Question about older fishing pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Sylphine
Pet Score:11619
BattleTag®:viddy#11477
Realm:Hyjal-us
Question about older fishing pets

Post by Sylphine » April 21st, 2023, 5:14 am

I'm curious if the change to profession levels being separated way back in WoD(?) has an impact on catching pets like the Pandaria carps. I've got my Pandaria fishing skill maxed, am using a +15 pole, +5 hand enchant, +10 from the Tuskarr spear, plus a +9 lure, and am still getting goldfish on almost 70% of casts in Pandaria which I'm under the impression are the junk casts. Is this normal? I understand they're rare but it seems like with all the fishing skill I have I shouldn't have such a high junk percentage, I feel this is going to take way longer than it needs to.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Question about older fishing pets

Post by Gráinne » April 22nd, 2023, 2:39 am

70% sounds about right.

Blizzard killed Fishing in Mists, and that's how they did it; by making open-water casts produce mostly junk fish. Even the main Fishing site for WoW closed when they did that. I was really annoyed at the time. Now I just remember it as one in the many, many ways they made the game worse.

So I expect the catch rates for the Tiny [colour] Carp to be about the same that you will find in Wowhead comments - probably one in a thousand range.

Sylphine
Pet Score:11619
BattleTag®:viddy#11477
Realm:Hyjal-us

Re: Question about older fishing pets

Post by Sylphine » April 22nd, 2023, 3:52 am

Thank you very much for the info, I was worried for a bit about it.