Addon Rematch

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu
Re: Addon Rematch

Post by Iibis » November 7th, 2014, 2:19 am

Gello wrote:I'll get that and the notes-not-losing-when-resaving-team thing up tonight or tomorrow morning.
Great, thanks!

Iibis

Post by Iibis » December 2nd, 2014, 5:50 am

About re-saving a team with notes. I noticed that notes disappear if I rename a team, can this be fixed also so that the note sticks with the renamed team?

Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Gello » December 2nd, 2014, 5:16 pm

Iibis wrote:About re-saving a team with notes. I noticed that notes disappear if I rename a team, can this be fixed also so that the note sticks with the renamed team?
Yeah that can be fixed in the next update.

I've been spending all my spare time playing WoD and holiday stuff and now really getting slammed with work, but I'll try to have something this weekend.

Thanks for bringing it up!

btw, I've been contemplating a major change in philosophy for Rematch due to people running the pet journal concurrently with Rematch. What are thoughts on doing what PJE does to the default journal? That is, scrape out all the default stuff and put Rematch elements in their place. This means PJE would no longer function alongside Rematch. Addons that alter the journal list would no longer function with Rematch. Necessarily, advanced sorting options would need to be in place first.

There's something critically failing everytime someone opens the default journal to set leveling pets or drag pets into Rematch. Is there some ease of use issue that can be improved?

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » December 2nd, 2014, 5:33 pm

I can't speak for everyone but for me there are a couple things.

1) Not as many filtering options in Rematch. In particular I use a filter of cagable pets with Quantity of 2 or 3 to basically give me a list of all my potentially sellable pets when buying and selling on the AH. I haven't found any way to do that in Rematch.

2) Sometimes rematch is too compact. I know it sounds funny but if I'm sitting in the AH on a mule I don't need something that is compact and efficient and only takes up a small corner of my screen. Huge and not a dense can be easier to work with when you really don't care about what else is going on around you.

3) Old habits die hard. I've been using the Pet Journal with PJE pretty much since I started doing pet battles so to some extent it is just my default way to do things. Lately I have started using rematch more because I can leave the Journal filtered as described above and still find what ever I need with rematch.

Since PJE is basically on life support as far as I know (It was basically abandoned before WoD came out but the original Author did return and get it at least mostly working for WoD but hasn't released an update or posted a response on Curse in almost a month) I'd happily use whatever you come up with instead as long as it covered my key uses.

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Badpathing » December 2nd, 2014, 7:12 pm

Just want to stop by and give my 2 cents about this addon. Like a lot of people here, I used PBT for years (well a couple) and could not imagine living without it. I finally took the plunge and installed Rematch. Not only is it probably, hands down, the most impressive addon I have EVER seen in my years of playing WoW, it does everything I wanted and more. Everytime I think of something I want it to do, I find out it does.

Imports my teams from PBT? check.
Sorts every way I need? check.

Wait? It manages a leveling queue for you and allows you to specify pets slots on a team as a level pet slot, which draws from the queue? check.

Gah?! It loads the appropriate team based on simply clicking on a trainer? check.

OMG! I can create notes for a battle, that display in a window when the battle loads? (just copy and paste your favorite strat from wowhead into the note and save). check..

Say what?? It strokes my OCD tendencies by allowing me to group teams through tabs? check..

and there is more. If you are on the fence, try it. I bet you will be glad you did.

Gello

Post by Gello » December 3rd, 2014, 2:01 am

Thanks for responses!
1) Not as many filtering options in Rematch. In particular I use a filter of cagable pets with Quantity of 2 or 3 to basically give me a list of all my potentially sellable pets when buying and selling on the AH. I haven't found any way to do that in Rematch.
Under Miscellaneous you can filter cagable(tradable) pets with a quantity of 2 or 3. But not 2 and 3 at the same time, but that's a trivial fix. It'd probably make more sense to filter to 1 pet, 2+ pets, 3+ pets instead of the current 1 pet, 2 pets or 3+ pets. I can have that in next update easy.
2) Sometimes rematch is too compact. I know it sounds funny but if I'm sitting in the AH on a mule I don't need something that is compact and efficient and only takes up a small corner of my screen. Huge and not a dense can be easier to work with when you really don't care about what else is going on around you.
Yeah I can see that. Half the reason for planning the addon to replace the journal is the default journal is too honking big imho. (And also touching the journal starts to step onto toes of other addons)

But I agree the current UI is too dense. The ability to expand it vertically doesn't help the denseness at all.

