Celestial Tournament 101 [Full tourney + 4 beasts tips]

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us
Celestial Tournament 101 [Full tourney + 4 beasts tips]

Post by Tekulve2012 » September 11th, 2013, 6:16 am

Over a year since this thread was started! I continue to do the CTourney each week and add new teams that work to offer choices for those who lose to RNG.
==================================
Wise Mari
a thread here suggested this approach:
Gilnean Raven (1,2,1)
Dark Whelpling (1,1,1)
Spineclaw Crab (1,2,2)
I went with -Amber moth (think it was a (p/s) breed -305power 273speed-
this pet dominated the 1st 2 opponents with moth balls and standard attacks vs aquatic-cocooned a bit too
then I used crominious and the Pandaren water spirit to finish it off-
Note that i tried the p/p yellow moth 1st but lost that one ..likely rng or my bad play
===================
Blingtron 4000
Use a direhorn to start- I used the stunted direhorn -(your 1st opponent is an elemental-called Au)
I used cinderkitten next and went with leap and rend and scorched earth vs the critter
Mopped up with Fel Flame using conflag.against lil bling

I'll add another combo here which users say worked against Blingtron ..use the pets you have that work I say!:
Blingtron 4000- alternate plan!
Eternal Strider 1,1,2
Core Hound Pup 2,1,2
Dark Phoenix 1,1,1
=======================
Credit to Domie who made a post here for this 3rd battle:
Shademaster Kiryn
Crawling claw(agony,CoDoom and death grip)-curse and agonize then grip to curse the next pet
Lil Rags(sons of the flame lets you hide while pet 2 dies)then I used sulphuras smash
GilnRaven (used p/s breed but a Crow had the same stats ) Darkness and noct.strike to finish it
Others have posted that a Crimson Lasher is a good starter for this battle but I haven't tried it

Alternate approach also found on this forum thread! :
Shademaster Kiryn
Lofty Libram 2,2,2
Amethist Shale hatcling 1,2,2 (Stone skin makes the turrets useless)
DarkMoon Zeppelin 1,1,2..... Thanks for listing these great ideas Pet Battle friends!!!
=========================
Taran Zhu
I went with Nexus whelpling (p/p) / Foss.Hatchling (bonestorm!)and Nether ray fry (does shadow shock-3rd attack only)
the nexus whelp gets arcane storm up and mana surges ..

Brewmaster Chen Stormstout
I prefer this team from the 'undercard thread':
s/s cogblade raptor (xpose wounds/screech and batter)/ Sunreaver microsentry (supercharge then haywaire/laser/) P.W.Spirit -make sure to have water jet as 1st attack

MPandaren Dragonling / Anubisath Idol (use stoneskin-then crush away) then snarly for a bit at the end (rip and BITWater)
this team is ok but not 100% reliable compared to the 1st option above

Wrathion-New team suggestion -(tried as of April 2014)
1st suggestion: Swamp Croaker (Tongue lash/swarm/bubble-do swarm 1st) + Flayer youngling (s/s breed is important)+ KunLai runt or feral hopling
Option 2 = GSewer Rat (take what hurts undead and stampede to start)/ Anub Idol (sandstorm to start and attks vs dragonoid)finish with KunLai Runt
or Option 3 =GSewerRat(stampede away)/KLRunt (p/p) then Flayer Youngling- I didn't have the s/s youngling ..so it was more of a struggle -any speedy humanoid with evasion is what you want as pet 3(feral 'achievement'bunny or hopling)
:
Part 1
Loremaster ChoI went with Disgusting Ooze(living fluid works too)/Emerald Proto whelp (p/p) if you got one Finish with one strong vs dragonoid -I find the quiraji (bad spelling i know)guardling to be amazing!! -the middle ability boosts critical strike 25% ..use it and the crush atk murders!!Peddlefeet is a fine second choice

Cho beat me this week (July 2014) and I found a great 2nd team on this site with pets that most people have:
1) Any ooze that has ooze touch /acidic goo and corrosion
2) Mech.Pandaren Dragonling (Decoy/breath and bombing run atk.)
3) Anub Idol (Crush/shield) - you will not likely need Anub. much
MPD really impresses .. I plan to use this team regularly!

