How to hunt?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
123hai
Pet Score:1135
Realm:Antonidas-eu
How to hunt?

Post by 123hai » November 2nd, 2014, 12:03 pm

Hello everyone.

I just really started collecting pets and getting into pet battles, so im not quite sure how to properly colletct them.
I cant really find a guide to this, maybe im blind, in that case, please excuse me.

What i want to know is, is it better running around in circles for hours to get: 1. a rare version of a certain pet and 2. the right breed for it, or just try a few times and just take one with the right breed to upgrade it later.
Im asking this because im trying to find the Wild Serpent Hatchlings as rare ones, but I so far only managed to find 1/3 in rare in a few days now.

I know this is a specific case, but I'd like to know a general strategy to collecting. I know some pets like the Minifernal and the Unborn Valkyr are so rare that you would just upgrade them, but what about the rest? How rare are upgrade stones in general?

Thanks in advance

Yazhi
MVP
Pet Score:4810
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Re: How to hunt?

Post by Yazhi » November 2nd, 2014, 12:26 pm

For me it depends on what your long term goal is.

I've always been a collector that just loves to have the pet, back from storing the cages in your back pack :P So for me I am more than happy to fly around looking for one of everything capturing them despite the quality and getting happy seeing a few rares along the way, and then going to upgrade them later, purely because I'm more orientated about the number and not the quality/level (Currently on 609 and hoping to get lucky with Std the Squid this week!).

So just think what is your goal and work from there, either way it's a pretty long journey for some parts but it's nice when you finally get there, or even start seeing progress being made :)

Dolz
Pet Score:6070
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Dolz » November 2nd, 2014, 1:00 pm

Azaelia pretty much states the way to go.

I my case I first collected the wild pets. During that hunting I used the battles to level the pets I already had. Later I started upgrading them to rare, either by Flawless Battle stones or by hunting for rates. Save your FBS for hard to find pets and hunt for rare wilds on easy to find pets.

When collecting wild pets I have two recommendations.

1) Get a Terrible Turnip, it's Weakening Blow is a must to keep from accidentally killing that pet you've been desperate to capture.

2) Concentrate on leveling a rare in each family to 25 to make captures easier.

Good hunting.

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » November 2nd, 2014, 1:33 pm

I'm no pro, but if I recall correctly, I collected all wild pets so that I tried to hunt for a rare or at least uncommon in each zone. Especially if there were only 1-2 breeds of each pet, though I wasn't initially aware of breeds at all. If the pet wasn't spawning fast, I didn't bother farming them for hours just to get a rare. Sometimes if the pet had max 3 breeds I would just try to get one of each so that if there later was a need, I could potentially upgrade the pet.

On one hand, it's nice that the pet list isn't full of grey/white pets (I do have plenty of those too), but on the other hand if the pet in question has multiple breeds and you don't currently know a situation where you would need that pet, then it might be better to hunt for a rare or a specific breed once you know what you'll need. But that's a different point of view than the pov of someone who wants to create their own tactics and teams :)

Edit. Once I learned about breeds, I tried to check wowhead/warcraftpet comments about which breed might be useful, and then I tried to get those breeds just in case I would need them too one day.