I love tinkering in xml, btw. I'm really not opposed to doing a total overhaul of the UI again. I'd actually enjoy it. But as you say:
3) Old habits die hard. I've been using the Pet Journal with PJE pretty much since I started doing pet battles so to some extent it is just my default way to do things. Lately I have started using rematch more because I can leave the Journal filtered as described above and still find what ever I need with rematch.
I don't want users to have to re-learn how to use the addon every few months. But I would like to make it simpler somehow.

Perhaps keep the same rough layout, make the expanded view naturally wider with more space and larger elements, make the square buttons twice as wide, maybe move the option button (and perhaps find battle button) into the expanded view and rework some of that, etc.
Just want to stop by and give my 2 cents about this addon.
Thanks too!

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » December 3rd, 2014, 8:43 am

Gello wrote:Thanks for responses!
Under Miscellaneous you can filter cagable(tradable) pets with a quantity of 2 or 3. But not 2 and 3 at the same time, but that's a trivial fix. It'd probably make more sense to filter to 1 pet, 2+ pets, 3+ pets instead of the current 1 pet, 2 pets or 3+ pets. I can have that in next update easy.
There maybe more options in PBJE that you should look at. I know sorting ascending/descending (Which we discussed a while back) among others (and I realize the intricacies of that with respect to default sortings). You might go through and see what it provides and make a list.

On a side note, one thing I have really been missing out of Rematch is a way to do an "AND" relation ship when using the type bar for "Strong vs". Trying to find pets that are strong vs two different types at the same time is a bit difficult as the current method seems to do an "OR". Granted an "AND" relationship is meaningless for both "Type" and "Tough vs", but when trying to figure out 2 pet strats where one pet is faced against 2 or more pets, it would be really hand for "Strong vs".

On the changes. One of the benefits of Rematch over the Pet Journal is that you can have it up while other default windows are up. If I want to look at the AH and see my pets at the same time, the default journal doesn't work. I like that I can have both the AH window and Rematch up at the same time. I also like that it is movable (default pet journal is not). That said, I think the bigger complaints vs Rematch (when compared to say PBT) are lack of simplicity and small font/size, so my opinion is probably in the minority.

Have you ever thought of splitting the addon into components so that people who say want the team interface + auto loading can just get that, but those who want the levelling queue or the search capability could get that too? Some addons do that successfully. I only say that because it might help on the simplicity aspect in that you don't have to get all the options if you don't want to. I personally like all the options myself though.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » December 3rd, 2014, 12:24 pm

Gello wrote:Thanks for responses!
Yeah I found that and that was the exact problem I ran into. I could get 2 or 3 but not both at the same time. I'm not sure the best way to implement it but it would be good to be able to search for 2 or 3 or both at the same time. PJE just lets you check multiple boxes at the same time so if you want 2 and 3 then you just check both.
Yeah I can see that. Half the reason for planning the addon to replace the journal is the default journal is too honking big imho. (And also touching the journal starts to step onto toes of other addons)

But I agree the current UI is too dense. The ability to expand it vertically doesn't help the denseness at all.

I love tinkering in xml, btw. I'm really not opposed to doing a total overhaul of the UI again. I'd actually enjoy it. But as you say:
I don't want users to have to re-learn how to use the addon every few months. But I would like to make it simpler somehow.

Perhaps keep the same rough layout, make the expanded view naturally wider with more space and larger elements, make the square buttons twice as wide, maybe move the option button (and perhaps find battle button) into the expanded view and rework some of that, etc.
Just want to stop by and give my 2 cents about this addon.
Thanks too!
You could make it an option or a toggle to increase the size and/or add more spacing between the two. I can also see the advantage of keeping the current interface in addition to taking over the main Journal enhancements from PJE.

A couple random things.

1) When I reorganize the queue and move something to top the menu stays open even after I've select send to top. I have to do extra work to close it out which is annoying.

2) With the filters I'd love the ability to save filters to quickly reload a given filter such as the one I mentioned.

