Is it worth having 2/3 of any unique ability pet in rare?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Mtecnic
Pet Score:1001
Realm:The Scryers-us
Is it worth having 2/3 of any unique ability pet in rare?

Post by Mtecnic » December 3rd, 2014, 2:55 pm

Before I spend hours trying to trap multiple rares of any unique ability type pet. I figured i'd ask. Well sorta, I completed a set of 3 [pet]Emerald Proto-Whelp[/pet] after what seemed like an endless amount of time and battles.

Is there a need for 2 or even 3 [pet]Emerald Proto-Whelp[/pet], [pet]Unborn Val'kyr[/pet] or [pet]Kun-Lai Runt[/pet]?

Are there any pets that you would see a benefit from having multiples or are most battles done by combo's of pets for maximum effectiveness?

With as good as the [pet]Emerald Proto-Whelp[/pet] is in PVE teaming three together seems like a good idea?

Thanks you guys are awesome!

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Re: Is it worth having 2/3 of any unique ability pet in rare

Post by Rendigar » December 3rd, 2014, 3:10 pm

It's really up to you to decide if that's the way you want to go, an argument can be made for both sides. Personally I only have duplicates to speed up my own leveling rotation - I don't use 2 of the exact same pet in any team, I've always been able to find a different pet to fill the role I need.

So for example I have 2 different darkmoon tonks, 2 chrominius', 2 pandaren water spirits, etc. just so that when I am using my guide to do the Pandaria trainers I have fewer stops for healing (I'm lazy and a packrat, so don't want to use bandages much). I have 2 completely different explosion teams with all different pets to go along with my 2 burst/howl-bomb (I think I'll rename it in my guide) just so I don't need to heal and can kill the 1st 3-4 beasts of fable without needing to heal at all.

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » December 3rd, 2014, 4:04 pm

I think there are instances where you may want a different breed. Some scenarios call for a S/S breed, and some for a P/P breed. I know there is much debate on which Val'k is the better one, B/B or H/H. So having one of each of those isn't a bad thing.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » December 3rd, 2014, 6:08 pm

I personally like having 2 of each (of the pets that you've listed).
I like having H/H & B/B Unborn Val'Kyr
I like having P/P & P/S Emerald Proto Drake
I like having X/S & P/P Kun-Lai Runt.

I def wouldn't make it a priority to get multiple. I prefer leveling a new pet (with a different move-set). When you are out of (interesting) pets to level, why not. Having different breeds creates some diversity to your stable.

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » December 3rd, 2014, 6:16 pm

I don't really care for duplicates, especially if they're also breed duplicates. I do try to keep different breeds just in case (though I won't camp ultra-rare pets like the Val'kyr just to try to get a different breed). I prefer using different pets and not use the same team over and over again. I'm already annoyed that I use so few of the wild pets. Before WoD I actually cleaned my pet journal and caged duplicates and stored them in an alt bank. I also released duplicate wild pets based on breed & rarity. I probably got rid of 200+ pets.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » December 4th, 2014, 12:08 am

There are a lot of pets out there that do similar things to the Emerald Proto. (I have 2 because I went back much later for a P/P-when I first caught my rare there weren't even stones in the game yet iirc).

Anyway, I prefer using similar pets, but not exactly the same to keep it interesting. Like Emerald Whelpling or Nexes Whelp (very good against Talar tamer also btw, and they can carry a lvl 1).

Also my P/P Em Proto can solo just about any wild PVE battle, so she carries the little ones along. (With a Terrible Turnip just in case I want to capture one). The only benefit I see to more than 1 Emerald Proto would be to heal less and switch out, but now that's only 4 minutes...

Saebjoern
MVP
Pet Score:4816
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Saebjoern » December 4th, 2014, 1:22 am

Only pet I really have multiples of are the Emerald Protowhelp x3 and the Nexus Whelpling x3. Pretty strong eh? Not unbeatable of course... but you have to get luck to have to right team to beat it.

Dagris
Top Rater
Pet Score:9380
BattleTag®:Dugoth#1259
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Dagris » December 4th, 2014, 9:01 am

I've got 3 unholy Valkyrs, Chromaggus, and Pandaren Water Spirits but that's more of a convenience thing so that I could have 3 separate Beasts of Fable teams and not have to heal my pets as often. There are PvP teams which rely on double/triple pets who have abilities that support/compliment each other...rabbits, snakes, sunflowers, crows, etc. I'm not sure if there's any real need for it in PvE. Maybe a few of the Celestial tournament fights, I know I had a 3 maggot team for one of those...

Blixtiya
Pet Score:10423
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Blixtiya » December 4th, 2014, 12:45 pm

I have double/triple of pets I find useful in pvp and pve:

doubles:
Alpine Foxlings (s/s, deemed useful enough)
Brilliant Bloodfeather (s/s and p/p, looks interesting to me)
Creepy crate (possible pvp)
Darkmoon zeppelin (excellent pve pet)
Jademist dancer (p/s, for both pve and pvp)
Kun-lai Runt (pve purpose)
Nether Faerie Dragon (s/sand p/p, huge pve pet, thinking of getting another s/s)
Pandaren Water Spirit (PvE, especially CT)
Quiraj Guardling (s/s, pvp)

Triples:
Bonkers (2 s/s for pvp, 1 p/s for CT)
Bronze Whelp (got one of bad breed that was given to me, then p/p and s/s for good breeds, due to skillset)
Crow (all s/s, for massive use in pve, dont like crow teams in pvp personally)
Infinate Whelpling (p/p and p/s for usefulness in pve, p/b for being in my first team to get to 25)
Nordrassil Wisp (planned pvp with them, found unreliable, but stoned 3 and leveled, so not gonna release)
Unborn Val'kyr (both breeds, 3rd just happened)
Wildhammer Gryphon hatchling (diff breeds, pve reasons)

got a few others for different reasons than usefulness, but they are irrelevant. sorry if the list is unneccessarily long.

Sedaii
MVP
Pet Score:8199
BattleTag®:Sedaii#1645
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Sedaii » December 4th, 2014, 2:07 pm

It is worth it to me. Some of my duplicates are because for example, I got 3 Mr. Bigglesworths and there was no way I was going to delete any of him. I love [pet]Mr. Bigglesworth[/pet] so much, I used to kick people from raids for killing him in Naxx.

Some of my duplicates like my [pet]Crystal Spider[/pet]s I considered as necessary for the Celestial Tournament, as insurance, because you can't heal your pets while in that instance.

Some of my duplicates are there because I got my first rare and leveled it to 25, then realized I needed it in another breed to beat a certain tamer fight, for example, my [pet]Emperor Crab[/pet].

Some are just because these pets are powerhouses and I wanted to try making up teams with multiples of them, such as [pet]Crow[/pet], [pet]Kun-Lai Runt[/pet], [pet]Flayer Youngling[/pet], [pet]Infinite Whelpling[/pet].

When it comes down to it, it is just a matter of personal preference. I will keep mine unless space becomes an issue :D I love them all!
Sedaii#1645

Find me on Madoran:

Beave
Pet Score:4259
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Beave » December 4th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Sure. I have two of a bunch of pets. Chrominius is one I didn't see mentioned before I like having two of. I outlined my two Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling strat for today's garrison daily in the battle forum. Really any pet with a unique or strong skillset you can't duplicate with a similar pet is worth having two of if you like them.

Plus, I have a hard time not capturing wild rares when I come across them, so I do. At some point I'll have to start letting them go, but for now I have room.