Leveling advice for a noob

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Hugginn
Pet Score:246
Realm:Shu'halo-us
Leveling advice for a noob

Post by Hugginn » November 2nd, 2014, 11:06 pm

Hello
I only recently started leveling pets and I started out without reading all the guides so I am sure I made lots of mistakes like trying to level the wrong pets

I ended up getting l Lil' Bling, Widget and the Lesser Voidcaller and the Anubisath Idol and I started to make better progress. I captured some pets that were 22 or 23. I decided to level the voidcaller and he is almost 25 now

Most of the guides seem to assume I already have several pets that are 25 and that mention using pets I don't have yet. I am not sure what pets I be leveling what order nor what pets do I still need to get. I am not sure how long it should take to get my pets to level 25

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Leveling advice for a noob

Post by Jerebear » November 3rd, 2014, 12:10 am

The 5.3 guide assumes you have a levelled Anubisath Idol and an Emerald Proto-Whelp. Using those, you can level other pets (like the ones you need for the 5.4 guide). Once you have all the pets levelled for the 5.4 guide, you can pick a Celestial Tournament Guide and level those pets.

Basically start small and work your way up.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » November 3rd, 2014, 10:47 am

Another thing you can do, just for general leveling and not with the tamers is go for a team that's really good at self-sustainability. You have the Feline Familiar, one of THE best pets for self-sustained leveling of other pets. Get that one to 25 ASAP and then you can use it to fight any flying or critters teams in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms or the Valley of the Four Winds. Use Onyx Bite as your main attack, keep Stoneskin up at all times, and use devour when the enemy is almost dead. You can pretty much battle non-stop with that 1 pet.

Keep in mind, your carry pet needs to be able to take 1 hit if you want to start it in the battle, so it needs a couple hundred health (level 5 or 6 is usually enough IIRC). What I do is I get a pet with a 100% stun move (like most bears) and to level up from 1 I start with the bear (fighting non-critters, this is critical!) and open with Bash, swap in the level 1, then immediately swap in the Feline Familiar to finish off the enemy team.

Since you are just starting out, I'd recommend levelling your Feline Familiar and Cheetah Cub (nice S/S so his Devour will go off first most of the time). Get yourself a bear at some point when you are ready to level other pets, and in the meantime take a look at the 5.4 guide for a list of pets you may want to collect to get you ready for the Pandaria Tamers, and also the posts on the Celestial Tournament for those pets, too.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » November 3rd, 2014, 12:16 pm

The first team of pets takes the longest. Once you get some 25's you can use them to level up other ones quickly, especially using the trainers. The idol is definitely a good option.

Zimmy910
Pet Score:2066
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Zimmy910 » November 3rd, 2014, 1:43 pm

The first few 25s are indeed a bit of a grind. Once you're able to beat a few grandmasters, like those in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms, and later on Outlands and Northrend, things start to speed up. Once you have a nice 'leveling' team it's becomes quite easy to level a pet up to 25. Still a bit of work though ;).
Morpheus, Zulbob, Zennadar and others on [EU]Aggramar
Pet Battles on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/zimmy910