Gello

Post by Gello » December 3rd, 2014, 2:03 pm

On a side note, one thing I have really been missing out of Rematch is a way to do an "AND" relation ship when using the type bar for "Strong vs". Trying to find pets that are strong vs two different types at the same time is a bit difficult as the current method seems to do an "OR". Granted an "AND" relationship is meaningless for both "Type" and "Tough vs", but when trying to figure out 2 pet strats where one pet is faced against 2 or more pets, it would be really hand for "Strong vs".
Is there ever a need to do an "OR" for Strong vs? It could be made to be "AND" but I worry if its results would be confusing.
Have you ever thought of splitting the addon into components so that people who say want the team interface + auto loading can just get that, but those who want the levelling queue or the search capability could get that too? Some addons do that successfully. I only say that because it might help on the simplicity aspect in that you don't have to get all the options if you don't want to. I personally like all the options myself though.
I've thought of a load-on-demand module that attaches a teams panel to the side of the journal. But it'd seem expected to be able to save teams if you can set up pets and have the team list, and maybe access to the leveling queue too, and that's where the idea of reversing direction and taking over the default journal came about. Maybe I can meet halfway.
Yeah I found that and that was the exact problem I ran into. I could get 2 or 3 but not both at the same time. I'm not sure the best way to implement it but it would be good to be able to search for 2 or 3 or both at the same time. PJE just lets you check multiple boxes at the same time so if you want 2 and 3 then you just check both.
It seems a lot more logical to make it 1, 2+ or 3+. I can't really think of a time where someone would filter pets to only two except for testing purposes. I can make the three quantities checkbuttons too. I've already made the change for next update. We'll see if anyone misses the filtering to only 2.
1) When I reorganize the queue and move something to top the menu stays open even after I've select send to top. I have to do extra work to close it out which is annoying.
It stays open since you're moving the pet around you can keep moving. I suppose it makes more sense to close the menu when sending to top or end of list. I'll have this in next update also.
2) With the filters I'd love the ability to save filters to quickly reload a given filter such as the one I mentioned.
You can save a filter from "Save Filters" near the end of the filter menu. Then whenever you want to use that filter again "Load Filters" from the menu. Every filter setting except the search box is saved. WoD was fast approaching so I couldn't flesh it out to a "Favorites Filter" UI. I wanted to add an extra button beside the filter button so it could be loaded without going into the menu, but it wasn't worth making the already-cramped search box smaller. edit: I just realized the Save/Load Filters keeps the filter menu open too. Maybe these are good ones to dismiss menu with also.

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » December 3rd, 2014, 2:43 pm

Gello wrote:
It seems a lot more logical to make it 1, 2+ or 3+. I can't really think of a time where someone would filter pets to only two except for testing purposes. I can make the three quantities checkbuttons too. I've already made the change for next update. We'll see if anyone misses the filtering to only 2.
That would be fine with me. I don't recall ever actually wanting to get just pets I have two of.
It stays open since you're moving the pet around you can keep moving. I suppose it makes more sense to close the menu when sending to top or end of list. I'll have this in next update also.
Yeah, I can see staying open making sense for move up/down or things you might want to do multiple times but for top/bottom it doesn't make much sense.
You can save a filter from "Save Filters" near the end of the filter menu. Then whenever you want to use that filter again "Load Filters" from the menu. Every filter setting except the search box is saved. WoD was fast approaching so I couldn't flesh it out to a "Favorites Filter" UI. I wanted to add an extra button beside the filter button so it could be loaded without going into the menu, but it wasn't worth making the already-cramped search box smaller. edit: I just realized the Save/Load Filters keeps the filter menu open too. Maybe these are good ones to dismiss menu with also.
I'll have to look at that once the new version comes out. Right now I can't save the search I really want to =)

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Post by Iamwhatis » December 3rd, 2014, 3:21 pm

Is there a utube video showing how to use the features. I am particularly interested in using tabs to save groups of team. Like one for celestial tournament teams one for each areas tamers one for capture teams one for leveling teams etc. also how to set up and use note. As for sizing could. You make it in a sizeable window and make the boxes. Sizeable in the window?

Iibis

Post by Iibis » December 3rd, 2014, 7:36 pm

I have to admit that (when talking about the pet list part only) while the Rematch search function is great, and I'm getting more used to it now, I'm not a fan of addons that completely replace a part of the default UI. I'm not sure if that was your plan or not. A couple of pointers from my pov:

A) I don't know if it's because I'm playing on a 1920x1080 13" laptop and I have crappy eye sight as it is, but the pet list in Rematch is a bit difficult for me to read as it is, although I'm getting more and more used to it. But still I don't know if it's a) more spacing between pets and bigger icons, b) wider columns so the pet names fit into one row (which also adds more space between names in the list) or that c) the names are colored based on rarity rather than the background, that makes the default journal easier for me to read. It might be also that the pet cards are not locked to a fixed position (different position for pets in the top vs. bottom of the list).

