An Awfully Big Adventure

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12649
Realm:Stormrage-us
Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Chibimage » October 31st, 2014, 8:57 am

You forgot to mention which fight you're talking about Jere!?

Also, only 1% of the wow pop has the CT reward pets. I certainly accept them as being awesome, I love all mine, but I would rather use a bit more easily achievable pets.

I'm pretty irritated that as of right now, Lil' XT is the only pet that can handle Christoph Feasel for a 2-pet strategy, because he is a store pet. (3 pet he is easy)

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » October 31st, 2014, 10:37 am

Chibimage wrote:You forgot to mention which fight you're talking about Jere!?
Sorry, Ion Goldbloom. I was attempting to address the tamer mentioned the post I quoted as not being very solid. I apologize.
Chibimage wrote: Also, only 1% of the wow pop has the CT reward pets. I certainly accept them as being awesome, I love all mine, but I would rather use a bit more easily achievable pets.
I would be curious what the percentage it is vs people who have completed the CT. I believe target audience for 2 petting them and doing this achievement really is someone who has completed it (even though technically you don't need to since it is just the undercard tamers). Don't get me wrong, I think more easily attained pets are a great idea, but I was just saying given how this achievement seems to be balanced, it shouldn't exclude CT reward pets.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Flohsakk
Pet Score:13312
Realm:Blackhand-eu

Post by Flohsakk » October 31st, 2014, 10:18 pm

Chibimage wrote:I'm pretty irritated that as of right now, Lil' XT is the only pet that can handle Christoph Feasel for a 2-pet strategy, because he is a store pet. (3 pet he is easy)
I'm also irritated.I've never used (or thought of using) Lil' XT vs. CvF, but I carried the Elekk with several teams and other people did it too... maybe Lil' XT is the only pet you can handle CvF with.

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » November 1st, 2014, 4:03 am

Jerebear wrote:
Topaz wrote: there is a step-by-step guide I've written in wowhead about 2 months ago when the achievement was changed to trainers instead of the celestial beast. been refining it since the pre-patch changes, so beside dr. ion everything is completely bullet proof (cant post link)
If you aren't opposed to using CT reward pets (I don't think you should be...after all we are two petting CT tamer battles here...so some level of experience is expected):

Xu-fu murders the first pet in two rounds (prowl + moonfire). Then you just spirit claws your way through the 2nd pet. I usually kill it and do one hit on the direhorn before xu-fu dies. I clean up with a robo chick (batter, overtune, windup). You just need to make sure overtune doesn't fall off if the direhorn can do the stunning charge to you and has the speed buff up.

It isn't a 100% all the time strat, but it is very consistent.
yesterday I finally had some time and did the 3rd trio of CT with the new 100% hit against ion with a mini mindslayer and chi-chi (tried xu-fu but only got 2/5 victories), with mana surge hitting 100% of the time and knowing the exact dmg pets are dealing this fight became a piece of cake and managed to 2 man him for 5 straight wins without either pet dying.

tomorrow DM will come and i bet will get to see strategies for Christoph Feasel

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » November 1st, 2014, 8:24 am

Floshakk, were you the one who proposed Pocket Reaver for 2-pet Christoph Feasel?

That is literally the *only* other 2 pet strat for him that I've heard that is even remotely feasible. And it didn't work for me, I tried it over and over (the guy came to my blog and posted his idea) and it just never worked, even once. And honestly, just getting lucky and working once is ALL YOU NEED here -- because these are fights we're only going to have to do once for the achievement.

Lil' XT however, works every time you try it, no luck is needed.

I haven't seen any other successful 2-pet strat for Christoph yet. 3 pet is very easy though. I find that kind of awesome!

Flohsakk

Post by Flohsakk » November 1st, 2014, 12:02 pm

Chibimage wrote:Floshakk, were you the one who proposed Pocket Reaver for 2-pet Christoph Feasel?
No.

I did it with Netherspawn + Lil' Bling and Lifelike Mechanical Frostboar + Darkmoon Tonk before the nerf. Then I switched to Infected Squirrel + Cogblade Raptor incl. the Plushie taking some damage when Mr. Pointy is shielded (maybe a Feign Death pet can replace the Plushie for people who want to test it on live servers this DMF).

http://youtu.be/4hm2qf-dTtQ

Liopleurodon's carry: http://youtu.be/KBBGPQi1nM4

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » November 1st, 2014, 2:21 pm

There wasn't a nerf, it was just a settling in Syd's moveset. Instead of being random, he simply did Whirlpool and Bubble every single time so it was predictable. That was the only change :)

Twitter is really useful for talking to the Devs about that stuff!

Thank god we don't have to do these really annoying and down to the *very* last lucky turn every day and only once. Hoping for 3 hits instead of just 2 so you don' t have to start over, well, that is not the kind of stuff I enjoy!

