The unofficial and unspoken rules of pet trading

Arrange pet trades on US and Oceanic servers.
Denverrunner
MVP
Pet Score:6503
BattleTag®:denverrunner#1152
Realm:Arathor-us
The unofficial and unspoken rules of pet trading

Post by Denverrunner » April 23rd, 2013, 3:31 pm

Rakeling started a very informative thread about pet trading earlier today. I learned that most traders on here will work with the first person to respond to a thread and provide a 24 hour window to do so. After reading the responses, I started to wonder if there were other unofficial a rules that people use on here to help keep us friendly and fair.

Thanks!

Rakeling
Pet Score:13936
BattleTag®:rakeling#1648
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Re: The unofficial and unspoken rules of pet trading

Post by Rakeling » April 23rd, 2013, 4:20 pm

ooh, i got one!

before anyone changes servers to actually do a trade, have the trade 100% hashed out. if there's any possibility of having misunderstood who was trading what, or if the trade got modified during the conversation, do a final confirmation with the other party along the lines of...
"just to confirm, i'm giving you X, Y and Z, and you're giving me A and B, correct?"
not everyone keeps their pets in their journal, so trying to modify the trade last minute may require the other person to log out, server and/or toon hop, to go get other pets. if you're not happy with a trade, either renegotiate or decline - don't wait until after they've come to your realm to ask them to add more to their side of a trade.

Nymphis
Pet Score:10073
BattleTag®:Nymphye#1206
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Nymphis » April 23rd, 2013, 4:45 pm

Personally, I try to make the trade fair to all sides, at least to the best of my ability. I like to research prices on both people's AH before making an offer. And ALWAYS be polite about it - just because the Crawling Claw goes for 80k on Exodar doesn't mean that someone is willing to trade that much in value of pets for it (lol some low pop servers are just terribly overpriced). I try to find a good balance between them. Using other sources, such as TCG LOOT and Ebay are also very helpful. Now given that, people do tend to value things differently, but as long as both parties are happy with the trade, that's truly the best thing to strive for. I've enjoyed my time on these forums because of the ways that people try not to take advantage of others.

Have a wonderful day!
Nymphis :)

Threnody
Pet Score:3078
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Threnody » April 23rd, 2013, 5:49 pm

"No one owes you a deal."

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » April 23rd, 2013, 6:05 pm

YOu should feel comfortable with the trade. If not, walk away. It doesn't hurt to offer a counter. You won't always get a deal done, but you'll find most Ives people are willing to work something out. If you've had a good experience with someone, especially someone you know is collecting something in particular, many imes you can hash out a deal without even coming to these forums.

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. I've asked people on my trading list many things, and I think it builds your network. Word of mouth spreads well.

Mushalor
Top Rater

Post by Mushalor » April 23rd, 2013, 6:42 pm

Politeness and not sounding like you are entitled to everything goes a long way, too. Nothing makes me go elsewhere faster than feeling like the other trader thinks I'm dirt. :(

Also, you don't really owe anyone an explanation for deciding on declining a trade.

Livingdeath
Top Rater
Pet Score:3525
BattleTag®:Doctor#1657
Realm:Lightninghoof-us

Post by Livingdeath » April 24th, 2013, 1:46 am

I always follow through on a deal. If I made a deal to trade with someone and a moment later someone else makes a better offer, I always follow through on the original deal I agreed to. I've never found any offer to be worth backing out of a deal.

This rule has paid off because some of those people I've treated with respect are now good friends of mine who give me sweet deals when they get pets I need. It's the circle of Warcraftpets. :)

Pocketimp
Top Rater
Pet Score:5016
BattleTag®:Pocketimp#1179
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Pocketimp » April 24th, 2013, 7:13 pm

If your name does not match your Battletag in any shape or form, please list what it is. I have a few peeps whose name I did not recognize at all because of this.