Addon Rematch

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu
Re: Addon Rematch

Post by Iibis » December 12th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Jerebear wrote:For example, I might set a min health for Flowing Pandaren spirit because I know there are no more than X number of tidal waves cast. However, if it is an elemental pet, they take 50% more damage, so the health of an elemental carry pet needs to be 50% higher. Conversely, a magic pet takes 33% less damage so it only needs 67% of the min health.
I was thinking about this too, but then I thought that there most likely wouldn't be a pretty way to implement all those options, so I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary. I think maybe if the whole team options would pullout on top of the pet/team list, then there might be visually space to have a "weak" and "resistant" families listed side by side and you could choose (bullet checkbox style) the families from that. And then a field for hp requirements for those families. I don't know if that's a major pain to code though!

Edit. I didn't remember the save window was an individual window and not on top of the main window, so space isn't an issue really in that sense. :)

Edit. #2 Behold my paint skills! :D Maybe something like this?

I don't know if those more/less hp should be done with calculations since it's a known reduction / increase in damage taken, or if it should be just up to the user how much buffer they want to still be on the safe side.

Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Gello » December 12th, 2014, 6:47 pm

I can see value in the vulnerable types, to skip over pets that would die due to taking more damage.

But is the resistant one necessary? The goal is to set a threshold so it will survive. If the min health is set so an unresistant pet will survive, a resistant pet will survive too.

I can see value in that if you want to tune min health to give preferential selection to resistant types, but then if it finds none to meet the criterea it would pick the top-most pets.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » December 12th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Then perhaps just changing "Cancel" to "Close Menu" (since "Close" might make people think it will close Rematch)? A minor thing, but still a quality of life issue. :)

Iibis

Post by Iibis » December 13th, 2014, 3:59 am

Gello wrote:But is the resistant one necessary? The goal is to set a threshold so it will survive. If the min health is set so an unresistant pet will survive, a resistant pet will survive too.
I suppose it's mainly the situation where you have a leveling pet A in your queue. You then go to the next trainer and Rematch checks whether it's able to survive. If it's resistant & has the min resistant health, it won't change your current queued pet for the next one. If it doesn't meet the minimum requirements, the next pet that does will be chosen.

However, of course depending on the type of queue you have, it might probably be quite rare to have that situation where for that particular tamer your pet A is resistant AND is above minimum resistant health threshold AND has less than minimum normal health. But of course, it could be that the next pet in line would fall in that narrow gap. Power-user fiddling at its best. :)

Niasi
Top Rater
Pet Score:12568
Realm:Azralon-us

Post by Niasi » December 15th, 2014, 12:54 pm

First of all, I love the addon. I thought I would be using it only to save my teams, but I ended up forgetting the default pet journal. I already "forced" some friends to give it a try (some people are too scared of new addons xD) and now they love it too! :D Thanks a lot for your work.

As of right now there is only one thing that really bugs me. When you have a team with a leveling slot loaded and you drag a pet from the list (not the queue) to that slot, instead of just placing the pet there it will add it to the leveling queue (if the pet is not lvl 25, ofc). As a consequence the team would be saved with a leveling slot. Besides, when dragging a pet that is currently on the leveling slot (from the journal list, not the slot itself), the slot becomes a leveling slot. It bugs me because sometimes I search for which pets make a good team against a tamer or to carry lowbies and I just want to save the team for later even if I don't have that particular pet on 25. Of course there are ways to work around it, I myself saved a "Default" team with no leveling slots. When I want to save a team with lowbies for future use but a team with a leveling slot is loaded, I load the "Default" team and drag the pets I want to the slots. A friend was having it a little harder, removing all pets from the queue in order to make the leveling slot go away.

Is there a way to change how this works? Making it so that the only way to put a leveling slot on a team would be dragging the golden slot to the team, maybe? At least for me, if I was dragging a pet with the purpose of starting leveling it, I would most likely place it on the golden slot instead of on my team. Idk if it's just me but maybe more people get frustrated by the same thing.