Dr.JonNexus Whelpling(p/p) slams this team/FelFlame - you shouldnt need a 3rd pet -I throw in a p/p emporer crab

After 10+ times doing this fight, my nexus whelp team finally lost so I used this team I read about:
Dr.Jon ~ Team 2 - Emerald Whelpling (h/s breed if possible) / Son of Animus (he kicks butt in this fight) / Emerald protoWhelp ... 2 different weeks tested and didnt need the 3rd pet either time ..should be a solid option

I found a 3rd (maybe superior) option that was in another wild pet only post:
# moths: Alpha strike/Cocoon and Moth dust (moth balls should work too)- I used a h/s Crimson Moth and got through most of the 2nd pet ..solid quick team vs Dr.Ion

PickleFeral Vermling/ Stunted Yeti/ Yellow Moth(p/p)- these 3 pets will all die but you can beat Pickle

Whoops .. lost July 2014 .. so i went with this team:
Hopling (worth getting if you dont have it yet)- Tongue lash/poison/backflip
Bonkers (try for p/s or h/s breed if you can) - Jab/dodge /tornado are the moves-not nec. in order)
Amber moth - alpha strike/cocoon + either 3rd atk
======================================================
You fight the 4 epic pets next (2 beasts-1 flying-1 dragonoid)

Unborn valkyr (CoDoom and Haunt) then Lil Bling-Inflation. Believe it or not this killed Zoa and I used these same 2(weakened)pets and approach to hammer XuFu(finished with a 3rd beast beater-(p/p) warbot -Missile)

Xu-Fu (very cool looking beast type-tiger)- another team if you dont have a Valkyr:
Darkmoon Zepp/Cogblade Raptor(s/s) and Clockwork Gnome used xposed wounds to boost turrets

Note: The Unborn Valk / lil bling + warbot team (alone) beats Zao and Xu Fu 90% of the time ..When I lost my Unborn Valkyr to rng vs Zao, I went with the following backup team vs XuFu: DM Zeppelin (decoy/missile used only) + Zandalari kneebiter (s/s breed) with Black claw then Hunting party + Zandalari Footslasher (any breed -hunting party)

Zoa (ox beast)
check above for my best strategy-
Unborn Valkyr CODoom then haunt / lil bling (inflation)and p/p warbot (use missile)
Also~ a Sunreaver or TMYeti/Cogblade Raptor(s/s) / CWGnome will work using lightning/esposed wounds and turrets
========
ChiChi is a flyer
This pet bugs me the most but another thread spells the best approach using chrominius/PWater spirit and a 3rd that has surge of power -which you may not need...follow these attacks exactly in order to be done with ChiChi:
Pandaren Water Spirit:
1. Water Jet
2. Geyser
3. Whirlpool
4. Switch to Chrominius
5. Howl (geyser, whirlpool, Stunned)
6. Surge of Power
7. Switch to Any other pet with Surge of Power.
8. Surge of Power.
Even if Chi Chi crits your chrominius, he will survive so attack away (never failed in my experience)

Voodoofigurine (for the wild magic) / disgusting ooze (acidic goo and corrosion)/ any 3rd pet good vs flyer
this approach has failed me when rng is bad RNG plagued me ...the 1st approach is superior

Yu-La- Dragonoid type
Gregarious grell solos this guy- did it again in week 2- no grell? read on below ..others have alternative options
have your dodge for the dive attack and cauterize to heal ...the 1st attack chips away over time at him
===============================
I did beat Lil Tommy whatever his name is.....
used DM Zepp(put up block then immmediately switch to tonk or yeti)/DMTonk and TMYeti -you can heal before doing this
Last edited by Tekulve2012 on March 18th, 2015, 12:12 pm, edited 48 times in total.

Silverz
MVP
Pet Score:13866
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Re: Celestial Tournament 101

Post by Silverz » September 11th, 2013, 7:16 am

I had no luck whatsoever with chi-chi. His dodge spell and healing seemed impossible and was very frustrating. I tried magic pets, and then a bunch of other pets that normally are effective vs flying. Any suggestions?

Erian
Pet Score:2435
Realm:Kil'jaeden-eu

Post by Erian » September 11th, 2013, 8:06 am

I have problem with Chi-Chi as well. Magic pets wont work, since his attack just cuts through the magic family bonus.

