Pet Grindng.

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Goldenbelmont
Pet Score:2314
Realm:Turalyon-us
Pet Grindng.

Post by Goldenbelmont » November 11th, 2014, 12:23 am

So I usually grind pet levels at Mistfall, by No-No, and the hill Gorespine resides over when I'm through with my daily circuit. Over the last few days, those spots have been camped all day long. I'm looking for some other good locations that has a decent pet pool that i can sit at for hours and grind away with little travel.

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Pet Grindng.

Post by Topaz » November 11th, 2014, 2:23 am

the empty river + the 2 ponds by mistfall village near aki
this area is filled with aquatics and fliers

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » November 11th, 2014, 3:30 am

Farmlands in Valley of 4 Winds is ultimate grinding area, no threat long as you avoid the Virmen area and mostly easy Critters you're up against. Lots of wild pets. Isn't heavily camped, and is big enough that you can always find uncamped areas.

Goldenbelmont

Post by Goldenbelmont » November 11th, 2014, 4:38 am

now i've tried the valley, but besides Yi, i feel like i'm spending most of the exp buff looking for the next critter.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » November 11th, 2014, 8:07 am

Goldenbelmont wrote:now i've tried the valley, but besides Yi, i feel like i'm spending most of the exp buff looking for the next critter.
That's been my experience as well. On my server, I've had the best luck at both Nitun and Gorespine (though you said Gorespine was camped). Try around other beasts of fable. They also might have near infinite spawns and not all of them will be camped.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » November 11th, 2014, 12:33 pm

The place by Gorespine is probably the best place in the game. On my main server there's never anyone leveling there when I go.

On my server, the river by Aki is terrible. When I first started leveling pets there, there would only be a few of us. Now you can hardly find a Strider to battle. And people can be very rude, battling right on top of you.

If you don't mind leveling some of your pets in a slightly lower pet leveling area, go to Dragonblight and battle the Dragonbone Hatchlings. There seems to be a never ending supply of them.

In Pandaria, if you need ore or herbs you can multi task and travel up and down the river in The Jade Forest. You may even come across a rare H/H Emerald Turtle (if you don't already have one).

In Krasarang Wilds there are pockets of Feverbite Hatchlings, and hardly anyone levels there.

Those are the only places I can think of off the top of my head.

Liopleurodon
Site Admin
Pet Score:3652

Post by Liopleurodon » November 11th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Near Nitun can be really good, as can near Kafi. I've also found a lot of little pockets in Cata content which are virtually deserted. Near the lake in Hyjal is decent.
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/

Goldenbelmont

Post by Goldenbelmont » November 11th, 2014, 3:28 pm

I had forgotten about the one by Niun

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » November 12th, 2014, 7:57 pm

Goldenbelmont wrote:now i've tried the valley, but besides Yi, i feel like i'm spending most of the exp buff looking for the next critter.
I can understand this concern. The Valley--specifically the Heartlands--is still my favorite place for pet leveling, though, for several reasons. 1) close to a mailbox 2) close to a stable 3) only two pet families max in each mob, meaning two pets will cover any line up 4) lots of herbs and mines to grab for a little gold to pad the collecting wallet 5) little to no mobs to worry about 6) pet density is fairly high

Hopefully this information will be helpful to someone. :mrgreen:

Echinacea
Pet Score:10214
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Echinacea » November 13th, 2014, 2:06 pm

after ive done beasts of fable and daily trainers i fly to halfhill. from there i load up feline familiar and 2 levelling pets and go to the area around lucky yi.

there are all grasshoppers around him....so you can level even 1st level pets.

once i deplete that area i fly south to the river where there is an abundence of pets....then i run up and down the grass area just north of karasang because youll find packs of bandicoots being followed by 2 or 3 more. easy mop up

i like these areas because there is minimal interferance from mobs

Kismat
Pet Score:4760
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Kismat » November 16th, 2014, 10:14 am

Liopleurodon wrote:Near Nitun can be really good.
Anyone found a nice safe place like this (with fast spawn times) to level pets in the new Draenor areas?

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » November 16th, 2014, 5:54 pm

the only place i saw where have a cluster close to the numbers in pandaria is on the westren side of talador, there is a kid there that gives a quest to rescue brilliant bloodfeathers so beside the critters there, there are also some pets as well, again, not the large numbers were used to in pandaria.

