My Pet Collection
You've collected 0 pets
Log in to track your collection

Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too lol)

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
User avatar
Zerado
 
Posts: 2
Joined: July 7th, 2017
Pet Score: 1609
Realm: Azralon-US

Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too lol)

Postby Zerado » July 8th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Sup guys, this is my first post here - sorry if I made any mistake - and as the title enlightens I'm seeking for some detrimental tips, pets to collect, pets to NOT sell(PvE too on this one) and strategies I should use against most teams.

User avatar
Gráinne
 
Posts: 596
Joined: July 7th, 2015
Pet Score: 5250
Realm: Magtheridon-EU

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Gráinne » July 8th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Welcome to battling!

Standard advice

Breeds are important! You may not understand them yet, but follow advice about which breeds to use.

Get addons:
Rematch
Battle Pet Breed ID
Pet Tracker
for PvP, I recommend Derangement's Pet Battle Cooldowns as well

For PvE, bookmark https://wow-petguide.com

Here's a recent thread about PvE pets you want in a starting roster
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16391

For PvP pets, add at least
Bone Serpent (I prefer H/H breed, but S/S and P/S have their uses as well. P/S is maybe easiest to use)
Teroclaw Hatchling
Fiendish Imp (S/S breed)
More here: http://pvppetbattles.com/legion-tier-list/

There are 4 YouTube channels devoted to PvP pet battling
Discodoggy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtnv7B ... iCIX-wK0jg
Gomirath https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDBxYi ... Id2MffD-Kg
Llennoca https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVWEX ... TI8y4_VzUg
Rosqo https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC1ZB ... fvxd4BJrlA

I would start with Disco's "Very Best" videos to give you a sense
http://pvppetbattles.com/daily-battle/october-24-2016/
http://pvppetbattles.com/daily-battle/october-25-2016/
but all of those channels have videos worth watching.

User avatar
Drudatz
Top Rater
 
Posts: 360
Joined: June 13th, 2011
Pet Score: 5406
Realm: Kul Tiras-EU

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Drudatz » July 9th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Welcome to this community.

Pets that you should have are Anubis Idol, Death Adder Hatchling, Magical Crawdad,
Jademist Dancer, a (fast) Rabbit, Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, a Frog, a Moth,
and a Ghastly Kid for starters.


Don't get to hung up on these and invest to many times on videos.
#1 Pvp is playing, playin and playin. Experience teaches you more then videos ever can.
#2 Every Pet can be beaten!
#3 Pet PVP can be frustrating.

User avatar
Gráinne
 
Posts: 596
Joined: July 7th, 2015
Pet Score: 5250
Realm: Magtheridon-EU

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Gráinne » July 9th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Drudatz wrote:Pets that you should have are Anubis Idol, Death Adder Hatchling, Magical Crawdad,
Jademist Dancer, a (fast) Rabbit, Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, a Frog, a Moth,
and a Ghastly Kid for starters.

Well, if you're going to be that specific, I should add that the

- Death Adder Hatchling is exactly the same as a Rose Taipan, and the Rose Taipan will be much easier/cheaper to get. And you will not consider any DAH or Rose Taipan that isn't S/S breed (341 speed at level 25 Blue)

- Jademist Dancer also needs to be S/S breed (317 speed as a 25 Blue). DO NOT waste time on any other breed

- Your first frogs for PvP should probably be an S/S Leopard Tree Frog and a P/P Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog, though there are several simple frogs and frog variants like the Swamp Croaker (with Bubble) that are useful

- Moths. Shrug. P/P Yellow, H/P Gilded, H/H Imperial, S/S Silky. Get them all :) Oh, and throw in a P/S Flamering; nobody ever expects a moth to heal.

Drudatz wrote:Don't get to hung up on these and invest to many times on videos.
#1 Pvp is playing, playin and playin. Experience teaches you more then videos ever can.