What worked so far: Elementium Geode and Crimson Geode got him very low with Elementium Bolt -> Feedback -> Crystal Overload (on the start of the combat: Used one Feedback to delay the whole thing by one turn). After those two pets I got him below ... 20% I think, however I did not have a pet to finish the job. :-/

I'll try a Gilnean Raven next time (dead right now ;)) for the healing debuff of darkness.
Isn't there any ability that can purge buffs (in this case that heal) from enemies?
Last edited by Erian on September 11th, 2013, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13538
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » September 11th, 2013, 8:12 am

Silverz wrote:I had no luck whatsoever with chi-chi. His dodge spell and healing seemed impossible and was very frustrating. I tried magic pets, and then a bunch of other pets that normally are effective vs flying. Any suggestions?
Me too :( And it had all been going so well until then lol :roll:
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » September 11th, 2013, 8:30 am

Did not get enough time in this morning at the tourney to put together sufficient information, but may as well get some of it out here for people who can use it. Sorry in advance for the wordiness, will clean it up when I get to try again tonight. (Note in advance: I have 2 Chrominius' which is how I got to use him for 2 fights).

vs Lorewalker Cho:
Chrominius - Howl + Surge kills Wisdom the owl dead, broom will kill Chrom before he recovers or might get 1 bite in.
Cogblade Raptor [5-S/S] - Infected Wounds + Batter to kill Patience the broom, repeat on the dragon til raptor dies.
Scourged Whelpling [6-H/H] using just Tail Swipe killed him pretty easily.

vs Dr. Ion Goldbloom (Screamer (the ptero flyer) has Feign Death, which swaps in Trike when he uses it):
Emerald Proto-whelp - Proto-strike (hit each other as both up high), Emerald Bite, Ancient Blessing (he swaps out), continue Emerald bite on Trike (you get 1st hit with non-P/P breeds), Proto-Strike if alive to do so, then Emerald Bite til whelp dies.
Darkmoon Tonk - missile till Trike dies, Screamer will be slower so you shoot before he flies up if he comes out. vs Chaos Shock & Awe + Ion Cannon then Missile til Tonk dies.
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling cast Decoy and then Breath until Chaos dies. Breath til Screamer dies (if he swapped out twice)

vs Sully "The Pickle" McLeary
Imperial Eagle Chick - Thrash , Lift-Off, Thrash, Adrenaline Rush, Thrash til he ascends. Thrash vs Monte (Lift-off after he dives, if you are still faster) til Eagle dies.
Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot [5-S/S] - Minefield, Missile til Monte dies (you are faster if S/S breed). Sticky grenade, Missile til Bot dies.
Gilnean Raven - Call Darkness + Nocturnal Strike (Alpha Strike if needed due to dodges)

Against the 4 legendary beasts I used some canned teams from my Pandaria legendaries:
vs Zao (the ox, who has a massive 990+ pt heal) a team of Zandalari raptors (3 of them, though I only needed 2) with Black Claw + Hunting Party finished him off quickly.

vs Yu'la (dragon, who has no heal, but does have a lift-off evade/attack and low health), I used a classic explode team - enchanted lantern to cast Illuminate, swap to a minfernal/netherspace abyssal and explode (make sure to use it in response to his lift-off, which he will probably open with), then a darkmoon zepplin to explode.

vs Xu'fu (tiger, 3rd ability is a claw w/massive heal) I used the "classic" burst team - Val'Kyr (unholy ascension), Pandaren Water Spirit (Geyser, Whirlpool, dies before Water Jet casts), Chrominius (Howl, Surge of Power)

vs Chi-Chi I ran out of time before the server restart, I screwed up too many times to win in time. He always starts with his tranquility (heal over 2 turns) then an attack (his only attack is a 1-2 shot elemental, with +1 attack if he's faster, which he is) then his evade (100% chance to dodge for the turn it's cast on). He doesn't always cast Tranquility when it's available, but he always uses his dodge when it's available (so far as I've seen). Mana Surge misses too often, and he hits too hard, any misses = loss. Still trying.
Last edited by Rendigar on September 11th, 2013, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leesh42
Pet Score:13033
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Leesh42 » September 11th, 2013, 9:23 am

So, wow, this is one tough tourney! Did all right for the trainers, using:

Cho: Nexus Whelping, Emerald Proto-Whelp, and Flayer Youngling (which I ended up not needing, yay)
Dr. John : Arcane Eye, Anodized Robo-cub, Wild Jade Hatchling
Pickle: Horned Lizard, Elder Python, Gilded Moth

