Random observations

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us
Random observations

Post by Skavenged » November 7th, 2014, 8:56 am

I'm still not sure if I like the changes but I will admit, it has made a lot more of the old pets viable in PvP. I've got a Magic team currently sitting at 53-7 after 60 fights (I try to do 20 per day, and five of the seven losses came against a Sky-Bo/Bronze Whelp team.) That's around 85%. Not too shabby when you consider that Magic wasn't a huge force pre-patch.

There is a lot more variability in winning now, and luck plays a bigger role. Those of us that have been battling from the beginning prefer the "chess match" battles, but on the bright side, the new system is more newbie friendly and will help to get more people doing PvP.

I haven't done enough research to tell for sure, but accuracy debuffs from weather (Darkness/Sandstorm/etc) seems to be considerably more than 10%

Weather has become an even bigger factor than before

The playing field feels more balanced, and with one exception, there really doesn't seem to be any real OP teams out there anymore

The one exception is Murkalot... Which is still waaaaay broken

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Re: Random observations

Post by Vek » November 7th, 2014, 11:27 am

While I do face a bit more variety many I face are still on about DAH/Valk/Idol and especially MPD/Fossilized Hatchling. Still it's a lot better than before patch.

Yes, more pets seem to be viable. I wonder if it is mainly due to the low hit damage range on the old power-hit moves, being like 45-50% instead of old 20% miss? But it sure is nice to know that your Lift-Off/Burrow will always damage and that you can actually count on the old 95% hit moves with cooldown to actually matter now and not miss.

The one thing that really stands out for me is the crits. I won't say that they decide every game, not even close. But the crits does have a huge difference. Yesterday I was facing a Murloc team and it was going to be a nail biter ending, but my opponent had the upper hand due to a 700+ crit earlier in the game. I do a burrow knowing that I will lose when I resurface, instead Burrow crits for 700+ and win me the game.

Skavenged

Post by Skavenged » November 7th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Yep, the regularity of crits have made it so that you've got a little more wiggle room. One wrong move doesn't automatically mean defeat anymore. Variable hits also means you can sometimes go toe-to-toe with a pet that directly counters yours.

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » November 7th, 2014, 3:03 pm

I agree with the darkness miss chance being more than 10%. I managed to miss 3 100% hit chance attacks in a row a few nights ago and overall using my Nitemare Night team I've seen an awful lot of misses from both sides.

I'd also add the MPD to the op list though.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » November 7th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Here is an idea. Since misses are removed except when affected by abilities, well certain direhorn abilities and 50% hit abilities as exception, how about removing Crits as well? It would make +crit abilities a bit more worthwile.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » November 7th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Vek wrote:Here is an idea. Since misses are removed except when affected by abilities, well certain direhorn abilities and 50% hit abilities as exception, how about removing Crits as well? It would make +crit abilities a bit more worthwile.
I knew this would be what people would start talking about not long after Blizzard caved and removed miss chance...

And no, I think the possibility of crits is fun and adds something that would be missed if they were gone without buffs.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » November 7th, 2014, 4:33 pm

I was never in the "remove misses" corner, but after patch I actually feel that crits are having a slightly too big of impact to the game. If you chose 80% hit move it was still a calculated risk to miss. Crits are just pure luck if you don't buff your crit chance. Especially now that crits also always hit high.

Post by Guest » November 7th, 2014, 10:11 pm

talk more about darkness

Beast_mast0r
Pet Score:3175
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Beast_mast0r » November 8th, 2014, 5:28 am

Don't worry people, resilience will fix it!!

Skavenged

Post by Skavenged » November 8th, 2014, 8:52 am

Would this be a good time to mention that Unholy Ascension is still broken too? You still get a resurrection round if you use it on the turn your pet dies...

I was never on the 100% hit either, and I tend to agree with Vek about crits. Variable hits already add enough luck to the game. Crits just amplify that luck factor

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » November 10th, 2014, 4:26 am

Skavenged wrote:Would this be a good time to mention that Unholy Ascension is still broken too? You still get a resurrection round if you use it on the turn your pet dies...
I have also noticed this. And yesterday while facing a Lich that I killed with a Sticky Grenade got two undead turns, like the sticky grenade kill didn't count on the actual turn it hit, kind of like the minefield undead racial bug.

And an even more curious thing. I ran a Sky-Bo and came up against a team with a Xu-Fu. I had used Decoy against another pet and that pet destroyed the Decoy. I switched out Sky-Bo to avoid strong attacks. My opponent switched in Xu-Fu. And now when I switched back to Sky-Bo and Xu-Fu attacked the attack got BLOCKED even though there was no decoy.

And in the next battle I ran into same Xu-Fu and it attacked my Sky-Bo and got BLOCKED and I had not even used Decoy in this fight yet.... wth.

Might have been Vengeance? When Xu-Fu has previously taken no damage?

Skavenged

Post by Skavenged » November 10th, 2014, 9:24 am

I have been running Sky-Bo as well, and have run into a different problem. Faced Mr Bigglesworth several times, and if I use decoy on the same round that he uses his wall, his attacks eliminate my decoys, but do not count as attacks against the wall. Maybe its just me, but I'm thinking both of our attacks should go against the wall and THEN he has to eliminate the decoys. Unfortunately not though

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » November 10th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Skavenged wrote:I have been running Sky-Bo as well, and have run into a different problem. Faced Mr Bigglesworth several times, and if I use decoy on the same round that he uses his wall, his attacks eliminate my decoys, but do not count as attacks against the wall. Maybe its just me, but I'm thinking both of our attacks should go against the wall and THEN he has to eliminate the decoys. Unfortunately not though
Happened to me too. Seems like a strange interaction between decoy and barrier.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » November 10th, 2014, 4:50 pm

That seems to be an Order of Operations thing if you will. I've noticed that if your opponent is dodging while a barrier is up they will dodge your attack and not consume a charge on the barrier so it seems like Target specific things are checked first before the general things.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » November 13th, 2014, 4:39 pm

I wonder if stats preferences have changed with the no-miss patch. I have been facing a lot of speedier pets than I usually run into. Also wonder if H-breed pets will become more popular since low hits will make you last even longer.