It does, but some time invested at the start learning the tricks and head-games prevents people going in with the PvE teams they're used to and not understanding even what happened, and how they just got trampled. :)

User avatar
Rosqo
 
Posts: 79
Joined: April 26th, 2017
Pet Score: 4721
Realm: Silvermoon-EU

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Rosqo » July 9th, 2017, 4:35 pm

Hi and welcome,

I'd suggest building a solid group of about 4-5 teams to start off with so you can familiarise yourself with how the matches work and how opponents will play. You will loose a fair bit at first as usually you will be playing more experienced battlers but just stick at it and learn from each match.

I made a beginners series that you might find more valuable than just videos of battling that I will post below. You can probably just skip to the last two videos if you don't have much time as they will at least give you some team ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _bzWQUs-iX

Everyone here's is pretty helpful so feel free to ask if you have any difficulties.

All the best in the queue Rosqo

User avatar
Flow
 
Posts: 47
Joined: February 22nd, 2016
Pet Score: 0
Realm: Magtheridon-EU

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Flow » July 9th, 2017, 7:04 pm

It's best to get started during pet week if you can, it has more pet varity and casual players. Outside the week it's mostly experienced people doing it.

The most poplar pets are undeads and humanoids, followed by dragons and mechs, then flying and elementals, I would say. You will have to counter these, or join them by using the same pets they do.

Then you should think about what utility you want. Able to change the weather? Dodge? Damage reduction such as shield? It's usually not a good idea to use 3 of the same pet (though there are some pets that work that way), or of the same family, you want some variety and synergy. You also don't want your strategy to depend on a single thing that can be avoided.

You will lose some at first, but as you play you will discover things which works and you will build a strategy around it.

Don't be too concerned about having the 'right' pets, it helps yes, but it's better to get experience and add pets as you go.

_

User avatar
Zerado
 
Posts: 2
Joined: July 7th, 2017
Pet Score: 1609
Realm: Azralon-US

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Zerado » July 17th, 2017, 8:48 am

Sorry for the delay:

Thanks a lot to all of you for all your tips and help.

Btw I'm finding trouble to find some pet with good Critter nuke for general use, any tips on this one?

User avatar
Drudatz
Top Rater
 
Posts: 360
Joined: June 13th, 2011
Pet Score: 5406
Realm: Kul Tiras-EU

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Drudatz » July 17th, 2017, 10:23 am

Gráinne wrote:It does, but some time invested at the start learning the tricks and head-games prevents people going in with the PvE teams they're used to and not understanding even what happened, and how they just got trampled. :)

And videos dont help in that case at ALL. Especially not videos of people like Rosquo (nothing personal Rosquo)
In the time you watch a video you could have played some games instead.
Active experience is always better then watching videos.

Zerado wrote:Btw I'm finding trouble to find some pet with good Critter nuke for general use, any tips on this one?

good is subjective but how about a blind Rat?

User avatar
Biscuit
Top Rater
 
Posts: 233
Joined: March 9th, 2015
Pet Score: 5293
Realm: Jaedenar-US

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Biscuit » July 17th, 2017, 10:32 am

Zerado wrote:Sorry for the delay:

Thanks a lot to all of you for all your tips and help.

Btw I'm finding trouble to find some pet with good Critter nuke for general use, any tips on this one?



Critter nukes are pretty rare and hard to come by.
I imagine it's by design as critters are generally small creatures and the thought of them doing 1k+ damage seems silly? I don't know haha.
Anyway, I can only think of two off the top of my head:

Mud Jumper/Benax
These guys can use Mudslide which really puts a hurting on undeads.
Being aquatic and having bubble is just an added bonus.

Zoom
IIRC Slow & Steady is the hardest hitting critter ability in the game.
Warning: Zoom is slow. Slower than Rag, slower than a Spirit Crab.

Honorable mention goes to Red Cricket
Its Skitter ability is the strongest spammable critter attack.

User avatar
Rosqo
 
Posts: 79
Joined: April 26th, 2017
Pet Score: 4721
Realm: Silvermoon-EU

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Rosqo » July 17th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Drudatz wrote:And videos dont help in that case at ALL. Especially not videos of people like Rosquo (nothing personal Rosquo)


They'll get better when you've finished the Beginner Series Drud ;)

User avatar
Quintessence
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2282
Joined: June 4th, 2008
Pet Score: 5591
Realm: Proudmoore-US

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Quintessence » July 17th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Drudatz, please keep in mind that people prefer different methods of explanation/teaching.

