Has anyone had luck farming Ore Eater?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Beastlyserenity
Pet Score:3133
Realm:Draenor-us
Has anyone had luck farming Ore Eater?

Post by Beastlyserenity » December 16th, 2014, 5:04 am

Has anyone with mining had luck farming ore eater? I check my lvl 3 mines everyday and haven't had any drop.
I also haven't seen any in my auction house. When compared to nightshade sproutling which drops from herbalism, I have seen a decent amount of those for sale.

So is this pet that much more rare than its herbalism counterpart or can it be farmed?

Saikred
Top Rater
Pet Score:2978
Realm:Moonglade-eu

Re: Has anyone had luck farming Ore Eater?

Post by Saikred » December 16th, 2014, 5:14 am

Beastlyserenity wrote:Has anyone with mining had luck farming ore eater? I check my lvl 3 mines everyday and haven't had any drop.
I also haven't seen any in my auction house. When compared to nightshade sproutling which drops from herbalism, I have seen a decent amount of those for sale.

So is this pet that much more rare than its herbalism counterpart or can it be farmed?
Not being a miner or a herbalist, but having a level 2 mine and a level 2 herb garden, my experience is that the mob spawns FAR more often in the herb garden.
I've mined / herbed those nodes every day for around 3 weeks, and have between 1 and 2 sproutlings spawn and attack me a day (no drop yet), yet I've only ever seen around 3 spawn and attack me in the mines.

I'd be inclined from this to believe it's rarer than its sproutling counterpart, but this is just my observation and could be down to RNG.
Collection: http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/Saikred/
Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/moonglade/Junara/simple

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » December 16th, 2014, 10:15 am

ive bought one on the AH for 1.5k.
im an herbalist and i had enough seeds to by 2 carrots already, yet i didnt get a sproutling pet yet. so not being a miner and hoping to get the pet is a longshot (since its much less common than the sproutling)

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » December 16th, 2014, 11:39 am

I have 3 toons with a mine. 1 is a lvl3 mine, the other 2 are lvl1 mines. I mine all 3 every day and I usually see a single Goren spawn each day between all 3. The pet has yet to drop for me though.

Same on the Sproutling, but I only have a single herb garden. I see 1 Sproutling spawn a day, and no pet drop yet. I still haven't gathered enough seeds for my Carrot either.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Majorchit
Top Rater
Pet Score:4843
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Majorchit » December 16th, 2014, 1:00 pm

It's all going to come down to rng. I have 3 mines(1 of each level) and 2 gardens. I have gone weeks without a single goren attacking me. Last night, on one character, I have 9 podlings attack and 5 goren attack, none of which had either pet.

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » December 16th, 2014, 6:04 pm

I just bought mine. I rarely see goren spawns and considering the drop rate, I will probably stop emptying the mine before the probablity of seeing one reaches even 10%. I also bought a Nightshade Sproutling. They weren't overly expensive so I'll rather get them now to get them off the checklist. Also some boe pets having 23959 breeds makes it difficult to not buy them and then try to sell whatever crap breed you roll once you get them.

Xolve
Top Rater
Pet Score:12282
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Xolve » December 16th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Majorchit wrote:It's all going to come down to rng. I have 3 mines(1 of each level) and 2 gardens. I have gone weeks without a single goren attacking me. Last night, on one character, I have 9 podlings attack and 5 goren attack, none of which had either pet.
Wow- didn't realize how lucky I was to grab an Ore Eater on the 4th day of the expansion (I'm not a minter) from a spawn in a level 2 mine.

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » December 16th, 2014, 9:56 pm

My main is a miner and has a lvl 3 mine, i have 6 alts with lvl 2 mines, only my main has a herb garden lvl 2 atm. I have killed several hundred goren without a drop. Goren definitely spawns more often in the mine than when mining around draenor, or so far has for me(cursed RNG), wowhead says the drop chance is .11 of a percent chance so that means 1 in 900 kills roughly, guess i will need to kill several hundred more before the rng gods smile upon me.

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12239
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » December 17th, 2014, 8:28 am

I'm amazed you only Mine in your Mine in your Garrison. Blown away, in fact.

There are nodes in the world you know.

I'm a Miner and Herbalist on my Hunter -- I am a "farmer" for my progression guild. I get paid in carries ^_^

In any event, what this means is that I have picked more herbs and mined more nodes than most people in this expac so far. I have bought 6 *spare* Crazy Carrots to sell on the AH. Six. That is farming 6,000 extra draenic seeds (the first 1k went to my own Carrot). I'm sure there is some Russian/Korean who has farmed more but that. is. a lot. of. seeds.

You can imagine how many Disturbed Podlings I've killed. Hundreds, at the very least. I have not seen a single Nightshade Sproutling drop.

