too many duplicates

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Jclement30
Pet Score:1785
Realm:Gilneas-us
too many duplicates

Post by Jclement30 » November 5th, 2014, 4:28 am

So - is there an addon or something that can tell me which of my more than 300 duplicates to release? And is there an easier way to do it other than clicking, selecting release, then confirming the release of each individual pet?

http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/Jclement30/

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Re: too many duplicates

Post by Nagini » November 5th, 2014, 7:41 am

wow, you weren't kidding when you said you had a lot of duplicates.
Unfortunately, there is no way to release more then one pet at one, so you will have to release any wild duplicates one by one. However, the majority of the pets you have duplicates of seem to be cageable pets, so with empty bags you should be able to cage a bunch of them instead of releasing them, and possibly sell them on. As far as I know, there is no addon for this either, as most people will not have more then two duplicates of a given pet.

When looking at which pet to keep, though, you most likely will have to look at their breeds, as there is often no other distinction between them. There should be a petaddon displaying breeds, or you could look at your collection on warcraftpets. Some of your duplicates only come in one breed, so it does not matter which one you keep. For others, such as for example your brown rabbit, you have multiple breeds. Warcraftpets has a few great posts on which breeds are best. As a quick rule, B/B isn't what you want. Incase of the rabbit, you have S/B, B/B and S/S rabbits. S/S would be the best choice to keep here. Which of the three is best is different per type of pet, but removing all the B/B and same breed duplicates first should probebly get you quite far already.
Last edited by Nagini on November 6th, 2014, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jclement30

Post by Jclement30 » November 5th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Thank you for the reply. I suspected the answer wold be "individually".

Once, it was a source of pride that I was able to collect these pets on a myriad of toons. But when the Pet Journal went account-wide, I ended up with all these dupes. It is this whole pet "pruning" process I found off-putting from the battle pet part of the game - and why I never really pursued it. It is going to take hours to figure out what to release and what to cage. I never find the time to just sit down and start going through them. It is this pruning process I am having trouble convincing myself is "fun".

For example, all of my toons had the 'alliance balloon'. I trimmed those down to 3. I've probably previously released over 100 duplicates - then got bored, and just left them alone.

So, I'm heading over to wowhead to dig up some of those guides.

Jclement30

Post by Jclement30 » November 5th, 2014, 5:43 pm

Okay - I 'caged' a lot of these. Filled up more than 3 guild bank tabs. (some of these seem to be valuable - like the duplicate magical crawdads).

I was right - that took hours to do. I did leave some duplicates, like the 'Miniwings' and the 'Panther Cubs' which could not be caged. Didn't want to release them outright - but it could come to that later on.

The remaining duplicates for each unique pet should be different breeds. I did remove B/B wherever I found it.

So - what's left to do? Is there any more pruning needed?

Druzy
Pet Score:4598
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by Druzy » November 6th, 2014, 8:06 am

Wait a day and update your collection again, it goes off battle.net updates so is not available in real time.

When you view your collection it is presented in alphabetical (by pet type, not your personal naming) order. Warcraftpets puts a little dimmer screen on duplicates so you can see at a glance which are duplicated. If you'd rather have a simple list you can use the pull down menu in the Wanted section. (filter wanted, it's a little link by the navigation page numbers above the pets)

I assume your use of B/B means you found the addon of PetBreed ID from curse.com. I also find that Auctioneer is useful for selling prices. If you are patient, put up one of each duplicate pet until sold or you risk damage to the market.

You can also trade cageable pets for ones you don't have. Of course, some strategies call for duplicates of a pet to be used but there aren't many that do (wowhead, celestial tournament guide).