Some may learn more from watching others PVP Pet Battle, while others might need hands-on experience or a written guide.

It's ok to not prefer someone's Pet Battle video, however someone else might like it. Let's not take away from that, and keep the discussion friendly.
Image
Feel free to browse through Perks N Peeves, my vanity pet collecting blog!

User avatar
Drlambda
 
Posts: 48
Joined: May 8th, 2016
Pet Score: 4975
Realm: Arthas-EU

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Drlambda » July 18th, 2017, 5:09 am

Back when i got into pet battles, i actually learned a lot from videos and thinking about why the creator was making one or another decision, even if the streamer didn't explain it. Even today, i'm pretty sure that i learn something new from a video every few days.

Yes, playing a lot obviously helps a lot, but it won't necessarily prepare you for unintuitive interactions or bugs in abilities (of which there are A LOT) which you will probably learn way faster by watching experienced players.

One thing i really want to emphasize: Always keep racials in mind, and not only the obvious ones. In the early days, and even sometimes these days, i make a lot of misplays purely based on forgetting the racial of a pet. Trying to stun critters, nuking magical pets, trying to abuse weather effects against Elementals and whatnot.
CloseToZero - Watch me lose on youtube with bad pets! :D

User avatar
Digem
MVP
 
Posts: 455
Joined: August 1st, 2013
Pet Score: 5603
Realm: Fizzcrank-US

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Digem » July 18th, 2017, 10:59 am

Drlambda wrote:Back when i got into pet battles, i actually learned a lot from videos and thinking about why the creator was making one or another decision, even if the streamer didn't explain it. Even today, i'm pretty sure that i learn something new from a video every few days.

Yes, playing a lot obviously helps a lot, but it won't necessarily prepare you for unintuitive interactions or bugs in abilities (of which there are A LOT) which you will probably learn way faster by watching experienced players.

One thing i really want to emphasize: Always keep racials in mind, and not only the obvious ones. In the early days, and even sometimes these days, i make a lot of misplays purely based on forgetting the racial of a pet. Trying to stun critters, nuking magical pets, trying to abuse weather effects against Elementals and whatnot.



Videos helped me immensely when I started pet battling. Yes, actually pet battling was the biggest help in the end but videos helped me understand it better and raised my curiosity to try it and to try different pet combinations. Yes even to this day it is easy to screw up pet racials like trying to stun critters. Damn it why do I forget that or what I do more often forget the effects of some of the weather effects. Like trying to stun in arcane winds.

User avatar
Abbotta
MVP
 
Posts: 234
Joined: November 18th, 2014
Pet Score: 4740
BattleTag®: LynneSin#1318
Realm: Area 52-US

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Abbotta » July 19th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Zerado wrote:Sup guys, this is my first post here - sorry if I made any mistake - and as the title enlightens I'm seeking for some detrimental tips, pets to collect, pets to NOT sell(PvE too on this one) and strategies I should use against most teams.


My go-to pet leveling/collecting combo (wild pets only) are the Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling and Nexus Whelpling. I open with the MPD (abilities set at 1-2-2), drop a decoy and then bring in my level pet. After the level pet comes in, I swap out for the Nexus Whelpling (prefer my P/P breed and abilities set at 1-2-2) and use Arcane Storm and Mana Surge to clean up everything quickly.

Also on the https://www.wow-petguide.com/ - Always know when Squirt day is (Deebs, Tyri and Puzzle). It's the only Garrison Pet Battle that can be played over and over again for high amount of experience. In the US, Yesterday was Squirt day and I leveled about 20 pets to level 25. The previous squirt day was on the weekend and I was sick - I leveled over 100 pets to level 25. Make sure you have plenty of pet biscuits and sausages, which can be stacked for more experience.