Liopleurodon
Site Admin
Pet Score:3652

Post by Liopleurodon » November 16th, 2014, 6:03 pm

The eastern coast just north of Karabor usually has enough crabs to support 3 grinders without downtime, as long as people aren't trying to cherry pick for rares. There are Draenei NPCs but they don't aggro horde & won't flag for PVP if you decide to kill them. There's a fairly decent pocket just east of the single shared FP in Frostfire as well. All the mobs in the area are yellow clefthooves.
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Badpathing » November 22nd, 2014, 2:58 pm

Liopleurodon wrote:The eastern coast just north of Karabor usually has enough crabs to support 3 grinders without downtime, as long as people aren't trying to cherry pick for rares. There are Draenei NPCs but they don't aggro horde & won't flag for PVP if you decide to kill them. There's a fairly decent pocket just east of the single shared FP in Frostfire as well. All the mobs in the area are yellow clefthooves.
So, I am interested in grinding out the 500..and this seems like a good spot to do so. Do you have any advice on the best pets to use? I am currently finding Chi-Chi to be quite effective. I also want to level pets in the mean time.

So, another question..I noticed that if you 'start' with a level pet and immediately swap, that pet does not get XP..used to work, did they change that?

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » November 24th, 2014, 6:35 am

Badpathing wrote:I noticed that if you 'start' with a level pet and immediately swap, that pet does not get XP..used to work, did they change that?
That never worked, or at least never worked since 5.2. If a pet dies you can bring in a carry pet and immediately switch and it will still get XP. But if the carry pet is the first pet it has to fight one turn.

Eridalafar
Pet Score:4100
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Eridalafar » November 24th, 2014, 3:19 pm

To avoid that the carried pet is killed I generaly do my pet leveling in 2 steps.

The first step is to level the pet to level 10 (generaly I do this near Gadgetzan, just avoid the spider with a level 1 pet).

The second one is to level it as I do aventuring, a level 10 pet can survive 1 attack from most of the wild pet.

Eridalafar

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » November 24th, 2014, 4:14 pm

Badpathing wrote:So, I am interested in grinding out the 500..and this seems like a good spot to do so. Do you have any advice on the best pets to use?
I've been doing very well with an [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/flying/toucans/axebeak-hatchling/]Axebeak Hatchling[/url]. Mine is the Health/Power breed. He's flying, so extra speed isn't crucial in this scenario. And the extra damage from the Power half really helps decimate Aquatics. [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/aquatic/rain-dance/]Raindance[/url] + [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/flying/nocturnal-strike/]Nocturnal Strike[/url] has been a great combo, and helps to keep him alive longer. But the [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/flying/toucans/junglebeak/]Junglebeak[/url] and [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/flying/toucans/fruit-hunter/]Fruit Hunter[/url] have the same moveset, so they should be great too.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » November 24th, 2014, 4:27 pm

I ended up using Chi-Chi, the Iron Starlette and P/P Emerald Drake to cover all three types of pets that spawn on the SMV coast. Despite the fact that I literally have 100s of pet bandages, I don't end up using them at all. Every so often I just hit the free pet heal button and it seems to refresh by the time I need it again. Chi-Chi is always faster than the crabs, so she 2-shots (2 turns) them. The Iron Starlette 2-shots the beasts, and the drake makes quick work of bugs.

I was using an XT team for a while but the bad RNG around healing-happy crabs made it kind of annoying sometimes.

Just about to cross 300/500...so boring..on the flip-side, my DK is now level 98 and has yet to leave SMV :)

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » November 24th, 2014, 7:57 pm

I caught a really good strat on the US forums. Get Lil Xt or his clone Landros Lil Xt. Go to frostfire ridge. Go crazy on groups of icespine hatchlings and frostfur rats. The pet concentration is superdense unlike shadowmoon, and heartbroken+tympanic tantrum simply carves them up.

Even great for leveling carry pets.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » November 25th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Luciandk wrote:I caught a really good strat on the US forums. Get Lil Xt or his clone Landros Lil Xt. Go to frostfire ridge. Go crazy on groups of icespine hatchlings and frostfur rats. The pet concentration is superdense unlike shadowmoon, and heartbroken+tympanic tantrum simply carves them up.

Even great for leveling carry pets.
I tried this and feel like it is a lot slower than doing SMV coast. I think I finally settled on Chi Chi opener with FD to swap to either my Nexus Whelp, or Iron Starlette. With Arcane Storm and mana surge and Dragon racial, I frequently 1-shot two pets in a row. Iron Star (when he swaps from higher health) 2-shots everything.

It's pretty fast and frankly, easier to get to.