Because even though my bank toon is in Undercity, they hide too well.

But shelling out 2500g per stone, when i have 100+ green non-wild pets, seems pointless.. /SIGH
Last edited by FuxieDK on January 17th, 2014, 4:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » January 8th, 2014, 10:26 am

For pets "stuck in trees" make a target macro and an "interact with target" macro to engage in battle.

Also I got my Turkey as a secondary to the worgs... lots of spawns... and respawn fast.

For irradiated roach I made a lot of little gnomes on low pop servers, also for fluxfire.

Oh, I'll also stone a wild pet if I want a specific breed in rare and it comes in a lot of breeds, like Flayer Youngling.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » January 8th, 2014, 4:30 pm

I know of the Interact method.. But there are still not very many rhinos in the first place :(
Turkeys doesn't proc off wolves very often for me.. Maybe one in 10-15.. And then it needs to be rare... Even worse than alliance guards :P
Have an ally toon parked looking for the roaches... No luck though..

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » January 9th, 2014, 8:28 pm

I guess because I do the Panda dailies mostly every day I just stone whatever I want to now. I spent my fair share of time hunting rares and I remember being pretty judicious with upgrading the hard to find ones (Giraffe calf took me roughly 7 years). I don't have as many as Gilroy, but ever after selling some on /2 I have well over 100 stones in the bank.

Maxsee
Pet Score:3319
Realm:Gorgonnash-us

Post by Maxsee » January 9th, 2014, 9:14 pm

I stone quite a number of pets ranging from Unholy Valky'r, Emerald Dragon, Scourged Whelping .... etc ...but tat's becoz i got more than 100 stones.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » January 10th, 2014, 3:53 am

FuxieDK wrote:- Turkey (2 small spawn points, crawling with alliance guards).
I got mine on my Rogue. Any stealthy should be able to get in there without any problems. If you don't have a stealthy, Potion of Invisibility should get you in—or a friendly Rogue may Shroud you in. Worst that can happen is you aggro something and have to kill half the town. :P The good thing is that in Valgarde there are two that spawn right in the middle of the town, but you don't aggro any NPCs from that spot. I stealthed in, and the very 1st Turkey was a poor S/S, which was what I was looking for.
- Stunted Shardhorn.. Because most of them are stuck inside trees, and not many spawn.
You can set a keybind to “Interact With Target.” I reassigned 'T' to interact, seeing I wasn't using it for anything else. Then just make a macro: /target Stunted Shardhorn. The funny thing is I was going by there a few weeks ago, and I checked the one in the tree, just out of curiosity, and it was Rare—though I didn't need it. The interact with target keybind is also useful for those Rabid Nut Varmints and Robo-Chicks behind the buildings in Winterspring. Just get on the other side (outside) of the wall and face away.

Jade Oozeling isn't a problem on dead servers. But Undercity Rat? Yeah, there just aren't enough of them, unlike the Stormwind Rat where the city is swarming with them. I sense bubonic plague incoming... ;^)

Fjord Rat is another one where there isn't enough of them. I have one. But quite frankly I don't want to waste a battle-stone on a B/B. Either of the other three breeds looks better for Flurry.

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » January 14th, 2014, 6:54 am

I have stoned the following wild pets:
[pet]Crow[/pet]
[pet]Fluxfire Feline[/pet] (was driving me insane!)
[pet]Minfernal[/pet]
[pet]Unborn Val'kyr[/pet]
[pet]Wanderer's Festival Hatchling[/pet]

And will stone:
[pet]Giraffe Calf[/pet]
@TamerWakamaru

Corah
Pet Score:13509
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Corah » January 18th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Hootstwo wrote:I guess because I do the Panda dailies mostly every day I just stone whatever I want to now. I spent my fair share of time hunting rares and I remember being pretty judicious with upgrading the hard to find ones (Giraffe calf took me roughly 7 years). I don't have as many as Gilroy, but ever after selling some on /2 I have well over 100 stones in the bank.
Either you're very lucky, or I'm very unlucky because for me, stones are hard to come by. I also do the bag pet dailies every day.

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » January 18th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Corah wrote:
Hootstwo wrote:I guess because I do the Panda dailies mostly every day I just stone whatever I want to now. I spent my fair share of time hunting rares and I remember being pretty judicious with upgrading the hard to find ones (Giraffe calf took me roughly 7 years). I don't have as many as Gilroy, but ever after selling some on /2 I have well over 100 stones in the bank.
Either you're very lucky, or I'm very unlucky because for me, stones are hard to come by. I also do the bag pet dailies every day.
Well, I do more than just the bag dailies. Every day (pretty much), I do all the beasts of fable quests (3 bags there), all the pandaren spirits (4 there), all the zone trainers too. It's a RARE day that I don't get at least 1 stone, but I'd say normally 2 and a pet for the AH.

I also normally do somewhere between 20 and 50 pvp matches per day, and there's a decent drop rate for stones there too.

Corah
Pet Score:13509
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Corah » January 18th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Well, I do more than just the bag dailies. Every day (pretty much), I do all the beasts of fable quests (3 bags there), all the pandaren spirits (4 there), all the zone trainers too. It's a RARE day that I don't get at least 1 stone, but I'd say normally 2 and a pet for the AH.

I also normally do somewhere between 20 and 50 pvp matches per day, and there's a decent drop rate for stones there too.
That explains a lot :) I do the zone trainers and most of the pandaren masters. I think my stones are more spread out because I do the trainers on alts that I've parked.

Tiberria
Pet Score:4436
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Tiberria » January 18th, 2014, 8:20 pm

I personally just stone whatever I want to have leveled that I can't find a rare version of with one sweep of spawn points on both my main server and my second account that has a L90 on The Venture Co (non CRZ RP-PvP server that is great for finding rare anything on). I would much rather burn stones on getting rares of the breeds that I want rather than settle for finding a blue of a breed I don't want (or drive myself crazy trying to find rares of specific breeds of things like Flayer Younglings).

Plus, there really aren't that many non wild pets that are green and that are worth stoning. There's maybe 20 in total; in most cases there are catchable versions with duplicate movesets and better breed availability. If the pet isn't good for battling, there really isn't any reason it needs to be stoned and/or leveled. I also find doing the dailies regularly gives me more stones than I could ever use anyway.