Someone else gave a list of must have pets - I'd also include the Teroclaw Hatchling, Ikky, Zandalari Anklerender and Emerald Proto-Whelp. I found these 4 pets came into big use for most of the Legion World Quests and Tanaan Jungle Masters.

Good luck!

EDIT NOTE: Do NOT ever feel like you need to spend hard cash on any of the Store Battle Pets or the rare-hard to find Battle Pets. Outside of having them in your collection - they are not really needed for any of the Pet Tamers (although I have read that Blossoming Ancient store bought pet is one of the better PvP pets). I mean we'd all love to have a Mini Tyrael but the concept that it would cost a mortgage payment to buy pretty much means I'll never have one and I'm ok with that.

User avatar
Drlambda
 
Posts: 48
Joined: May 8th, 2016
Pet Score: 4975
Realm: Arthas-EU

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Drlambda » July 20th, 2017, 7:44 am

I mostly agree with everything Abbotta said and want to add: Once your collection gets large enough to level up pets, i'd consider spending a bit of gold on Anubisath Idol - combined with the mentioned Emerald Proto-Whelp and Teroclaw Hatchling, no pet appears more often in the pet battle guides. It actually can solo multiple Pandaren trainers while helping you level up other pets. Even if for some reason you can't afford to buy one, you can probably solo AQ40 easily and it should take only a few weeks to drop.
CloseToZero - Watch me lose on youtube with bad pets! :D

User avatar
Digem
MVP
 
Posts: 455
Joined: August 1st, 2013
Pet Score: 5603
Realm: Fizzcrank-US

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Digem » July 20th, 2017, 10:12 am

Abbotta wrote:
Zerado wrote:Sup guys, this is my first post here - sorry if I made any mistake - and as the title enlightens I'm seeking for some detrimental tips, pets to collect, pets to NOT sell(PvE too on this one) and strategies I should use against most teams.


My go-to pet leveling/collecting combo (wild pets only) are the Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling and Nexus Whelpling. I open with the MPD (abilities set at 1-2-2), drop a decoy and then bring in my level pet. After the level pet comes in, I swap out for the Nexus Whelpling (prefer my P/P breed and abilities set at 1-2-2) and use Arcane Storm and Mana Surge to clean up everything quickly.

Also on the https://www.wow-petguide.com/ - Always know when Squirt day is (Deebs, Tyri and Puzzle). It's the only Garrison Pet Battle that can be played over and over again for high amount of experience. In the US, Yesterday was Squirt day and I leveled about 20 pets to level 25. The previous squirt day was on the weekend and I was sick - I leveled over 100 pets to level 25. Make sure you have plenty of pet biscuits and sausages, which can be stacked for more experience.

Someone else gave a list of must have pets - I'd also include the Teroclaw Hatchling, Ikky, Zandalari Anklerender and Emerald Proto-Whelp. I found these 4 pets came into big use for most of the Legion World Quests and Tanaan Jungle Masters.

Good luck!

EDIT NOTE: Do NOT ever feel like you need to spend hard cash on any of the Store Battle Pets or the rare-hard to find Battle Pets. Outside of having them in your collection - they are not really needed for any of the Pet Tamers (although I have read that Blossoming Ancient store bought pet is one of the better PvP pets). I mean we'd all love to have a Mini Tyrael but the concept that it would cost a mortgage payment to buy pretty much means I'll never have one and I'm ok with that.


Yes the blossoming ancient is a very good pet but one can get a pet with the same move base free from the Druid class hall in broot.
So never a need to buy a pet unless a collector

User avatar
Abbotta
MVP
 
Posts: 234
Joined: November 18th, 2014
Pet Score: 4740
BattleTag®: LynneSin#1318
Realm: Area 52-US

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Abbotta » July 26th, 2017, 3:51 pm

Digem wrote:
Abbotta wrote:
Zerado wrote:Sup guys, this is my first post here - sorry if I made any mistake - and as the title enlightens I'm seeking for some detrimental tips, pets to collect, pets to NOT sell(PvE too on this one) and strategies I should use against most teams.


