Your Top 5 Underrated PVE Pets... share yours!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Mtecnic
Pet Score:1001
Realm:The Scryers-us
Your Top 5 Underrated PVE Pets... share yours!

Post by Mtecnic » December 2nd, 2014, 10:02 am

Since the rankings on this site are skewed by votes before some pets got nerfed I wanted to list my top 5 underrated pets and hope you can share your list as well!

Emerald Proto-Whelp - damn near invincible with shield, 3 round heal for over 1000 and heavy hits
Spawn of Onyxia - Moderate heals, good hard hitter with p/p
Bat - small heals but can hit like a truck sometimes with the crit modifier
Kelp Scuttler - decent shield and RIP/BitW is a hard hitting combo.
Twighlight Spider - heals with a double damage combo.

Hope you found some value in this! Please share yours!

Lowbrowdeluxe
Pet Score:5394
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Your Top 5 Underrated PVE Pets... share yours!

Post by Lowbrowdeluxe » December 2nd, 2014, 10:33 am

Kelp is a not as pretty, not as strong even as P/P version of Spineclaw, which is why it's rating is lower probably.

Mtecnic
Pet Score:1001
Realm:The Scryers-us

Post by Mtecnic » December 2nd, 2014, 11:40 am

Good point. I don't have one of those so i'll definitely be getting one soon!

Liopleurodon
Site Admin
Pet Score:3652
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Liopleurodon » December 2nd, 2014, 12:39 pm

I think it depends what your definition of underrated is! heh. I've been using the Emerald Whelp constantly in PVE fights this expansion. The Macabre Marionette & Lil Bling don't get nearly enough buzz for what unique players they are & the power they can pack. Frogs are rarely hyped as good, but are frequently used to beat encounters.

The one I don't hear nearly enough buzz about from this expansion is the Frostwolf Pup. It's Horde-only so that may have something to do with it, but I hear people losing their minds over the Ghostpup & have heard practically nothing on the Pup. The thing is, when paired with a bleed pet, the Frostwolf Pup can absolutely destroy any critter in PVE. I was just screwing around with it & managed to effectively 1-shot Lucky Yi with the Bleed -> Howl -> Maul combo in the last week of beta. I can't speak to whether this has been toned down, but she's certainly replacing Chrominius when I feel the need to use a Howl Bomb.
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Axarien » December 2nd, 2014, 3:38 pm

I think the Emerald Whelping is amazing in PVE fights.

Nohero
Pet Score:3683
Realm:Skullcrusher-us

Post by Nohero » December 2nd, 2014, 5:10 pm

I think the Emerald Proto-Whelp is a staple PVE pet, it was widely used to essentially solo most Master Tamer fights in the game and I don't think there's a single wild pet battle that it cannot solo. I don't know that I'd consider it underrated, there is tons of talk about how good it is.

I think the Molten Hatchling is my favourite underrated pet. A couple of pets that got early attention but you don't hear much about lately are the Blighthawk and Flayer Youngling, both still have the potential to be very dominating pets.

Echinacea
Pet Score:10214
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Echinacea » December 3rd, 2014, 12:38 pm

cogblade raptor

Saebjoern
MVP
Pet Score:4816
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Saebjoern » December 4th, 2014, 4:25 am

I gotta say, the most underrated one I believe, at least for leveling, is the Flamering Moth. Take him to the aquatic pet grind by No-No for power-leveling low level pets. He has a heal that is just amazing, If I remember correctly he is the only moth with a heal. You can grind up 2 pets at once without ever having to switch the Moth, and end most battles at full HP so you wont waste bandages.

Other than him, I like the Cogblade raptor a lot, Mr Bigglesworth, lil'bad wolf, and Arctic Foxling/Arctic Foxling kit. Dazzling dance and Howl are great for the team.
Last edited by Saebjoern on December 7th, 2014, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beave
Pet Score:4259
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Beave » December 4th, 2014, 10:56 am

Frogs are better "critters" than all but a few critters because they have critter attacks and as aquatic pets they're strong in defense against Undead. Swamp Croaker has the best move set of any frog I've found so far because he's a frog with a dodge skill. Croaker is my #1 pet off the bench against trainers when I need an undead matchup, and in my top 2-3 against elementals. I prefer the H/B breed over the B/B.

Against undead set him up with tongue lash in slot one, flies in slot two, and bubble in slot three. Against elementals use water jet in slot one. Typically you open the fight with flies or bubble, then start hitting your slot 1 attack. Most of the trainer battles are very predictable, so you can figure out when the big hitter attacks are coming and get bubble up, and most of the trainer pets have a big hitter attack you want to avoid, which is why Croaker stands out.

Faerdin
Top Rater
Pet Score:2930
BattleTag®:Shamtastic#1585
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Faerdin » December 6th, 2014, 2:34 am

One of the most underrated pets I've found (Or least represented in Battle Pets PvP, at least) would be the Frostwolf Ghostpup. I just managed to snag one a few days ago while I was doing Archaeology on my Combat Rogue, and the sheer diversity of its skillset is astounding. It can be a really strong team healer, it can fit very well in Darkness teams (Especially with the Frostfur Rat because of Refuge), or it can even pair up nicely with Nexus Whelplings to nullify the stunning portion of Ghostly Bite. It's become such a favorite of mine that I selected it as my avatar here! :D

Corefire Imps, Infinite Whelplings, and P/P Spineclaw Crabs also don't get nearly enough credit. I've had many a cringe-worthy fight in PvP that ended with the Infinite Whelpling's Sleeping Gas completely locking down my opponent's pet (Leading to me retiring it), the Corefire Imp being a Humanoid goes very well with Immolation, and the P/P Spineclaw Crab is a monstrous Aquatic pet. Its Blood in the Water hits like a truck, and Healing Wave can restore a massive amount of health.

@Lio: Agreed on the Frostwolf Pup! Maul still makes me shudder in remembrance of all the times people ran an Electrified Razortooth, a squirrel, and the Curious Wolvar Pup and made my team cry uncle. The fact the Pup has Howl on top of it means it should be an outright dangerous Beast Pet. Here's hoping I'll be able to nab one soon to keep my Ghostpup company!

Terrorpene15
Pet Score:3398
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Terrorpene15 » December 6th, 2014, 11:13 am

emerald proto is not underrated. isn't it a top battle pet? top 25? should be. if its not then you are right and I have no idea what people are rating it on.

No Particular Order
1. S/S Flayer Youngling- I see this overlooked constantly as there are a lot of options out there, to me, this is still how I like to roll on a lot of situations
2. S/S Molten Hatchling- stays alive like no other, mentioned above but is a forgotten spider
3. P/P Yellow Moth. hits like a truck
4. Ashwing/Flamering/Skywisp Moth's. I love them all.
5. a worg pup, with howl and dazzling dance, it can easily replace chrominius in some situations.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » December 6th, 2014, 11:45 am

There are many underrated PvE pets. Here are a few that I really like:

Corefire Imp
Teroclaw Hatchling
Infected Squirrel
Shrine Fly
Robo-Chick