Flohsakk

Post by Flohsakk » November 1st, 2014, 6:55 pm

Chibimage wrote:There wasn't a nerf, it was just a settling in Syd's moveset. Instead of being random, he simply did Whirlpool and Bubble every single time so it was predictable. That was the only change :)
Yes, more scripted, more predictable now, easier to handle Syd.
No, not only Syd was changed. Mr. Pointy's Trihorn Charge was replaced by Horn Gore.

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » November 2nd, 2014, 4:43 am

I wasnt on the beta so i cant compare the new fight to the old, but it seemed pretty simple,
for syd I used a MPD (voidcaller also worked but with no backline damage) landing 2 thunderbolts, for the other 2 used chi-chi and it was very simple and easy (lost once won twice. couldnt try a 4th time cause I did a crit and killed the cow) just evoid the feed turn (will always come after darkmoon curse) and youre good to go. ill try other pets tomorrow to see if other combos work as well

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » November 2nd, 2014, 9:53 am

Another pretty good 2 pet strat for Christopher:
Bronze Whelp + Iron Starlette

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94842#p94842

I used different breeds (P/P whelp and H/H starlette) but had no trouble. I think I actually had one less powerball on the 2nd enemy. I might go back and see about an s/s whelp instead since the first pet caps on tail sweep and the 2nd pet is too fast vs the p/p to use early advantage effectively.

Still very solid and is easier with a plushie carry due to not losing the 1 turn to the swap.

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » November 2nd, 2014, 8:16 pm

Thanks Jerebear! I love your strats, very solid. You're @jere on Twitter, right?!

I will try that tomorrow. I have both Bronze Whelplings but only P/P and H/P Starlette, and only my P/P is leveled.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » November 2nd, 2014, 9:39 pm

Chibimage wrote:Thanks Jerebear! I love your strats, very solid. You're @jere on Twitter, right?!

I will try that tomorrow. I have both Bronze Whelplings but only P/P and H/P Starlette, and only my P/P is leveled.
Yep, I typically go by jere, but it was taken here and a few other places. I stole the strat from the OP in the post I linked, but it was pretty solid. It looks close, but seems to always work out (haven't had any unlucky crits to test against yet).

Someone else tried the S/S Bronze Whelp and it was hitting too low to cap on Syd, so P/P might be the optimal. Really though, the tail sweep + lift-oft was the key to Syd. The reason the bronze whelp was chosen was for a hit or two on the direhorn (thinking early advantage would be good...but if he shields early it is wasted), but I'm not sure if it is that much better than using a Wild Jade or Thundering hatchling instead and hitting it with Lightning storm (haven't tried this...just considering).

With the Starlette I did:
vs Direhorn: Windup, powerball, Windup
vs Cow: Windup, Supercharge, Windup

It did come down to the last bit of hp for the starlette on the few attempts I did (cancelled out at the end), but each one was a "win" (I was faster with plenty of damage to kill the cow)

Wolfson
Pet Score:9340
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Wolfson » November 3rd, 2014, 7:25 am

Chibimage wrote:I'm pretty irritated that as of right now, Lil' XT is the only pet that can handle Christoph Feasel for a 2-pet strategy, because he is a store pet. (3 pet he is easy)
Ok, someone did mention my thread with the Bronze Whelpling/Iron Starlette strat. (thanks, btw)

Regarding breed for the whelpling, after seeing people's comments, I think H/S is actually optimal. You want to be slower for Syd, for bigger Tail Sweep hits, but for Mr. Pointy, you need to be faster to get Early Advantage in before he can shield. H/S fits nicely in that middle ground. It's true this strat doesn't have a lot of leeway; it basically requires every turn you can get, and any significant enemy crit is likely to cause a loss, but I think it does give a pretty solid means of handling Cristoph with pets that are easily obtainable (certainly right now they are).

Jere, that's a nice idea to use a serpent hatchling in place of the Bronze Whelpling. I was looking through most of my dragonkin lineup trying to figure out what had the best moveset, but somehow I missed those guys. I'm going to try that tomorrow and see how it looks.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » November 3rd, 2014, 8:11 am

I ran a few different permutations this morning. I don't have an H/S Bronze (just a P/P and S/S). Thoughts

S/S Bronze Whelp: Takes longer on Syd, but gets the full Early Advantage Damage against the direhorn (500+)

H/S Bronze Whelp: From Wolfson's description sounds like the ideal breed, but couldn't test. Most people buying specific breeds aren't likely to get it, but some peeps will have it.

P/P Bronze Whelp and other Breeds: At this point, use any dragonkin with tail sweet and lift-off. Use highest damage ability on the direhorn (should be around 300ish damage after trihorn shield). I also tested vs a Thundering Serpent Hatchling and Wild Jade Hatchling and they both performed well. I used call lightning on the direhorn. It made the damage a bit tighter on the starlette though.

Emerald Proto-whelp: Has Proto-Strike (lift-off clone) and Breath. Breath has a chance to hit low, so may take 4 damaging rounds vs 3. I always hit high on my tests. Not as good as a tail sweep + liftoff dragon due to low range of breath (on the direhorn specifically).

