Is it worth waiting for rare quality pets?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Grantus
Pet Score:7874
Realm:Ravencrest-eu
Is it worth waiting for rare quality pets?

Post by Grantus » April 15th, 2024, 2:40 am

I have been neglecting capturing wild pets for several expansions right now and I am trying to catch up. But my usual method of going through hundreds of wild pets to find a rare is getting too grindy with these amounts - so I was wondering, how many of you spend hours searching for the rare pets? Or do you just capture the first one you meet wit a good breed and stone it up if you need it later?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Is it worth waiting for rare quality pets?

Post by Quintessence » April 15th, 2024, 8:03 am

My priorities for capturing wild pets are in this order:
1. Pet I don't have
2. Pet with the right color (if color variants exist)
3. Quality (higher the better) and breed

For me it's less stressful to just capture as I go. If I happen to find a rare version of one I already have, I'll capture it and release the lower quality version. If I can't find a rare quality version at all, no worries, I'll just buy a stone and upgrade it that way.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Daned
MVP
Pet Score:13914
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Daned » April 15th, 2024, 12:09 pm

I agree with Quintessence and prioritize the same way. It's also much easier to get battle pet stones now, so raising a Poor-quality pet to rare by buying a stone is often more time-efficient than doing 20 battles trying to find a rare one.

Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:13143
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpooha » April 15th, 2024, 4:37 pm

It depends on where you are in the collecting game, how you are set up and how much you value your time.

Very early on in my journey, I spent a lot of time trying to capture rare pets at their highest level I went through the map and looked at where pets spawned and where they were at their highest level.

It worked for a long time. I think it was the Horny Toad that broke me. After spending hours looking for a rare, I finally gave in and captured the next one and stoned it. But that was in the days when upgrade stones weren't as easy to get as they are now.

If you have an alt army, it makes sense to send them all to a WQ that rewards an upgrade stone. That would be less time than searching for an elusive rare. But if you only have one or two characters, capturing a rare may save an upgrade stone for pets that you can't get as a rare.

It also depends on how many pets you need to capture. If it's 50 or so, I'd use upgrade stones. If it's more like 500, it's going to take a lot of time one way or the other.

There are other factors involved. I wouldn't waste a lot of time looking for a rare version of one of the weather spawned pets. But if it's something as common as a Rat, it makes more sense to look for the rare.

Dalandius
Pet Score:13320
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Dalandius » April 26th, 2024, 3:02 pm

100% agree with Quintessence and with the ease that you can get pet upgrade stone it is not worth hunting down a rare version of a pet.

Cardee
Top Rater
Pet Score:13848
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Cardee » April 29th, 2024, 9:45 am

Just want to add that the only way you can get the right pet color and the right breed is by catching a wild pet with those characteristics. But you can change your pet's rarity and level. So I just want to echo that instead of looking for a rare, your time is better spent finding pets in the right color and the right breed and then working on various ways to get rare upgrade stones and polished pet tokens from world quests.

Once upon a time, I worked on finding wild pets in the right color, the right breed, AND in rare quality. Now that's a grind. But sometimes it's the grind that makes pet collecting fun. Not gonna lie, there's still that awesome rush that you get when you come across a wild pet that is in the right color and the right breed AND is rare. And it still hurts my soul when I come across a wild pet that's a rare but in the wrong color or breed.