Why are pet charms soulbound?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Siegaplays
Pet Score:10055
Realm:Gnomeregan-us
Why are pet charms soulbound?

Post by Siegaplays » November 17th, 2014, 9:48 am

The celestial coins were boa, but the new pet charms are bop. Why did Blizzard ruin a good thing that fit the feature the currency is tagged to?

I have been trying to think of a reason why the currency for an account wide activity is soulbound to the character doing something, making it highly desirable to focus ones pet dailies to one character. It seems counter productive.

Since we - account wide - can only do said activity once a day there is no way to abuse the currency even if it went boa.

As soulbound though, it forces those with longterm plans on aquiring items for the currency to focus all their pet dailies to one character.

What am I missing in this?

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Why are pet charms soulbound?

Post by Jerebear » November 17th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Probably because your garrison daily quest is not account bound like the rest of them. They have a history of not wanting you to make X alts "have to" do X in order to get ahead. My guess (only a guess) is that they didn't want you to feel like you have to create an army of alts to get all the charms you need quicker. You might try tweeting @thecrafticus to see if he'll answer why for sure though.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Siegaplays
Pet Score:10055
Realm:Gnomeregan-us

Post by Siegaplays » November 18th, 2014, 10:05 am

ahh, ok, was not 100 yet, so the garrison pet dailies I did not include. I guess it is just best to just do all quest related pet content on one character and then pick up the wild pet battles on whatever character.

Erleichda
Pet Score:2768
Realm:Cenarius-us

Post by Erleichda » November 18th, 2014, 10:37 pm

I'm skeptical of that. There are a lot of things to do with garrisons that favor an alt army. Also, the things you get from pet stones don't really lead to any kind of "progression" and can all be gotten in unlimited quantities elsewhere. Also, everything you can buy with them is BoA and the most expensive thing is only 15 charms, so it would be a pretty superficial gating.

My best guess, though I don't think it's a very good one, would be it has something to do with how big a hassle it is to run around to the pet trainers without flying and parking alts at them. Hopefully it's just a poor decision that nobody looked closely at and they'll fix it before long.

Jyru
Pet Score:2324
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Jyru » November 19th, 2014, 5:13 am

Def. a case of not wanting to force you to have alts farming up pet charms Although, strange that the 6 dalies that give out pet charms are a shared cooldown across all accoumts, so im not sure how broken this would actually be.

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » November 22nd, 2014, 7:20 pm

Doesn't having soulbound Charms and character specific pet battle daily at garrison actually promote "having to do them with alt" mentality, as then you would like to do them with as many lvl 100 alts as possible to maximize the amount of stones etc you can get? I'm a bit tired and brain mushy from all the fishing so sorry if I'm not seeing something here :)

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » November 25th, 2014, 6:17 am

My guess would be it's so you can't pool all the charms into one character and immediately get one of the bigger rewards. Even something as simple as having to do a daily enough times on an alt so the alt itself can afford to buy the reward deters people from feeling they absolutely must do it every day because it's now more of an over time thing than immediate reward. Now as to why it's not a currency rather than an item that takes up bagspace, that I am curious about since it seems Blizzard's doing a lot of introducing 'toys' that aren't toys and currency that needs to take up slots and it's starting to take it's toll on my poor bank.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » November 25th, 2014, 9:54 am

I would just like my alts with no menagerie, to be able to send coins to the ones that do. This system promotes alt-ism for sure. I'll eventually level these toons, but this makes me want to do it sooner.

Feels like I'm spinning too many plates. Oh ya, and getting raid ready is in there somewhere too...