Take home so far: If you have an S/S or H/S Bronze Whelp, they take longer on Syd but are safer on the direhorn. If you don't have then, any Tail sweep + liftoff drake will do.

It seems like the basic job of the dragonkin is to quickly kill Syd and get a single hit on the direhorn. Any other pets that can do it better?

On the starlette: I tried with P/P Starlette this morning on all the attempts. Still works but definitely very close to death early (the cow's first attach hits for 100+ damage and leaves the starlette with sub 100 health). A breed with slightly more health is safer. H/H would be safest and does enough damage to kill the direhorn and cow in the same number of turns as the P/P. I didn't try a P/S yet.

Wolfson

Post by Wolfson » November 3rd, 2014, 8:32 am

Ya, that's what I figured on the whelpling. P/P hits harder on Syd but can't get Early Advantage in on Mr. Pointy before he shields. S/S can do the full Early Advantage but may come up short on Syd. H/S can do the best of both, while also adding a bit of extra hp over either one, which may (no actual data either way) help give one extra turn. Have you tried doing that serpent hatchling idea you mentioned before for Lightning Storm on Mr. Pointy? I'll try it out tomorrow also. The two possible issues with it are that all the types that have Call Lightning (Thundering, Jade, and Golden) are too slow to outspeed Mr. Pointy, plus the extra damage procs won't get through Mr. Pointy's shield. There's still the 25% boost to mechanical damage to buff the Starlette, but the damage procs on enemy attacks could kill the starlette off a turn early. The other thought I'd had was something with Life Exchange to use on Mr. Pointy, but the only 3 dragonkin that have that all have Life Exchange and their avoidance move in the same slot.

Glad you tested whether and H/H starlette had enough damage to kill the two beasts in the same number of turns as the others. I figured more health was safer, but I didn't want to say H/H was best until I knew it wouldn't need an extra turn to kill everything.

Cuphat
Pet Score:13160
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Cuphat » November 3rd, 2014, 11:14 am

S/S Bronze Whelpling and P/P Iron Starlette got the job done for me today, but it was a bit of a close shave. I'm going to use a Thundering Serpent Hatchling and an H/H Iron Starlette tomorrow and see how that goes.
Poofah wrote:Ideally you would want to get your Plushie on day 7 at the latest, because the main limitation on the achievement is the Celestial Tourney weekly reset. I imagine most pet battlers will feel the same, so the demand for Plushies on day 5/6/7 is going to be insane. So I would be prepared either to pay a massive chunk of gold, or make plans to craft your own. If you can wait an extra week to finish up the achieve, the difference in cost is likely to be pretty big.
At least on American servers, you'll need it on day 5 (excluding the 3-hour "day" before dailies reset on Nov. 13) since the expansion launches on Thursday and the tournament resets on Tuesday with everything else. So, if you don't plan on getting tailoring started the first day, you should just relax and not worry about it too much because you'll miss the reset that week anyway.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » November 3rd, 2014, 7:23 pm

Wolfson wrote:Glad you tested whether and H/H starlette had enough damage to kill the two beasts in the same number of turns as the others. I figured more health was safer, but I didn't want to say H/H was best until I knew it wouldn't need an extra turn to kill everything.
One thing to keep in your thoughts: Even though I was practicing for Awfully Big Adventure, I still did it carry pet style (when the dragon died, I selected my carry pet, and then immediately swapped it out to the starlette), which eats up 1 round of trihorn shield. That + the damage done by the dragon right before it died are probably what help the H/H do enough damage. Still, I should probably try with the H/H more to make sure there aren't any variances in damage to look out for.

Wolfson

Post by Wolfson » November 3rd, 2014, 8:04 pm

My goal from the beginning was to come up with a carry-pet-safe strat, so all my tests are for that. I tried out my Jade and Thundering Serpent Hatchlings in the first slot today, and it doesn't look like it works as well. Out of 4 tries, on 3 of them the extra damage procs from Call Lightning were enough to let the two beast pets kill my Starlette one turn early, while not making any difference in how long I needed to kill them. On the 4th, the Starlette survived Otto's first attack with 14 hp (on the other 3, that attack had pushed me into my mechanical racial rez). A Starlette breed with more heath than mine might have been able to do it (I'm going to level one tonight and find out), but it looks to me like Call Lightning hurts more than it helps, and the Bronze Whelpling does a slightly better job.
Last edited by Wolfson on November 4th, 2014, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » November 3rd, 2014, 10:44 pm

yeah, I agree.

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » November 4th, 2014, 5:08 pm

You know, once we get a good stable of 25 WoD pets we'll see new stuff happening. I had to use the Mechanical Scorpid to hammer down Cymre for 2 pets. (He works like a charm!!) So you never know :)

and don't get me wrong, I'm totally in FULL understanding of the difficulty of needing a Lil XT for the 2 pet strategy (it's very solid, but yeah.. store bought)

I think it's great everyone is trying to get different strats! There is room for everyone here, we're all about the love! :D