Update others collections

Report bugs and share your ideas to improve WarcraftPets.
Goldash
Pet Score:4825
BattleTag®:Insane#1813
Realm:Barthilas-us
Update others collections

Post by Goldash » May 7th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Is it or could it be possible to Import/Update other peoples collections for comparisons?

Guildox does a similar feed process for updating yourself, but you can also do this for others using the Update button above their portrait.
http://www.guildox.com/wow/toon/us/Barthilas/Goldash

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Update others collections

Post by Jerebear » May 7th, 2014, 7:10 pm

I would be nervous about that. As many bugs as the WoW armory has when it comes to new pets, I would hate to have pets disappear/get messed up in my collection here. I tend to avoid updating on this site when new stuff comes out cause Blizz doesn't update the armory in a timely manner. Once the dust settles, then I update.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Goldash

Post by Goldash » May 7th, 2014, 8:04 pm

I've never had an issue with updating my own collection, except getting new pets to update. I don't see there being anything to be nervous about other than adding in some capture functionality to stop bot spam.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 8th, 2014, 12:09 am

Personally I dislike the stalker aspect of the armory nowadays (they literally list everything you pick up, achieve, etc) and would not want to see it replicated here.

More practically speaking, there's times where I'm switching out breeds and my collection is a mess (which it is right now). I don't want that reflected on this site until I feel like my collection is once again ready for viewing. It'd be like having someone show up at your door when your house is a mess... all you want to do is say, "Can you come back later?"

Goldash

Post by Goldash » May 8th, 2014, 12:53 am

I thought the idea of sites like this was to share information/pets and compare collections with ladders and such. I don't see the point of ladder systems with out of date information.

If your house is a mess, someone makes mention of it. It gives you more inspiration to clean it. That being applied to the game, more inspiration to continue doing things with your collection.

If you don't want others to see your house, don't list it.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 8th, 2014, 4:07 am

Goldash wrote:I thought the idea of sites like this was to share information/pets and compare collections with ladders and such. I don't see the point of ladder systems with out of date information.
The original purpose of WarcraftPets was to provide individuals with the ability to keep track of their own collections. As a bonus/side effect of having collections listed online, it allowed players to also share their collection details with others should they desire to.

That isn't to say that we'll never introduce an import/update system similar to GuildOx, but that's something that needs thorough consideration. Breanni will make the final decision on this; feedback regarding it is appreciated.

What would be the purpose/end goal for force updating someone else's collection? To see how "well" someone else is doing in comparison to your own collection? Although collecting/battling can be competitive for some, it's largely a non-competitive style of gameplay. Many want to just be free to collect, update their collections when ready, and share it if desired.
Goldash wrote:I thought the idea of sites like this was to share information/pets and compare collections with ladders and such. I don't see the point of ladder systems with out of date information.
I don't know how heavily WarcraftPets should lean towards pushing the ranking/ladder system, to be honest. There are already many websites that have this information and their own scoring system. Personally, I'm ok if our rankings aren't as up to date as other websites. For me, it's not about where I stand but whether or not I'm happy with my own collection.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » May 8th, 2014, 12:59 pm

If you don't want others to see your house, don't list it.
I use this site to learn about pets (anything from new ones coming out to tips on tamers), to organize my own collection in a neat visual format, and to trade.

Since sites like guildox and wowprogress exist, I always assumed those were the "ladders" for people who wanted to rate how they compare to others. So are you asking for something similar? Then it wouldn't matter if I wanted to "list my house" or not, as rankings wouldn't be accurate without importing all collections. But there are some folks on here who chose to not list their collections, so would they be allowed to opt out?

Goldash

Post by Goldash » May 8th, 2014, 5:43 pm

Armory must be close to accurate, otherwise the import on this site wouldn't work correctly.

I like the compare functionality this site has for cross referencing other players pets with your own.
http://www.warcraftpets.com/account/compare/
I also like the ladder functionality of Site / Servers this site has.
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/search/?region=US&realm=Barthilas
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/top/account/
But these options are a bit redundant if you cant compare upto date information and given that the functionality to update already exists I wouldn't see it as too far of an idea to implement.

A friend of mine doesn't log on here very often, he told me he updated all his pets to rare. I wanted to check whether he had missed any pets due to some pets being unable to be stoned. He has 7 duplicates and 100 uncommon pets. Meaning any comparison/ladder information is redundant.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » May 8th, 2014, 5:52 pm

Sorry, obviously I was in mid-edit on my post while you were writing yours, hence my comment about armory was removed as I realized after the fact that it wasn't very relevant, given that everyone is equally affected by the problem with rarities of kites/pages/grunts.

What I did edit in after some thought was, how accurate is a ladder that only includes member accounts who've uploaded their collections? I know that some players that have higher rankings than me according to other sites don't use this one at all. And other members choose not to upload their collections.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » May 8th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Goldash wrote:I've never had an issue with updating my own collection, except getting new pets to update. I don't see there being anything to be nervous about other than adding in some capture functionality to stop bot spam.
Not everyone runs into the same issues all the time.

Here's an example:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9975

At the start it was just about not getting the treasure goblin to show up. Later on you find people losing pets out of their collection due to the armory issues. During that time, I refrained from updating my armory to avoid losing pets out of the collection here. Once everything settled, I continued updating.

From a privacy standpoint I don't mind at all if people want to view my collection. I just don't want other peeps getting impatient and changing my version of the collection. If the site wanted to add a way for you to see an up to date copy of my collection without changing what I can see and manage in my profile, that is fine too. There are some of us who use the site to manage their collection more so than share it (not that we won't share it, but that is not why we use the site). Everyone is different. We don't all use the same tools the same way.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Breanni » May 20th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Jerebear wrote:Everyone is different. We don't all use the same tools the same way.
Well put, Jerebear.

I definitely understand the need for a site that specializes in progress and ranked comparisons to have up-to-date data. But as Quint pointed out, the main purpose of WarcraftPets is to serve as a source of information about pet collecting and battling, as well as a place to manage your pet collection. The ladder and realm rankings serve more of a secondary role.

For this reason, along with the Armory import bugs that others have mentioned, I don't see this as something we're likely to pursue. But additional feedback on the topic is always welcome.