I have farmed hundreds of stacks of (200) Ore. I've seen just as many Goren Protectors spawn. I have never looted an Red Goren Egg.

I bought both off the AH weeks and weeks ago, for almost nothing, I think 3k for both.

But it is *INSANE* how actually rare they are.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » December 17th, 2014, 2:42 pm

I don't have time to mine with my miner (who's one of my 100's) because I'm too busy with either working on my main (who's an engineer/JC) or the rest of the horde of horde I have (4 100's, a 96, 2 94's, and a 92) with garrisons. Then you add in the time to capture 6 elites for blood every day on the DK, and trying to get 1 of the 100's to advance their garrison quest chain and/or do their apexis daily (in addition to my main), and... and... and...

While I don't yet have my carrot (I am insisting on getting it on my main from my herb garden), I am glad to see that it's such a low drop rate I wouldn't have gotten it anyway (my herbalists are only 94 and 92). I'll get them eventually, not going to stress over them at this point. Not looking forward to the nightmare fishing up another couple thousand fish will be, either. I had that back when I was trying to get my turtle in Northrend.

Terrorpene15
Pet Score:3398
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Terrorpene15 » December 18th, 2014, 5:17 am

yeah I know rng is rng, and I have never had the best of luck on my main, but I am absolutely getting killed with this as well. couple thousand seeds in, no nightshade, wish I had just bought one as now my server hasn't had one up for days. the Ore Eater is even more frustrating as I have maybe killed 20 Goren, whereas I was getting a mob off every 4-5 picks, yet was not getting a nightshade.

in fact, I have done more cooking than anyone I know, and no luck there either. the profession pets are kicking my butt. should have saved more bush chickens to trade for all these darn pets, if only I knew how rare they were.

Enigmaticclarity
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Enigmaticclarity » December 18th, 2014, 1:00 pm

This is a limited view of the potential data, but on the four realms I have toons on, all four have multiple Nightshade Sproutlings up on the AH all for under 5K to 10K (just bought one for 2K), but two of those realms have no Ore Eaters up, and the two that do have them up are all at 15K and up. Not enough data to draw much conclusion from that, though. Could be that the mob spawn rate and drop rates are equivalent, but people just pick herbs in their garrisons more because it's faster and herbs are in higher demand, so therefore more Sproutlings are dropping for people.

GrosBonda
Pet Score:10429
BattleTag®:Grosbonda#1406
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by GrosBonda » December 18th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Look at this
[url=https://theunderminejournal.com/#illidan/battlepet/1495]Ore Eater[/url]
US Quantity 115
US Median Price 10000.00
US Mean Price 12989.99
and
[url=https://theunderminejournal.com/#illidan/battlepet/1432]Nightshade Sproutling[/url]
US Quantity 101
US Median Price 5000.00
US Mean Price 6497.13
Seem to be equal in number for me...
i will not comment the price difference :0

Enigmaticclarity
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Enigmaticclarity » December 18th, 2014, 3:39 pm

The drop rates being equal would certainly make the most sense if you're Blizzard. If they made the drop rate or the bonus mob spawn rate higher for one higher than the other, then it would be showing favoritism for one gathering profession over the other. Any difference in the available number for sale you'd have to think is more due to the popularity of one profession over the other.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » December 18th, 2014, 3:43 pm

I saw that this pet came from mining nodes and just assumed it would be like the Elementium Geode and quickly become worthless, I guess I just didn't realise how rare it is until I read this thread. Then I logged in and checked the AH on my pet-buying alt, and there was a single Ore Eater on there for 6k, so I grabbed it. To put this into perspective with other rare pets, there were 4x Lil' Leftovers listed at the time, 3x Hatesparks, but only the single Ore Eater.

I also bought the Nightshade Sproutling because it was only 1200g. If one does happen to drop from my herb garden I can just get my money back. :)

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » December 18th, 2014, 3:49 pm

Also, re. drop rates, it may be that a lot of these are being mined/picked in peoples' garrisons. The herb garden is nicely compact and takes only a minute or two to harvest each day, whereas the ore is spread out all through the mine and takes considerably longer to farm.

We're only a month into the expansion, but perhaps we could hypothesize that a large number of people have stopped doing their tradeskill dailies because they have their 3 equippable pieces now, and perhaps aren't totally motivated to do the daily stuff in their garrison any more. If this is so, I guess they'd be less likely to skip the daily herb garden clear than the mine run because of the aforementioned difference in effort required. :)

Baldulf
MVP
Pet Score:6727
Realm:Suramar-us

Post by Baldulf » December 18th, 2014, 9:42 pm

After reading this thread on the train, I hopped on the remote auction house and bought a sproutling for 2400g. No ore eaters on either of my servers, though.