My go-to pet leveling/collecting combo (wild pets only) are the Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling and Nexus Whelpling. I open with the MPD (abilities set at 1-2-2), drop a decoy and then bring in my level pet. After the level pet comes in, I swap out for the Nexus Whelpling (prefer my P/P breed and abilities set at 1-2-2) and use Arcane Storm and Mana Surge to clean up everything quickly.

Also on the https://www.wow-petguide.com/ - Always know when Squirt day is (Deebs, Tyri and Puzzle). It's the only Garrison Pet Battle that can be played over and over again for high amount of experience. In the US, Yesterday was Squirt day and I leveled about 20 pets to level 25. The previous squirt day was on the weekend and I was sick - I leveled over 100 pets to level 25. Make sure you have plenty of pet biscuits and sausages, which can be stacked for more experience.

Someone else gave a list of must have pets - I'd also include the Teroclaw Hatchling, Ikky, Zandalari Anklerender and Emerald Proto-Whelp. I found these 4 pets came into big use for most of the Legion World Quests and Tanaan Jungle Masters.

Good luck!

EDIT NOTE: Do NOT ever feel like you need to spend hard cash on any of the Store Battle Pets or the rare-hard to find Battle Pets. Outside of having them in your collection - they are not really needed for any of the Pet Tamers (although I have read that Blossoming Ancient store bought pet is one of the better PvP pets). I mean we'd all love to have a Mini Tyrael but the concept that it would cost a mortgage payment to buy pretty much means I'll never have one and I'm ok with that.


Yes the blossoming ancient is a very good pet but one can get a pet with the same move base free from the Druid class hall in broot.
So never a need to buy a pet unless a collector


Except the amount of time I play I probably will never get any of those class hall pets unless they make ones for the Hunter or Priest (my only level 100+ toons).

Are the Class Hall pets sellable?

User avatar
Quintessence
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2282
Joined: June 4th, 2008
Pet Score: 5591
Realm: Proudmoore-US

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Quintessence » July 26th, 2017, 6:42 pm

Abbotta wrote:Are the Class Hall pets sellable?


All class pets are currently BoP and not cageable. If you want to collect Broot, you'll need to level a Druid. Summary of all the class pets and how to earn them can be found here: Collecting Class Pets In Legion.
Image
Feel free to browse through Perks N Peeves, my vanity pet collecting blog!

User avatar
Gráinne
 
Posts: 596
Joined: July 7th, 2015
Pet Score: 5250
Realm: Magtheridon-EU

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Gráinne » July 26th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Abbotta wrote:Are the Class Hall pets sellable?

No. But trust me when I say you do not want Broot for battling. Like the Blossoming Ancient, he is used almost exclusively in Sunny Day teams, and they are a blight on the landscape that are no fun to play, and less fun to play against.

There are maybe 30-50 really core pets, and maybe another 50 that are really useful to have sometimes. Broot or the BA fall maybe into that latter 50, maybe outside it. Concentrate on developing your core roster; there's plenty to do there. Worry about the exceptions much later. :)

User avatar
Digem
MVP
 
Posts: 455
Joined: August 1st, 2013
Pet Score: 5603
Realm: Fizzcrank-US

Re: Newcomer to the PvP Pet Battle World(and in general too

Postby Digem » July 27th, 2017, 10:24 am

Gráinne wrote:
Abbotta wrote:Are the Class Hall pets sellable?

No. But trust me when I say you do not want Broot for battling. Like the Blossoming Ancient, he is used almost exclusively in Sunny Day teams, and they are a blight on the landscape that are no fun to play, and less fun to play against.

There are maybe 30-50 really core pets, and maybe another 50 that are really useful to have sometimes. Broot or the BA fall maybe into that latter 50, maybe outside it. Concentrate on developing your core roster; there's plenty to do there. Worry about the exceptions much later. :)



While I agree and dislike healing teams they are pretty easy to use and do win at a good clip in pet pvp. Also pets like broot can solo a decent amount of pve pet tamers. It is a slow and boring win but it does get the job done nonetheless

Next

Return to Pet Battles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Q8e192 and 1 guest