B) I prefer enhancements that fit the default style - I'm still not an UI purist and I do have a heavily customized UI. I think the main issue is that when some addon completely replaces a part of the default UI, it often follows some "design aesthetic". For example the entire design of ElvUI is really popular now, which is just miles away from my own UI. It doesn't even have to be a trend as it were, but with the more there are individual addons changing the appearance of the default UI, the more aesthetically challenging it is to make everything fit together.

C) One issue might be also that the default pet journal is attached to the mount & toy collections, so I'm not sure how having a replacement frame for the pet journal would work. Again, I don't know how you thought of implementing the changes, but right now it's ok to have Rematch as a separate window and still be able to check the normal (though addon enhanced) journal as well.

What I'm really missing though is a fast and clear indication of how many of each pet I have, and the breeds & lvls of those pets. It's the same issue with the normal/PJE pet journal, but I'd love to see a solution for that. For example if I'm filtering to show only low level pets, I'd like a way to quickly see if I already have that pet at a higher level and what breed they are. I think I'm just so blind that best would be to have that information as text somewhere not too many mouseclicks and mouseovers away.

The above might not be that essential if there was the ability to only show pets that I don't have currently at max level, because mainly I want to see that when picking leveling pets. I saw a ticket about this for PJE and the response was that it's not possible because there's no access to information like that (or something), though, so do you know if Rematch is also limited to not being able to do that?

Now that it's sort of the topic anyways, I just remembered that I have a couple of search syntax questions:
1) Is it possible to do a exact match search? For example just trying to search for a Rat displays 828 of my 839 pets. Exact matches & wildcards?
2) I keep trying to do searches using abbreviations like "h>100"/"hp>100", "lvl<25", "p>305", so could the most common abbreviations be added as alternative search "terms"? (h or hp, s, p and lvl are the first that come to my mind). I also keep adding & between search terms even though it's not needed. >_>
3) Is there a way to do exclusions, like ! for not. I've had occasions where that could've been handy but can't really think of an example right now. Probably something to do with searching abilities, to exclude words so I don't get the wrong skills listed.

(This post really makes me feel like I'm almost blind, when it's not really THAT bad. It's just this laptop and the resolution, and the distance between the screen and my eyes... Just makes everything tiny by default. For example font size 16 in the chat is starting to be comfortable to read, when normally that's huge)

Oh and take your time, Rematch is working great as it is, and we all have a new expansion to play with ;)

Gello

Post by Gello » December 4th, 2014, 12:31 am

Is there a utube video showing how to use the features. I am particularly interested in using tabs to save groups of team. Like one for celestial tournament teams one for each areas tamers one for capture teams one for leveling teams etc. also how to set up and use note. As for sizing could. You make it in a sizeable window and make the boxes. Sizeable in the window?
There isn't that I know of. It's something I should do someday.

Team tabs are pretty straightforward. When you start using the addon there's one General tab that all teams are in, and a green "+" tab to pick a name and icon for a new tab. Whenever you save a team, it will go to whatever tab you're currently in. You can move a team to a different tab by right-clicking the team. You can change tabs or reorder them by right-clicking the tab.

For notes, right-click a team and Set Notes and a window will pop up that you can paste or type notes into. The window is resizable and independent from the main window. You can mouseover the team's notes icon to read the notes or there's an option to automatically display the notes when you've entered a battle with a team that contains one.