Then I ran into issues with the celestials! I beat Chi-Ji the first time through, but then couldn't the second try. I've yet to actually beat all four, though I did beat the dragon the second attempt. Will update after I take a break before I cry. :cry:

Javdan
Top Rater
Pet Score:3372
BattleTag®:watkin#2972
Realm:Ghostlands-eu

Post by Javdan » September 11th, 2013, 9:52 am

help plzz xD

only chi chi left and i have lost over 50 pets there , tried raven , dragon , mana surge , etc , looks like mana surge is doing nice damage but needs something more there

Bloodhound
Pet Score:10904
BattleTag®:bloodinski#2120
Realm:Darkspear-eu

Post by Bloodhound » September 11th, 2013, 9:57 am

Oneshot Chi-Chi with this strategy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm1pwCwwjq4

Post by Guest » September 11th, 2013, 10:15 am

I must have gone through 200 of my 500 pets trying to win this yesterday. On the plus side I did win, think I had 4 Mech pets left at the end. I'll have to pay more attention to what I used and for who. I think Socks the undead raccoon threw me for the biggest loop thinking he was a critter ... hehe. But yeah having that kitty down to 136 HPS and then having it heal back to 1700 next turn was heart breaking. I actually got him down with 3 moths, don't ask me how. After trying different strategies on the Ox I finally went zerg method on him and the other three. (Stacking high damage buffs to go off at the same time) I just wowhead who could do curse of doom, surge of power/ion cannon and howl and used those guys. It still took me over two hours I'm glad I only have to do it once a week but sad I have to do it nine more times for all the pets!! ~ K

Zeemonster424
Top Rater
Pet Score:10893
BattleTag®:Zerou#1674
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Zeemonster424 » September 11th, 2013, 10:31 am

Thank you very much everyone for taking the time to type this up to help others out! Very much appreciated. It looks like I have some pets to level >.<

I'll chew on this a little more later. At least it looks like the type of thing once you get it down, you're golden (Like the BoF)

Delinda
Pet Score:4115
Realm:Fordragon-eu

Post by Delinda » September 11th, 2013, 10:35 am

I have a different set of champions and they are a real pain in the ass.

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » September 11th, 2013, 10:50 am

I beat Chi-Chi with three random magic pets that happened to have a damage boosting ability. He always uses Ethereal on cooldown, so just count the turns and use your boosting ability on those turns. Other than that, just all out DPS.

Xu-Fu, however, seems to be impossible to beat. Probably because I already used up most of my mechanical pets on Zao and previous trainers (the disproportionate number of beasts in the tournament is ridiculous). Got really close once, then missed at the last possible moment and lost the fight.

Darrenaf1
Pet Score:2400
Realm:Nordrassil-us

Post by Darrenaf1 » September 11th, 2013, 11:24 am

I posted how I beat the celestial pets with all easy to get in game pets In the thread "how many pets did it take for the scenario" please check it out .

Delinda
Pet Score:4115
Realm:Fordragon-eu

Post by Delinda » September 11th, 2013, 11:35 am

I'm having big problems with Taran Zhu and his monks. Has anyone managed to beat him?