Also, my window is currently on its default size. I'd like it to get a bit larger, but the size it gets when that checkbox is marked is just too big for my screen! Could there be a medium option? Resizing it horizontally wouldn't do it since I'd like to keep the original proportion. Either way I'm looking forward to the next update, I just hope it doesn't get too heavy from having so many functions. :D (Sorry for the wall of text, tried to make it as clear as I could! orz)

Gello

Post by Gello » December 15th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Niasi wrote:As of right now there is only one thing that really bugs me. When you have a team with a leveling slot loaded and you drag a pet from the list (not the queue) to that slot, instead of just placing the pet there it will add it to the leveling queue (if the pet is not lvl 25, ofc). As a consequence the team would be saved with a leveling slot. Besides, when dragging a pet that is currently on the leveling slot (from the journal list, not the slot itself), the slot becomes a leveling slot. It bugs me because sometimes I search for which pets make a good team against a tamer or to carry lowbies and I just want to save the team for later even if I don't have that particular pet on 25. Of course there are ways to work around it, I myself saved a "Default" team with no leveling slots. When I want to save a team with lowbies for future use but a team with a leveling slot is loaded, I load the "Default" team and drag the pets I want to the slots. A friend was having it a little harder, removing all pets from the queue in order to make the leveling slot go away.

Is there a way to change how this works? Making it so that the only way to put a leveling slot on a team would be dragging the golden slot to the team, maybe? At least for me, if I was dragging a pet with the purpose of starting leveling it, I would most likely place it on the golden slot instead of on my team. Idk if it's just me but maybe more people get frustrated by the same thing.
This is an interesting angle I've not considered or heard of before.

One problem with classifying leveling pets as only loadout slots that contain pets dragged from the gold-bordered leveling slot is that a team could never be saved with more than one leveling pet.

Would you be ok if, while saving, there was a button beneath each pet in the save window to un-leveling-slot it? If that makes sense.

Actually, this creates a huge issue with how loadout pets are classified as leveling pets. I'm glad you brought it up but it will take some serious thought on how to implement this dual nature of pets.

Niasi
Top Rater
Pet Score:12568
Realm:Azralon-us

Post by Niasi » December 16th, 2014, 10:20 am

The un-leveling-slot option sounds good to me. Or maybe an option on right-click to turn it back into a normal slot (without having to open the save window). A checkbox (or a lock) to lock that team as a no-leveling slot team... Idk, I can think of some ways but I have no idea if they're practical. I assume draggintg the golden slot twice wouldn't make much sense since you'd be dragging the same pet, right?

By the way, is there a command to load a specific team? I could use a bind to my "Default" since it is the PWS + Chrominius combo and I load it all the time anyway.

(Oopsy there were some words missing before the edit)

Gello

Post by Gello » December 16th, 2014, 2:11 pm

How about this: if a team being saved contains pets that are in the leveling queue, a checkbox will appear "Save leveling pets as themselves". Checking it will remove the gold border from the pets and when you load the team later it will load those pets themselves. A tooltip can explain what the checkbox is for.

It's possible to create a system where leveling pets can sometimes be leveling pets and sometimes not while in a loadout slot, but it creates a level of complexity I'd like to avoid.

A macro command to load a team is:

Code: Select all

/run Rematch:LoadTeam("Team Name")

Gello

Post by Gello » December 22nd, 2014, 11:16 am

Two questions:

1) In a Type (pet families) sort order for the queue, would you prefer as a secondary sort:
a) Ascending levels
b) Descending levels
c) The order they exist in the unsorted queue

Letting the user choose a secondary sort is very doable, but it'd be for a future update. I want the queue to be simple to understand and use before packing a bunch more stuff into the queue menu.

2) How attached are you guys to the leveling pet "navigation" buttons in the current pet area? That's the little gold left/right arrows that appear when you hover over a loaded leveling pet, to change to a different pet.

I realize that even with leveling pet criterea there are times you want to change what pet to load. The always-at-top method sort of prohibits the prev/next buttons: Even in an unsorted queue, if a pet is chosen as the new active leveling pet, it goes to the top of the queue and the pet that was previously at top is now second. Choosing next again will choose the pet that just left. So it'd be swapping two pets instead of traversing the queue.

I can rotate the whole queue so the active pet remains at top and old active one goes to bottom, but that seems counter to using the queue as a preferential list.

I can also skip over pets that were loaded, but it wouldn't be obvious which pet will load next.

The next/previous concept also gets weird with multiple leveling pets in a team.

At the moment I'm leaning to just removing the buttons entirely. It takes one click to expand the window if it wasn't already expanded and then a double-click on a pet in the queue to choose a new one. It seems like the added complexity for the convenience of those buttons is not a good tradeoff.