The main window has two ways to resize: a Larger Window option that scales the main window 20% bigger; and a resize grip along the bottom to make the window shorter/taller through a true resize.
I have to admit that (when talking about the pet list part only) while the Rematch search function is great, and I'm getting more used to it now, I'm not a fan of addons that completely replace a part of the default UI. I'm not sure if that was your plan or not. A couple of pointers from my pov:
I'm not a fan of complete replacements either. Fortunately this thread has convinced me to stay the course and keep the addon separate. At most I'll make a separate module to display teams and their tabs alongside the default journal.
What I'm really missing though is a fast and clear indication of how many of each pet I have, and the breeds & lvls of those pets. It's the same issue with the normal/PJE pet journal, but I'd love to see a solution for that. For example if I'm filtering to show only low level pets, I'd like a way to quickly see if I already have that pet at a higher level and what breed they are. I think I'm just so blind that best would be to have that information as text somewhere not too many mouseclicks and mouseovers away.
I'll look into adding that to the pet card. Perhaps number of pets owned right on the card. It's not obvious but the little pennant behind the level is gold if you have a level 25 version of that pet, and silver otherwise. So if you're looking at a level 5 pet that you have a 25 version of, it will have a gold pennant. A level 5 pet where you don't have any 25s will be silver.
The above might not be that essential if there was the ability to only show pets that I don't have currently at max level, because mainly I want to see that when picking leveling pets. I saw a ticket about this for PJE and the response was that it's not possible because there's no access to information like that (or something), though, so do you know if Rematch is also limited to not being able to do that?
Addons can do this. Rematch already does it kinda with the "Fill Queue" leveling queue menu item. It adds one of each species that's not at max level. I can easily add a "None at 25" filter option to list pets you don't have a 25 version. I'll likely have this in the next update.
Now that it's sort of the topic anyways, I just remembered that I have a couple of search syntax questions:
1) Is it possible to do a exact match search? For example just trying to search for a Rat displays 828 of my 839 pets. Exact matches & wildcards?
2) I keep trying to do searches using abbreviations like "h>100"/"hp>100", "lvl<25", "p>305", so could the most common abbreviations be added as alternative search "terms"? (h or hp, s, p and lvl are the first that come to my mind). I also keep adding & between search terms even though it's not needed. >_>
3) Is there a way to do exclusions, like ! for not. I've had occasions where that could've been handy but can't really think of an example right now. Probably something to do with searching abilities, to exclude words so I don't get the wrong skills listed.
1) Exact matches is doable. I'll make it so quotes ("Rat") will search only whole matches. That may not make next update.
2) For level you can just do "<25" but the others don't have an abbreviation. I can do h, s, p and lvl easily. It's already set up with multiple keys for those searches without impacting search performance. Actually I'll do l<25 for consistency. This will make next update (already made the change).
3) There is not. It's maybe something to explore when I get that search box wider and little more elbow room in the UI.
Oh and take your time, Rematch is working great as it is, and we all have a new expansion to play with ;)
That's good because I'm playing the new expansion too. :D After the holiday madness is over and new content is mostly consumed I'll be back to usual coding speed.

Iibis

Post by Iibis » December 4th, 2014, 7:28 am

Gello wrote: I'll look into adding that to the pet card. Perhaps number of pets owned right on the card. It's not obvious but the little pennant behind the level is gold if you have a level 25 version of that pet, and silver otherwise. So if you're looking at a level 5 pet that you have a 25 version of, it will have a gold pennant. A level 5 pet where you don't have any 25s will be silver.

Yep it's a bit too unobvious for me to differentiate between the golden and the silver, though I do usually remember to check it, but it's more that I would also be looking at whether I have that particular breed at lvl 25, and currently I would have to reset my filters to check that.
Addons can do this. Rematch already does it kinda with the "Fill Queue" leveling queue menu item. It adds one of each species that's not at max level. I can easily add a "None at 25" filter option to list pets you don't have a 25 version. I'll likely have this in the next update.
That's nice. I'm a bit old fashioned and like to personally pick which pets to level ;) I have to try the queue filling with some filters to narrow it down, though.
1) Exact matches is doable. I'll make it so quotes ("Rat") will search only whole matches. That may not make next update.
2) For level you can just do "<25" but the others don't have an abbreviation. I can do h, s, p and lvl easily. It's already set up with multiple keys for those searches without impacting search performance. Actually I'll do l<25 for consistency. This will make next update (already made the change).
3) There is not. It's maybe something to explore when I get that search box wider and little more elbow room in the UI.
Nice, thank you :)

Gello

Post by Gello » December 5th, 2014, 1:59 am

Many of the recent stuff in this thread just posted for 3.1.8:
12/05/2014 version 3.1.8
- Fixed a bug where renaming a team will delete its notes.
- Pet filter by quantity now filters for 1, 2+ or 3+ Pets instead of 1, 2 or 3 Pets.
- Leveling queue right-click menu items "Move to Top" and "Move to End" will dismiss menu.
- Pet filter menu items "Load Filters" and "Save Filters" will dismiss menu.
- When searching stats, you can abbreviate Health, Power, Speed and Level as H, P, S and L respectively. ie L<25 or s>300.
- New pet filter "Without Any 25s" under Miscellaneous to filter to all pets without a level 25 variant.
- Old pet filter "Only Level 25s" moved to Miscellaneous and paired with new "Without Any 25s".