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554

Post by Kpb321 » September 11th, 2013, 11:41 am

vs Lorewalker Cho:
vs Dr. Ion Goldbloom:
vs Sully "The Pickle" McLeary
I had this combo of trainers but I don't recall off hand what teams I used but I tried to avoid my classic "Good" pets to save them for later.
Against the 4 legendary beasts I used some canned teams from my Pandaria legendaries:
vs Zao (the ox, who has a massive 990+ pt heal) a team of Zandalari raptors (3 of them, though I only needed 2) with Black Claw + Hunting Party finished him off quickly.
I did this with a raptor team too and it worked well. Not even sure you'd need the second raptor as my came in and just finished him off before his wish fired. Any decent pet should have been able to do that at that point. Two or three raptors is probably safer just in case something goes wrong and you don't manage to kill him off before the wish goes off.
vs Yu'la (dragon, who has no heal, but does have a lift-off evade/attack and low health), I used a classic explode team - enchanted lantern to cast sunlight, swap to a minfernal/netherspace abyssal and explode (make sure to use it in response to his lift-off!), then a darkmoon zepplin to explode. I am pretty sure I punched him once with the abyssal and missiled him once with the zepplin (and I think I decoyed with the zepplin, because I like to play it safe)
Gregarious Grell literally soloed him for me but there seem to be a few other good options. Feral Vermling should be pretty good and a Kun-Li Runt should be a good finisher.
vs Xu'fu (tiger, 3rd ability is a claw w/massive heal) I used the "classic" burst team - Val'Kyr (unholy ascension), Pandaren Water Spirit (Geyser, Whirlpool, dies before Water Jet casts), Chrominius (Howl, Surge of Power)
I used Tranquil yeti + Chicken + random mechanical pet. Open with Call of lightning. Swap in chicken and flock. For best results you want a bird that is still faster than Xu'fu with out the racial buff. When chicken dies bring back yeti and fist then Ion Cannon. Clean up with third pet if needed. Any Call of Lightning pet + chicken + Tonk/custodian should work. Call of lighting, swap pets, flock, when bird dies bring in tonk and Shock and Awe followed by Ion Cannon.
vs Chi-Chi I ran out of time before the server restart, I screwed up too many times to win in time. He always starts with his tranquility (heal over 2 turns) then an attack (his only attack is a 1-2 shot elemental, with +1 attack if he's faster, which he is) then his evade (100% chance to dodge for the turn it's cast on). He doesn't always cast Tranquility when it's available, but he always uses his dodge when it's available (so far as I've seen).
I used the "burst" team of valk, water ele, Chrominius for this one.

If you look at the teams I used 3 of the 4 rely on the same thing. The key is 100% dmg taken debuff is additive with the 50% less dmg taken buff so you end up at 50% more dmg taken. IE Ion cannon goes from 1000 to 500 because of the buff but goes up to 1500 after the debuff instead of back up to 1000. This is how the raptor team works, how the burst team works and how flock works. The exact pets aren't necessarily important in these strategies. It's all about getting around that damage reducing buff with a dmg increasing debuff.

For example the valk could be replaced by any undead with Curse of Doom now that you don't rez after the Unholy Ascension. You just need to make sure to use curse of doom on your rez turn so you die after you cast it or you screw up the timing. The Water spirit is the only option there but any pup/wolf/worg with howl should work in the place of Chrominius.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it it but these worked well for me.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554

Post by Kpb321 » September 11th, 2013, 11:47 am

Delinda wrote:I'm having big problems with Taran Zhu and his monks. Has anyone managed to beat him?
He wasn't one of the ones up on my server so I didn't get to try him but I remember Nether Ray Fry or Fledgling Nether Ray with Shadow Shock looking pretty good especially against Yen having a critter attack that would be strong against undead. The team also has a couple beast attacks that are weak against flying.

I also meant to post a link to the following which has all 9 tamers listed.
http://www.wowhead.com/news=219517/patch-5-4-battle-pet-guide-new-pets-changes-and-the-celestial-tournament

Ebil
Pet Score:11957
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Ebil » September 11th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Leesh42 wrote:So, wow, this is one tough tourney! Did all right for the trainers, using:

Pickle: Horned Lizard, Elder Python, Gilded Moth
Thank you!! I forgot about Elder Python being a beast type.

Fitzfarseer
Pet Score:5304
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Fitzfarseer » September 11th, 2013, 12:14 pm

For the celestial bird, i had succes with Unborn Valkyr with curse of doom, then haunt
Next pandaren water spirit with geyser, then whirlpool
Next Chrominius with howl and then surge of power.

Beat it with this team 2 times out of 3 tries, had to stop and restart a couple of times and still not finished :(
Ah well read lots of good tips here, next try tomorrow. Thank you all for the sharing!

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » September 11th, 2013, 1:30 pm

For Chi-Chi, the red crane, I ultimately got him with an Azure Whelpling (2,1,1) for Arcane Storm and the Ice Tomb, a Nether Faerie Dragon (2,2,2) to bring him down with Arcane Blast and Life Exchange, and Chrominius (1,1,2) for the Howl and Surge of Power. Pretty sure I got lucky, since the bird dodged Howl....

Cooljay
Pet Score:3051
Realm:Kazzak-eu

Post by Cooljay » September 11th, 2013, 1:54 pm

soloed chi-chi with nordrassil whisp u can add as first pet some debuff for more safety against rng