New to site and to pet collecting

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Codeblack
Pet Score:501
Realm:Zul'jin-us
New to site and to pet collecting

Post by Codeblack » November 27th, 2014, 12:36 pm

Hi I recently picked up Pet battling and having a lot of fun with it. I don't have a huge collection at the moment, last time I checked was at 84 unique pets with only 7 maxed. I know this to most people is not a lot of pets but I am just getting into this little by little and feeling a bit overwhelmed when I look at my pet journal and trying to figure which pet I should level next. Do you guys tend to level your pets according to element type and try to have an even amount or simply just level the lowest ones and work your way up?

In regards to collecting this is the one I am currently having a rough time with. I wanted to hit durotar and attempt to get some rare low level adders, toads and hares. Let me just say its going extremely bad to the point that I wonder why level 1 pets are so rough to get? Maybe just my bad RNG :(
So I been roughly 1 day and coulpe hours trying to get a rare from the 3 I mentioned and only been able to snag the toad. This is a bit frustrating and was wondering if there is possibly a food or an item to help with rarity rates? Last question I guess is do you guys have like a method to rare collecting and do you think its worth it for me to get these pets or are there better ones I should be focusing on?

Thanks in advance

Knotrandall
Pet Score:4912
Realm:Maelstrom-us

Re: New to site and to pet collecting

Post by Knotrandall » November 27th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Catching rares in the wild can definitely be a frustrating experience, there's really nothing more to it than just battling A LOT (especially now that you can't forfeit and kill them to force a respawn). The alternative would be to use battle stones on them to make them rare, but for a beginner you most likely won't be seeing many of those for a long time.

I would focus on getting some of the really good pets that you'll be able to use to defeat a lot of the pet trainers you'll have to fight and getting those up to 25 and rare. That will make your job in leveling MUCH easier later on. Some really good pets that I would focus on off the top of my head are:

Anubisath Idol
Darkmoon Tonk and/or Darkmoon Zeppelin
Chrominius
Emerald Proto Whelp
Clockwork Gnome
nearly any moth (great against aquatics)
Fel Flame (great against mechanical)
nearly any snail

Codeblack
Pet Score:501
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Codeblack » November 27th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Good tips I will try to get my hands on the pets in that list I am missing for sure :)

Zimmy910
Pet Score:2066
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Zimmy910 » November 27th, 2014, 6:01 pm

Also try to level the new ones you got for free this expansion, I am really liking the Iron Starlette and Corgi. Also don't try to focus on catching rares too much, might take the fun out of it. Greens usually do nicely as well in the wild and you'll come across rares accidently quite often, even though at the moment it might not seem that way ;).
Morpheus, Zulbob, Zennadar and others on [EU]Aggramar
Pet Battles on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/zimmy910

Dagris
Top Rater
Pet Score:9380
BattleTag®:Dugoth#1259
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Dagris » November 27th, 2014, 7:31 pm

Zimmy910 wrote:Also try to level the new ones you got for free this expansion, I am really liking the Iron Starlette and Corgi. Also don't try to focus on catching rares too much, might take the fun out of it. Greens usually do nicely as well in the wild and you'll come across rares accidently quite often, even though at the moment it might not seem that way ;).
This, also once you get rolling in the pet end game you'll find more opportunities for finding/using/buying pet stones which can make those common/uncommon into rares directly. If you can do the Pandaren and Draenor dailies you'll find many stones in bags or that you can buy in your garrison with pet charms. I personally found it better to get the breed I want in uncommon then to try and focus on getting just the right rare in the wild. When the rares happen on their own great :)

Druzy
Pet Score:4598
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by Druzy » November 28th, 2014, 5:46 am

Many excellent pets drop in dungeons for free (and you vendor the rest of the drops), also wild pet battles can yield some of the best battle pets in the game. Please don't go broke on some fancy looking pets.

Stormwind and Org, respectively, have your faction's pet tamer battle quest. Rewards are daily gold, chances of some elemental pets, battle stones, bandages, some toys and other googaws. Then there is The Celestial Tournament which rewards some cool looking pets and pet treats which increase your pet leveling speed.

The more you battle (and catch) the better snares you can get (which allow for faster catches). The more pets you have the faster you work towards a safari hat (increases exp pet earns).

Some pets just plain aren't going to come in rare form, you'll find a list pinned to the top of this forum. Finding rares in the wild is pure chance, I used the non-rares for leveling fodder, then I found out about Pet Breeds and did it all again.