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » December 5th, 2014, 8:00 am

Out of curiosity, what are the rules for the auto rotate on the queue? I have a list of 24's and 23's that I am levelling at the moment. I had it set to Descending and auto rotate. After each battle, it would change the levelling pet, which didn't seem odd at first...I just figured it changed them out based on experience because they were all level 24's. Eventually though, it started loading 23's after each battle. This was odd because I still had 4ish level 24's in my queue.

My expectation was that it should always use the highest level pets in the queue when set to Descending and auto rotate. Is that not the case?

Also, is there a way for me to have it "move down the list" from top to bottom if auto rotate is not enabled? My attempted workaround for the above issue was to use the Descending to order them in the queue and then select the top pet and let the queue go in order, but after the first pet got to 25, it jumped down the list to a level 1 pet far below. I assume it is working off the order they were added vs the displayed order?

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » December 5th, 2014, 11:58 am

I've never used the Auto rotate but when one pet hits 25 it has always selected the next pet in the list for me. The only exception is when I've used the <- and -> arrows to switch around pets and then it seems to jump back up to the top of the queue if memory serves.

Helbrecht
Pet Score:4274
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us

Post by Helbrecht » December 5th, 2014, 2:20 pm

Changing the 'Strong vs.' search from OR to AND would be a great help.

When a pet dings 25 and is removed from the leveling queue, the que doesn't take the next pet in the queue, or the highest pet in the queue, it takes one specific pet every time (right now it's a Stunted Yeti for me, but I don't think that's important). Is this because I have the queue sorted by level, but that Yeti is actually the top pet in the queue?

Gello

Post by Gello » December 5th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Out of curiosity, what are the rules for the auto rotate on the queue? I have a list of 24's and 23's that I am levelling at the moment. I had it set to Descending and auto rotate. After each battle, it would change the levelling pet, which didn't seem odd at first...I just figured it changed them out based on experience because they were all level 24's. Eventually though, it started loading 23's after each battle. This was odd because I still had 4ish level 24's in my queue.

My expectation was that it should always use the highest level pets in the queue when set to Descending and auto rotate. Is that not the case?
Coincidentally, this weekend is when I start reworking the mechanics of the leveling queue/leveling slot to get min hp/max hp (and multiple leveling pets) working. So this is good timing.

Let me preface by saying that levels as far as the queue sorting is concerned are partial levels. A 24 with 80% to 25 will be considered level 24.8; a level 24 with 40% to 25 will be considered level 24.4.

When auto rotate is enabled and there is no sorting, after each fight in which a pet gains xp, it fetches the next pet in the queue. Not the top pet, because the top pet never changes, but the next pet.

When auto rotate is enabled and pets are sorted by ascending level, it fetches the topmost pet in the queue after the sort. So if you have a level 1 in queue with a bunch of level 24s, the level 1 should stay as the leveling pet until it passes the lowest 24. (ie if you have a level 23.5, 24.1 and 24.8 pet in the queue, when the 23.5 pet exceeds 24.1 it will drop to the second slot and the 24.1 should swap in)

However, when the auto rotate is enabled and pets are sorted by descending level, then if it were to behave like it did for ascending, it would never rotate. The 24.8 pet would stay in the top slot until it reached 25, then the 24.1 would stay until it reached 25, then the 23.5 would stay until it reached 25. In the interest of making auto rotate do something on descending sort, it just blindly goes to the next pet in the queue like the unsorted auto rotate.

Median sort follows the ascending rule, since a pet's distance from 10.5 can change as they level and new pets will swap in.

So to recap:
- Ascending and Median sorts will fetch the top-most pet from the queue after a leveling pet gains xp.
- Unsorted and Descending sorts blindly go down the queue in their displayed order.
- The reason Unsorted and Descending work this way is because Auto Rotate would do nothing if it fetched the top-most pet in the queue after a leveling pet gains xp. (highest level pet will remain highest level; unsorted pets always stay highest level)

The tooltips mention this behavior but probably not clearly.