As an aside, I have the reworked queue working now (mostly, working on pet criterea this week) and aside from this snag I'm very very happy with the results. The code and behavior is a lot more straightforward than the slot+queue+sort+rotate house of cards it was before.

If curious here's the current plans:
The overall behavior of the queue is streamlined to:
  • The leveling slot above the queue will always contain the top-most pet in the queue. Always.
  • The queue can be sorted in four different orders: Ascending (low to high level), Median (closest to level 10.5), Descending (high to low level), and Type (Humanoid then Dragonkin etc).
  • While the queue is sorted, all pets except the top-most pet are sorted. This allows sorting the queue and still keeping a current leveling pet at the top you're working on.
  • If Full Sort is enabled, then even the top pet is included in the sort and it can change as pets gain xp or get added to the queue.
Support for multiple leveling slots:
  • When saving a team, any loaded pets that are also in the queue will reserve those slots for future leveling pets. Each loaded leveling pet will have a gold border.
  • When a team loads, each leveling slot will be filled from the top-most pets in the queue.
Leveling pet criterea:
  • When saving a team that contains leveling pets, a button will appear in the lower left of the save dialog to expand for these options:
    • Minimum Health: To ensure a leveling pet will survive the fight, this will skip any pets whose max health falls below the entered value.
    • Allow Magic and Mechanical: This option allows even low-health Magic and Mechanical pets to be loaded, since they can always survive one hit.
    • Maximum Level: To prevent wasting xp, you can choose to set an upper level. This can be a partial amount. For instance a level 23.5 pet is level 23 with 50% xp towards 24.
  • If pets in the queue can't be found to meet all of these criterea, it will choose the top-most pets in the queue not already chosen.
Notable changes from previous versions:
  • For those who used Auto Rotate+Ascending or Auto Rotate+Median, Full Sort+Ascending and Full Sort+Median will have the same behavior.
  • The old forced rotate behavior of Auto Rotate+Unsorted and Auto Rotate+Descending has been removed.
  • The Previous/Next buttons on the current leveling pet have been removed.
Pet types as criterea will likely be for a future update also. I hope to have these changes in an update this coming weekend now that work has slowed down with some time off for the holidays.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » December 22nd, 2014, 11:41 am

IMHO I'd say remove the navigation buttons, if it makes the system harder to work with it's not getting any benefit. Since the system reorders when you pick the pet, could you instead have it be a preview next / previous? You'd need to add a 3rd button "confirm choice" or somesuch, but for those people who don't like clicking the pets button and picking a pet, it would work for them. Me, I like popping up the list and picking which pet I want to use, so I never used the buttons.

Iibis

Post by Iibis » December 22nd, 2014, 12:50 pm

Gello wrote:1) In a Type (pet families) sort order for the queue, would you prefer as a secondary sort:
If I were to pick just one, it would probably be by ascending levels.
Gello wrote: 2) How attached are you guys to the leveling pet "navigation" buttons in the current pet area?
Honestly I've never used them. I always have the window expanded since, for me at least, it's a lot more convenient and faster to check the queue and pick another leveling pet from the list rather than rotating through the list with arrow buttons.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » December 22nd, 2014, 2:06 pm

1) I don't really have a preference but I'd think Ascending or Descending until you can add secondary sort option to the menu is makes sense.

2) I do use them some right now but wouldn't be to upset at their loss given the obvious issues you described and the ability to easily move something else to the top.

Gello

Post by Gello » December 22nd, 2014, 5:00 pm

Thanks guys. I'll leave those prev/next buttons on the chopping block for now, and think about alternate ways of traversing the queue for the future.

And ascending it is for the type sort. To be honest I didn't think that sort would be all that useful, but I can see it being useful when you want to level a particular type but don't have one in mind. So thanks Iibis for the suggestion too!

Iibis

Post by Iibis » December 27th, 2014, 12:43 pm

I noticed a bug when renaming teams. A team disappears entirely if I choose Rename team -> the whole name is highlighted, don't do anything (I did ctrl+C when I noticed this, but it didn't matter) -> press ok. If I choose "cancel" then the team is still intact. I've noticed that some of my teams might have disappeared every once in a while ("I'm sure I had another team for this") but only now that I was renaming my menagerie teams I noticed how it actually happened. :)

Gello

Post by Gello » December 27th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Iibis wrote:I noticed a bug when renaming teams. A team disappears entirely if I choose Rename team -> the whole name is highlighted, don't do anything (I did ctrl+C when I noticed this, but it didn't matter) -> press ok. If I choose "cancel" then the team is still intact. I've noticed that some of my teams might have disappeared every once in a while ("I'm sure I had another team for this") but only now that I was renaming my menagerie teams I noticed how it actually happened. :)
Woops. Thanks for mentioning it! This is fixed for the next update.

Waveryn
Pet Score:13711
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » December 29th, 2014, 10:30 am

Nice thread, I did not read every post so if this was mentioned I am sorry.
I use pet battle teams but had rematch loaded also and decided to try it a few weeks ago from scratch and create teams for each Plushie Fight different from my 2 pet daily teams in pet battle teams.
All was going well learning Rematch and I had created and saved 6-8 teams when suddenly WoW minimized and I see windows doing a re-start for updates. UGH!!
I had hopes since I saved the teams they would be there but they were all gone, I can only guess one must log out normally before any teams made are truly saved, this could hurt in any situation where the computer/game goes down and I am not sure how but it would be nice if each time a team is saved that information is written in a saved variables folder (or wherever) in the add-on instead of when the game is logged off of for the day.
Wave

Gello

Post by Gello » December 29th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Waveryn wrote:Nice thread, I did not read every post so if this was mentioned I am sorry.
I use pet battle teams but had rematch loaded also and decided to try it a few weeks ago from scratch and create teams for each Plushie Fight different from my 2 pet daily teams in pet battle teams.
All was going well learning Rematch and I had created and saved 6-8 teams when suddenly WoW minimized and I see windows doing a re-start for updates. UGH!!
I had hopes since I saved the teams they would be there but they were all gone, I can only guess one must log out normally before any teams made are truly saved, this could hurt in any situation where the computer/game goes down and I am not sure how but it would be nice if each time a team is saved that information is written in a saved variables folder (or wherever) in the add-on instead of when the game is logged off of for the day.
Unfortunately there's no practical way for an addon to write its stuff to disk on its own. Blizzard removed all file i/o from the addon sandbox and has gone to extraordinary lengths to prevent addons from saving stuff in real time. The best an addon could do is a complete /reload to write stuff out, which would be very annoying to even the most patient users.

It's not something you could plan for, but if you ever find yourself spending a lot of time setting up an addon, it never hurts to /reload when you have things how you like it. This will write everything to saved variables so you won't lose your work if the game crashes (or is shut down from the computer restarting).

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » December 29th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Yeah. Over the years blizzard has really clamped down on what Add-ons can do. As someone who played back in the day I can remember decursive where you'd literally spam one button and it would automatically target and cure people or mana saving add-ons that would automatically cancel a heal at the last second if it was going to be overhealing. I also remember the augmented reality add-ins that added overlays telling you exactly how big ae damage areas would be or exactly the range around you that some ae would hit.

Blizzard has clamped down on so many of these things over the years as people figure out interesting stuff to do with them that Blizzard doesn't want people doing. Off hand I'd guess the add-ins not being able to write out directly is probably related to botting and cutting off one source of information for them.

Discodoggy
Pet Score:9713
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Discodoggy » January 2nd, 2015, 12:07 am

Thanks for the great job with Rematch, I've recent made the switch from PBT. I really enjoy the tabs and the search function.

One thing that I'm having trouble with is waiting in the PvP queue. When I am queued with a certain team and I click on another team I get a string of 17 messages in my text box stating "You can't do that in a matched pet battle". After this happens, when it is time to accept the battle sometimes I get a red error message "You need to equip a pet" and other times my moves are not the same as what I queued with. The easy solution would be to not click on another team while I'm queued, but sometimes I click on another team accidentally. Are there any settings that I can change so that this doesn't happen?

Gello

Post by Gello » January 2nd, 2015, 12:19 am

Discodoggy wrote:Thanks for the great job with Rematch, I've recent made the switch from PBT. I really enjoy the tabs and the search function.

One thing that I'm having trouble with is waiting in the PvP queue. When I am queued with a certain team and I click on another team I get a string of 17 messages in my text box stating "You can't do that in a matched pet battle". After this happens, when it is time to accept the battle sometimes I get a red error message "You need to equip a pet" and other times my moves are not the same as what I queued with. The easy solution would be to not click on another team while I'm queued, but sometimes I click on another team accidentally. Are there any settings that I can change so that this doesn't happen?
I'll look into that. Thanks for the report!

edit: This is fixed for next update which will likely be tomorrow (Friday).