Cavern Moccasin and Young Venomfang breeds

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu
Cavern Moccasin and Young Venomfang breeds

Post by Paladance » April 23rd, 2017, 7:34 am

A stacking RNG in action: not only for obtaining the pet, but also for the pet's breed… we love it, don't we? ;)
At the beginning I wasn't even aware about multiple breeds of these!

[pet]Cavern Moccasin[/pet]: S/S, H/S, P/S, S/B. As this is a pet that heavily relies on reducing the opponent's speed, giving it a speed-based pool of breeds seems a bit mean. A default recommendation is P/S, but with big cooldowns and cumulative damage +146 health of H/S isn't the worst bonus either.
[pet]Young Venomfang[/pet]: H/P, P/S, P/B. There I have a bit of problem, because I just don't like to deal with breeds on flyers. H/P is too slow after climax, P/S is too fragile, P/B is too lossy.

What do you think?

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Re: Cavern Moccasin and Young Venomfang breeds

Post by Peanutty » April 23rd, 2017, 1:47 pm

First thing I did when I got a pet drop from the bag was look at breeds LOL. And I ended up selling the pets I initially got because of it. :P

I'm aiming for HP Young Venomfang - with flyers, I tend to go with the health then power, I just don't find speed to be as desirable since you don't benefit as much from it half the fight.

Cavern Moccasin I couldn't decide between P/S and H/S (I had a preference for the former, but I let RNG decide which I'd end up keeping, and ended up with P/S). I agree about speed not being as desired on this pet because of its speed reduction abilities, and power is my default setting with beasts, but the health variant isn't bad either since its got a good chunk of extra health.

Cluey
Pet Score:11369
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Cluey » May 3rd, 2017, 11:10 pm

I really dislike the stacked randomness from so many things this expansion.

For these pets I can't say I've even looked at their move sets, like so many others I've collected.
I collect them, level them and then forget about them. :-(

When I come up against something tricky, unfortunately quite uncommon, I'll use the filters in Rematch to find a counter. If the counter I find happens to be a new pet, Yay!

I haven't got into the PvP ones, way too much repetitive teams which aren't much fun to fight against.
Is that why you worry about the breeds?

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » May 4th, 2017, 6:37 am

I agree with Peanutty about the H/P [pet]Young Venomfang[/pet].

I bought a H/S [pet]Cavern Moccasin[/pet] with the proceeds from selling another Venomfang that dropped for me. I think I'd choose H/S over P/S at the same speed, but I haven't mathed it out. The S/B is not interesting. The S/S maybe if you were using Burrow, but if you use Burrow, why would you choose that pet at all?

Cluey, worrying about the breeds is mostly a matter of pride, or craftsmanship, or obsession, depending on how you look at it. :) It's unlikely that the Venomfang or the Moccasin will ever be competitive in PvP, or key to a PvE strat. It's just - "if I ever did use it, what breed would I want in my toolbox?"

Vakeetah
Top Rater
Pet Score:9677
Realm:Dragonblight-eu

Post by Vakeetah » May 4th, 2017, 3:29 pm

:arrow: [pet]Young Venomfang[/pet], in a way, reminds me of [pet]Nether Ray Fry[/pet], as in, having a wide variety of damage types -notably including the fairly rare Undead type- but nothing really remarkable besides that - fragile, and without any "big" moves.

Its only truly "unique" move is [ability]Toxic Skin[/ability], and if I were to choose that one, I'd probably aim for H/P breed. Speed is great to make this move proactive rather than reactive, but considering you'll likely have speed advantage at the start of the match (due to Flying bonus) it makes sense to aim for a bit more endurance. Still, not a huge advantage or disadvantage over P/S, which is also a good all-rounder, so the only consensus is that P/B is the worst.

:arrow: As for [pet]Cavern Moccasin[/pet]... Considering the trademark of this pet is [ability]Squeeze[/ability], being forced into Speed breed is overkill. Considering you sacrifice [ability]Burrow[/ability] in the process, and that you could even fall back to [ability]Hiss[/ability], makes Speed all the more pointless. Why can't there be a H/H or H/P breed for it? :P

So in terms of breed, S/S is very standard for snakes in general, and for this one in particular, a single [ability]Squeeze[/ability] is enough to gain Speed advantage over even fliers with any breed; so S/S is out and S/B is an instant discard. That leaves H/S and P/S. I'd lean towards P/S, solely because it'd beat the H/S if they were to "duel", as the massive frontloaded damage totally removes the Health advantage, but like with [pet]Young Venomfang[/pet], the difference is so minimal that you can stick with whatever.
- Thanks to Paladance for the sig!

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 4th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Cluey wrote:I haven't got into the PvP ones, way too much repetitive teams which aren't much fun to fight against.
Is that why you worry about the breeds?
I agree with Grainne, these aren't pets you'll see in PvP nor most PvE strats. There's nothing extraordinary about them. Hardcore breed fiends 8-) just like to add an extra layer of obsessive difficulty by nitpicking breed, even on pets that they'll never really use.