But I'm very open to ideas on this. I'll be honest I've not really used auto rotate a lot so I'm open to ideas on how to make it work better for those who want this function.
Also, is there a way for me to have it "move down the list" from top to bottom if auto rotate is not enabled? My attempted workaround for the above issue was to use the Descending to order them in the queue and then select the top pet and let the queue go in order, but after the first pet got to 25, it jumped down the list to a level 1 pet far below. I assume it is working off the order they were added vs the displayed order?
There's the <- and -> buttons when you mouseover the current leveling pet in the collapsed view. As far as after a pet dings 25 it should go by sorted order but that behavior makes me think it's going by the raw/unsorted order. I'll review that.
Changing the 'Strong vs.' search from OR to AND would be a great help.
I'll see about doing this. I worry it may make the concurrent filters confusing, but I agree filters with the OR for strong vs is not overly useful.
When a pet dings 25 and is removed from the leveling queue, the que doesn't take the next pet in the queue, or the highest pet in the queue, it takes one specific pet every time (right now it's a Stunted Yeti for me, but I don't think that's important). Is this because I have the queue sorted by level, but that Yeti is actually the top pet in the queue?
That's a definite bug. I'm not sure why that's happening for you. But it will be moot soon as the innards get rewritten.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » December 5th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Gello wrote: When auto rotate is enabled and there is no sorting, after each fight in which a pet gains xp, it fetches the next pet in the queue. Not the top pet, because the top pet never changes, but the next pet.
How does one tell the difference between the pet below the top pet and the next pet? I didn't notice a visual indicator of the next pet as all I can see is the list as Rematch is displaying it (which is not the order it is selecting pets). The next pet can be anywhere in my queue of 20 pets, but I can't tell what that will be until Rematch auto chooses it.
Gello wrote: However, when the auto rotate is enabled and pets are sorted by descending level, then if it were to behave like it did for ascending, it would never rotate. The 24.8 pet would stay in the top slot until it reached 25, then the 24.1 would stay until it reached 25, then the 23.5 would stay until it reached 25. In the interest of making auto rotate do something on descending sort, it just blindly goes to the next pet in the queue like the unsorted auto rotate.
I would actually say that keeping the highest level pet until 25 would be the most intuitive thing, even it means auto rotate doesn't impact operation. The same for an unsorted list (keeping the topmost).

How should descending sort work with auto rotate disabled? I was expecting that it would keep the topmost pet until 25, then pick the pet right below that, but it appears to pick the "next" pet which I can't tell what that is.
Gello wrote: - Ascending and Median sorts will fetch the top-most pet from the queue after a leveling pet gains xp.
- Unsorted and Descending sorts blindly go down the queue in their displayed order.
- The reason Unsorted and Descending work this way is because Auto Rotate would do nothing if it fetched the top-most pet in the queue after a leveling pet gains xp. (highest level pet will remain highest level; unsorted pets always stay highest level)
#1: Sounds good
#2: I think this isn't as intuitive and I'm not sure there is a a use case (maybe there is?)?
#3: I think it is ok that auto rotate would do nothing in those situations.
Gello wrote:
There's the <- and -> buttons when you mouseover the current leveling pet in the collapsed view. As far as after a pet dings 25 it should go by sorted order but that behavior makes me think it's going by the raw/unsorted order. I'll review that.
The hard part about this is I can't see where the <- and -> effectively move the pet through the list since the displayed list doesn't match the select list. When my level 24 waterfly levelled to 25, for example, it randomly picked a level 1 soul of the forge which was 2/3 of the way down the list (not even near the waterfly). I had no indication the soul of the forge would be next. From the displayed list, I expected my 24 moonshell crab to be picked next but it wasn't. That make sense?

EDIT: example of what I am seeing below:

Queue:
24 Waterfly
24 Moonshell crab
23 Mossbite Skitterer
16 Trunks
11 Teroclaw Hatchling
1 Sould of the Forge
1 Crimson Spore

Settings: Auto Rotate off. I have selected Descending order
1. 24 Waterfly is my current pet.
2. Battle brings waterfly to 25.
3. I expect 24 Moonshell Crab to come in next, however Soul of the forge comes in instead.

EDIT: Looking at your last response again, I believe you are saying this is a bug, correct?