Wrapped pets and Discovery source

Discuss content found on WoW's testing realms.
Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us
Wrapped pets and Discovery source

Post by Gello » May 15th, 2016, 8:04 am

I noticed on logging in with a character template that pets ordinarily mailed (Core Hound Pup, Mr. Chilly, etc) were wrapped in the journal.

Two questions if any know:
- Did these show up in the new "Discovery" source category before my excited rush to unwrap them? At the moment no pet is listed under "Discovery" (Filter -> Sources -> Discovery) and I'm wondering if those pets were there beforehand.
- Is there a known way to wrap pets, or is this something done just for promotional pets?

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Wrapped pets and Discovery source

Post by Jerebear » May 15th, 2016, 8:37 am

I haven't much messed with API level stuff. What is the technical difference between wrapped and discovery? Is that mailed vs just added to your account?
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 15th, 2016, 4:18 pm

Gello wrote: - Did these show up in the new "Discovery" source category before my excited rush to unwrap them? At the moment no pet is listed under "Discovery" (Filter -> Sources -> Discovery) and I'm wondering if those pets were there beforehand.
I'm not sure. I opened all of them before checking the new "Discovery" filter.
Gello wrote: - Is there a known way to wrap pets, or is this something done just for promotional pets?
Don't think there's any way to wrap pets other than wrapping caged pets. I believe the gift wrapped ones in your Pet Journal are just for promotional rewards.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Gello » May 15th, 2016, 9:29 pm

Jerebear wrote:I haven't much messed with API level stuff. What is the technical difference between wrapped and discovery? Is that mailed vs just added to your account?
I'm not sure but I suspect as Quintessence mentions the wrapped ones are likely for promotional stuff. I'm not seeing any indication that players can wrap a pet into the journal unless it's a server-side event.

In the past when we create a new character we'd have promotional pets in the mailbox waiting. Logging into the beta for the first time those pets were wrapped in the journal. Unfortunately being account-wide, creating new characters doesn't recreate that experience to explore it in more detail.

Shingetsu
Pet Score:4288
Realm:Mal'Ganis-eu

Post by Shingetsu » May 17th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Gello wrote:- Did these show up in the new "Discovery" source category before my excited rush to unwrap them? At the moment no pet is listed under "Discovery" (Filter -> Sources -> Discovery) and I'm wondering if those pets were there beforehand.
I just checked and no they are not listed under "Discovery", even if you leave them wrapped up.
They all show up under "Promotion", wrapped and unwrapped.
Gello wrote:Is there a known way to wrap pets, or is this something done just for promotional pets?
I don't think so. But I'm not 100% sure.