It's pretty but....

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Ceathra
Pet Score:2665
Realm:Area 52-us
It's pretty but....

Post by Ceathra » December 11th, 2012, 12:17 pm

I just wanted to discuss any pets we can think of that seem like cool Battle Pets, but might be more of a "Vanity Pet".

Examples:

Tiny Twister - Strong and Weak against Aquatics

Molten Hatchling- Strong and Weak against Mechanicals

I think both are great looking pet models, but just not that useful in battle...

What other pets have you run into with these drawbacks, but are fun to look at?

Pandaren Air Spirit *fiXT
Minfernal as the "suicide bomber" of pets (and the Pet Bombling maybe?)
Last edited by Ceathra on December 11th, 2012, 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Re: It's pretty but....

Post by Zaelo » December 11th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Whaaaaaat??? :shock: Molten Hatchling not good in battle?

Pardon me good sir, but the Molten Hatchling is one of my favorite pets, has been for a long time.
Use this rotation: Brittle Webbing, Leech Life, Cauterize, Leech Life
Of course don't send him against a Mechanical, it's a beast!! Send him against Critters or Humanoids for extra damage, but use him against anything that can't sustain over 400 damage per round (very few pets can) and this molten hatchling will never die.

Tiny Twister is not all that bad either. Yes, he's elemental with flying abilities, which means he takes and deals more damage to aquatics, but not all aquatic pets use aquatic abilities.

But if you're simply wanting to pin-point pets that have abilities strong against the same type that deals them more damage, then you can add Pandaren Water Spirit to that list. He is elemental and deals aquatic damage.
It doesn't mean he sucks though, I use him against every Pandaren Spirit Tamer, every day, for the dailies, and he takes down those spirits quite nicely.

Bistromath
Pet Score:3055
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Bistromath » December 11th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Ceathra wrote:I just wanted to discuss any pets we can think of that seem like cool Battle Pets, but might be more of a "Vanity Pet".

Examples:

Tiny Twister - Strong and Weak against Aquatics

Molten Hatchling- Strong and Weak against Mechanicals

I think both are great looking pet models, but just not that useful in battle...

What other pets have you run into with these drawbacks, but are fun to look at?
The Molten Hatchling is hands down one of the best battle pets in the game. You may want to use it before you go knocking it.

Ceathra
Pet Score:2665
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Ceathra » December 11th, 2012, 1:16 pm

I'll give it another run, I was finding it wasn't as useful for PvP pet battles as it was in the wild because some of it's best utility in those cases (Ele vs Mech,) was nerfed by the (Mech vs Beast) part of the equation, and those sorts of weaknesses vs players get exploited more.

It's good to know that they aren't really useless, and how you guys are using them for battles, I'll add the Pandaren Water Spirit.

Maybe I should have said, "Pets to be careful with"?

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » December 11th, 2012, 1:45 pm

I love my Molten Hatchling. Especially paired with someone who can lay down some bonus healing weather.

Brittle Webbing with Leech Life and a Cauterize every now and then. My Molten Hatchling is a beast!! (hehehe)

As to pretty pets that I like for vanity but don't use...

Hyacynth McCaw
Spirit of Competition
Frosty
Grunty
Lil' Tarecgosa
Lofty Libram

and the creme-de-la-creme of awesome looking pets I don't think I'll ever actually use...Minfernal

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » December 11th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Ceathra wrote:I'll give it another run, I was finding it wasn't as useful for PvP pet battles as it was in the wild because some of it's best utility in those cases (Ele vs Mech,) was nerfed by the (Mech vs Beast) part of the equation, and those sorts of weaknesses vs players get exploited more.
Even in PVP, the Molten Hatchling is still awesome.
As for the Ele vs Mech, if you know how to use a Molten Hatchling, you're not using any Elemental attacks.

Also, in PVP, you're a lot more likely to find pets that have attacks of a different type than the type they are. So it's even less of a factor to have an attack strong against a type that is strong against you in PVP than it is when fighting wild pets.

Last but not least, I messed up when I said Pandaren Water Spirit. He has strong attacks against Elemental but takes more damage from Aquatic. I should have said Pandaren Air Spirit, to fit better what you're looking for, since he has Flying attacks that are good against Aquatic, but Aquatic attacks are strong against him.

Sesamee
Pet Score:7258
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Sesamee » December 11th, 2012, 2:28 pm

The Molten Hatchling is one of my top pets!! I would say everyone should have one. I prefer the fast breed although others like the power/speed one.

I think for pure vanity the Minfernal definitely tops the list. I adore mine, esp because the second one I battles was a rare. He has a niche with leveling pets due to explode but other than that not terribly useful. He looks cool and that totally makes up for it though.