As for which pets to level to 25, well, I like to pin them to my favorites and work off that list. I did go family type for a while, then attainment type for another while, then which I liked for ability or strategy, and I'm back to family type (currently Aquatic). I'm patient and easily bored, which makes for some interesting times, so I found that the best way to work with myself is with a project and then loose rules (get all to 25, don't specify order).

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » November 28th, 2014, 6:23 am

One of the best tips I ever received, and in turn could ever give, is to invest time into level a [pet]Terrible Turnip[/pet] to make use of the ability [ability]Weakening Blow[/ability]. By doing this you will not risk accidentally killing those new rares you are after. Alternatively, we now also have the [pet]Molten Corgi[/pet] and its [ability]Superbark[/ability] ability that can serve the same purpose.

That said, if you are still interested in hunting for rares I am always more than happy to help as I am already finished with my rares. I can search on my server while search on yours, and then CRZ you to me if I find something that you need.

I'm on a US-Alliance server.

Also more than happy to answer any questions you might have, so feel free to add my Btag and shout at me in game :)

Wakamaru#1375
@TamerWakamaru

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » November 28th, 2014, 11:28 pm

I tried to lvl perfect counters as soon as I could:

Against Undead: Aquatic wither critter ability (frog/turtle)
Against Magic: Mech with Dragon ability (Mech Pandaren Dragonling)
Against Aquatic: Magic with Flying (Jade Owl)
Against Flying: Dragon with Magic (lots- like Emerald proto or Nexus whelp)
Against Beast: Flyer with Mech (Dragon Kite- or just a mech like Tonk)
Against Critter: Human with Beast (Kun-lai runt - stunted yeti)
Against Mech: Elemental with Elemental (I use Fel Flame)
Against Human: Beast with undead (Grubb/maggot- or just an undead like Val'kyr)
Against Dragon: Undead with Human (Scourged Whelp or just a human)
Against Elemental: Critter with Aquatic (snail)

In addition to the ones already mentioned. I also liked one with Decoy to lvl others like Zeppelin. But now with Tamer Ashlei in SMV a lvl 1 gets to 12-13 in one battle very easily. :mrgreen:

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » November 30th, 2014, 11:01 am

Codeblack wrote: Do you guys tend to level your pets according to element type and try to have an even amount or simply just level the lowest ones and work your way up?
I chose by the ultra methodical way of deciding which was cutest to me that day. :lol:
Codeblack wrote:This is a bit frustrating and was wondering if there is possibly a food or an item to help with rarity rates?
There are items in game to change the value of the pet (not the breed or type, just the rarity of it.) It comes in two forms: the green stone, which turns your pets into uncommon, and the blue, which makes them rare. During the last expac, you had (well, you still have) dailies that are specific to pet battles. You had to work up from the bottom (eg, the ones in EK and K), then move up to Outlands, etc. When you got to Pandaria, there was three sets of dailies, of which each gave you a bag (except for the fabled ones.) These bags had useless stuff, bandages, and the chance to drop the rare stones.

You also got a chance for pets. The normal Pandaran trainer bags have a porcupette (sp?) in it. The spirit trainers have the four elemental pets and the fabled bags have 3 panda's in them.

In Draenor, the trainers give you 4 pet charms for each win in the dailies. When you get a level 3 garrison, you open up the pet battle spot and can trade them in for rare stones (15 charms for a rare stone.) I'm not sure if you have to do all the other dailies to get to the Draenor dailies this expac though.

In both Org and SW, you can trade in 3 marked rare stones (they say something like 'flawless dragon stone') for an unmarked one. This is nice for the classes that have less pets (like the undead.)

I'd say, if you're first starting out, go for wild pets and the cheaper ones. Don't get the news one because they all cost an arm and a leg, The prices will drop soon enough.

As for leveling up the pets, once you defeat all the trainers up to Draenor (and one trainer of the other faction -- though I'm not certain if this is still true considering Draenor is out now), you got the hat which gives them 5% extra EXP. There are lesser treats you can get from the fabled bags or buy for 5 charms and the Celestial tournament has the normal treats or you can buy for 10 charms.

As a complete aside, the pets you favorite run around in your garrison and follow you around in there. It's quite funny. God save the poor dragon pets. XD By pure chance, I saw several bunnies hopping together with lil' Rag seemingly chasing them with his hammer out. :lol: