My Pet Collection
You've collected 0 pets

Best pets of 7.3

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Rosqo

Pet Score: 4721
Realm: Silvermoon-EU

Best pets of 7.3

Postby Rosqo » September 29th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Now that the new 7.3 pets have been out for a month or so I thought it would be worth discussing the best pets of this new patch.

I would say the best pets are:

Fel-afflicted skyfin - one of the strongest if not the strongest pet to be released in this patch. Hard hitting dot in combination with a damage increase debuff and a forced swap let this pet get out a lot of damage before it's taken down. The flying racial allows it to be quicker more often than not too which is really important in the current meta.

Blazehound- another top level pet having a trap and a forced swap whilst being relatively fast at 305 speed on the s/b breed is a really strong combo. Basically any pet with traps are good but the swap just generally messes with any opponents tactics.

Infernal Pyreclaw - probably a pet that a lot of people have underrated or not played yet. Has a speed boost to get faster than the majority of other pets that can reduce damage fairly often. Cleave is useful especially once the beast racial kicks in. Then a choice between one of the hardest hitting aoe abilities in Great Sting which is literally OP ticks for around 850 without the racial and nearly 1k with (assuming 3 pets) or shell shield that has great synergy with being faster for the extra round of damage protection.

Rebellious imp - a strong pet that can do substantial damage from the backline with immolation while benefiting from its racial to heal back up. It's priority feign in portal allows the free swap that can be great in a lot of situations. I'm surprised I haven't seen this on any sunny day teams yet as there would be considerable synergy and it would make up for the low damage output of those kind of teams.

Twilight clutch sister- this pet just has the strongest burst aoe ability in the game which if combined with the dragonkin racial can hit for crazy numbers. The dodge can also be nice and it's not the slowest pet ever at 289 speed.

There are some other nice pets but I don't believe they are quite at the same level these are amalgamation of destruction, dibbler, pygmy marsuul, skyfin juvenile, tinytron and void shardling. All these pets are viable and will do well but are not quite in the same bracket as the first 5 I mentioned.

What are your thoughts? It would be cool if there's any im missing or have underrated.

Biscuit
Top Rater

Pet Score: 5442
Realm: Jaedenar-US

Re: Best pets of 7.3

Postby Biscuit » September 30th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Completely agree with your choices here.

I'm gonna have to add the Ghost Shark to this list.
Terrible HP, but very strong when coupled with a Haunt pet.

<Haunt pet of your choice>
Ghost Shark
<Blood in the Water or Maul pet>

Haunt -> Bleed -> BinW -> Consume Corpse

Strong example would be...

Wicked Soul
Ghost Shark
Curious Wolvar Pup

Spinning

Pet Score: 1239
Realm: Fordragon-EU

Postby Spinning » September 30th, 2017, 5:17 pm

I'd say Twilight sister is the best. Insanely strong. I love Tinytron too though.

Nagini
Top Rater

Pet Score: 5377
Realm: Kael'thas-US

Postby Nagini » October 1st, 2017, 3:52 am

Twilight clutch sister will make your life alot easier if not outright making the new [Draconic Destruction] pet battle achievement singlehandedly possible. Alot of the tough fights for that achievement have strats that work best if you have one of these beauties leveled up.

Lordy

Pet Score: 5447

Postby Lordy » October 4th, 2017, 8:19 am

I would definitely put the pygmy pygmy marsuul S/S Breed right up there in the current PvP meta.

This pet absolutely shreds undead and with the combination of Crouch and Survival is very hard to deal with. One of my favourite bone serpent/wicked soul killers who can also remove MPD decoys with his flurry attack.

Even better his other slot 2 and 3 abilities are also very viable. Your opponent can never be 100% sure what you have picked unlike some of the other speed pets like rabbits who only ever use the same three moves. I won quite a few battles by choosing survival over feign death and wrong footing my opponent where they expected my pet to die or swap.

Drlambda

Pet Score: 5095
Realm: Arthas-EU

Postby Drlambda » October 9th, 2017, 2:10 pm

I agree with your choice of the top 5, although i'd say (like i said in discord before) that Skyfin Juvenile is stronger than you're giving credit. The other five are probably better, but it is a close sixth in that case. Not being completely awful without the racial makes me like it more than Fel-Afflicted Skyfin personally.

It's hard for me to rank them because i didn't play Blazehound enough myself, but while Rebellious Imp is "only" a solid roleplayer, Pyreclaw is a really powerful AOE pet... and then there is Clutch-Sister, and i'm honestly thinking that it's over the top and Meteor should probably be nerfed. It's not necessarily a tier 0 pet by itself, but it is an incredible sweeper. It's not hard to play and really hard to counter because even the P/S deals like 1200 damage with racial. I don't want to judge too fast, but i really think it's a pet i will hate as much as Bone Serpent and Blossoming Ancient a year from now, and that describes pretty well how strong it is in my opinion.
CloseToZero - Watch me lose on youtube with bad pets! :D

Rosqo

Pet Score: 4721

Postby Rosqo » October 10th, 2017, 7:55 am

How do you play the juvenile skyfin effectively though? You really need to build a team around it to get the most from the forced swap and wild magic combo. Without having a dot up it’s not really an advantage to swap a pet once wild magic is up. I’m preferring the h/s as the extra health before the racial drops off is good but doubt if it can successfully go head to head against the best pets. Most of the time 273 speed is useless too with the fast meta we have.

Biscuit
Top Rater

Pet Score: 5442
Realm: Jaedenar-US

Postby Biscuit » October 10th, 2017, 10:24 am

I only prioritize the Juvenile over the Fel Skyfin if I know there's a Teroclaw in the queue.

Drlambda

Pet Score: 5095
Realm: Arthas-EU

Postby Drlambda » October 10th, 2017, 12:12 pm

It works in a different setting. The Fel-Afflicted pretty much is a Haunt-Imp combo rolled into one pet, and the Juvenile is more of a synergy pet with Haunt/Rebellious Imp. Juggling doesn't really work against it, and you can often just kill a backline pet with a well-timed swap while Winds and Immolate are up. But i think the main point seems to be that i value the speed quite a bit. Beating Teroclaw speed is obviously the main argument, but you're also beating every slow pet after racial, and refreshing Wild Magic an additional time has won me quite a few games.
CloseToZero - Watch me lose on youtube with bad pets! :D

Return to Pet Battles