Darkness

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Neckbèard
Pet Score:1193
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu
Darkness

Post by Neckbèard » October 22nd, 2017, 10:30 am

Don't know if this has been up before but...

I'm wondering if anyone knows how hits and misses are decided during Darkness.
It can't be completely random since if your opponent misses his/her hit you often miss yours right after, as to make it even.

I used my darkness team Dread Hatchling + Panda + Crow basically the entire way to the 1000 wins achievement (not the best team I know, but didn't have a selection). Anyway, missed Alpha Strike or Darkness every now and then, but not that it really mattered.

Then changed Crow to Twilight where I use the stun and now I'm missing to a point to where it's almost no point playing. Usually it's the stuns that miss, and since Panda is useless without his stun it's starting to get annoying. Today I missed 3 stuns in the same battle. Opponent missed 1 hit. Also, wasn't even the first time. A few times I have missed 3 hits after each other and then even more later in the battle. That doesn't go with the 90% hit chance.

Sorry for whining, but maybe someone has the same issue or could be kind and explain why this is happening?!

Rosqo
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Re: Darkness

Post by Rosqo » October 22nd, 2017, 1:12 pm

Unfortunately it sounds like a combination of bad rng and human nature.

The hits and misses are decided by a dice roll. If you tested a really large sample it would show 90% of the attacks miss regardless of any misses your opponents have.

Why is it human nature? We are programmed to put more weight on bad experiences over good ones. So we probably forgot all the times a miss has helped us and remember that one time it messes up our strategy.

Ultimately if you don’t want to roll the dice and chance missing run something other than Darkness.

Spinning
Top Rater
Pet Score:5763
Realm:Deathguard-eu

Post by Spinning » October 22nd, 2017, 5:38 pm

Biscuit wrote:Let me preface this with me saying no disrespect meant at all. This is a sincere question:
Why are you still in the PVP queue?
You’ve gotten your 1,000 wins achievement.
Or are you actually gonna try to get 4,000 more wins with a Darkness team?
If so, I take back my “no disrespect” comment.
Well, crow, panda, twilight is not that bad, I mean he is not farming wins with a crow, bs, terroclaw after all. It must be really boring playing with one team, but his team is fair.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13224
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » October 23rd, 2017, 4:48 am

I can barely play the same team three times in a row. My impulse, after every match, is to pick a pet and build a new team. However, I imagine there is some value in getting to know one team really thoroughly. The obvious downside, if you can do it without climbing the walls yourself, is that the queue adapts if you play a long session, with people bringing pets that counter you.

Neckbèard, I agree with Rosqo that we all remember the times RNG went against us much more than we notice the times it didn't. If you try the addon Pet Battle Log Keeper https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/277254-petbattlelogkeeper you can record every battle, and then count the rate of misses over a hundred battles, to get a truer feel for the actual rate.

Or you could just run a counter-Darkness team. :)

Neckbèard

Post by Neckbèard » October 23rd, 2017, 9:30 am

Thanks for the replies.

So, maybe you're right and I miss only 90% as a whole. Still, I think there should be some kind of balance so you can't miss let's say 5 times in a single battle or 3 stuns out of 3. Darkness it's fun, I like that it adds a bit of uncertainty to the game, but within certain limits.

Also, do you ppl even see a lot of Darkness teams? I sure don't, except for the 3x bone serpents that you mention. It seems not too many go all in for weather at all? Yeah, maybe some nexus whelping or similar, but that's it. Or am I wrong?

@Biscuit

I'm still in the queue because I'm aiming for the 5000 achievement. Even then you probably won't get rid of me because, let's face it, it's quite addictive. Also, yes I'm gonna do it with my Darkness team. Hopefully I'll be able to improve it until then though. Problem is I've only got about 200 pets atm and those are mostly the adder and squirrel you get as a low level.
Well, crow, panda, twilight is not that bad, I mean he is not farming wins with a crow, bs, terroclaw after all. It must be really boring playing with one team, but his team is fair.
Nope, it's never boring. Never even crossed my mind that it could be, haha. I'm quite emotionally attached to it tbh.
However, I imagine there is some value in getting to know one team really thoroughly.
Yeah, just like my opponents since it's usually the same people that turn up every day.
The obvious downside, if you can do it without climbing the walls yourself, is that the queue adapts if you play a long session, with people bringing pets that counter you.
Didn't know that. Also, thanks for the link. I'll check it out!!! :D

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » October 23rd, 2017, 10:30 am

Darkness teams are probably the most popular weather team in the current meta.

It’s so popular because it’s the strongest weather effect and it is provided by one of the strongest pets the Bone Serpent.

I don’t really think there needs to be a bad rng protection mechanic in pet battles.

Perhaps set up your team so you don’t miss under darkness. An example would be elementals, always hit abilities or abilities that aren’t effected by hit reductions properly.

Neckbèard

Post by Neckbèard » October 23rd, 2017, 11:14 am

@Rosqo

Yeah, I have noticed the bone serpents... Don't see many other Darkness teams though?!
Can't see the point of using the same pet with the same abilities over and over. It's boring to battle against and must be even more boring to play.

Thanks for your advices, Rosqo, the thing is though if I were to set up a Darkness team with always hit abilities, then it would be pets with nocturnal strike (right?) and most likely another bone serpent team, haha. Not really up for that. I see there are a few elementals that uses Darkness as well... so yeah, maybe trying to obtain one of them could be an option.

Rosqo

Post by Rosqo » October 23rd, 2017, 11:40 am

Spectral Strike always hits if the target is blinded too, widget the departed is a good example and you can get it whilst the Halloween event is up.

Other good Darkness pets are s/s frostfur rat or s/s nightshade sproutling

Totally up you what you use but it’s good to try and combo abilities that will all work together

Spinning
Top Rater
Pet Score:5763
Realm:Deathguard-eu

Post by Spinning » October 23rd, 2017, 12:40 pm

Rosqo wrote:Spectral Strike always hits if the target is blinded too, widget the departed is a good example and you can get it whilst the Halloween event is up.

Other good Darkness pets are s/s frostfur rat or s/s nightshade sproutling

Totally up you what you use but it’s good to try and combo abilities that will all work together
Light and sneak attack benefit from the darkness too

Lekssyb
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Lekssyb » November 30th, 2017, 3:27 am

I think our imagination are the same, i love this.
Its all good! :lol: :P