600 Pets, Is It Even Possible for Me?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us
600 Pets, Is It Even Possible for Me?

Post by Kel » October 29th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Hey gang, I need some expert opinion here. I'm currently sitting at 495 unique pets. I don't have a lot of in-game ones left, just a couple drops and some raid pets as well as a small amount of tradeskill pets. If I bought them all off the AH this can't be more than 25 pets. Am I right in my math that WoD only brings 25 wild pets? I can't afford TCG pets or anything like that, so those simply are not an option. Can I even get there? Or is it just something that won't happen for me?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Zalak
Pet Score:2716
Realm:Twisting Nether-us

Re: 600 Pets, Is It Even Possible for Me?

Post by Zalak » October 29th, 2014, 10:08 pm

I thought there was something like 90 new pets all together coming in the x-pac

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » October 29th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Dont forget theres a whole as yet unopened area in the new xpac that will no doubt bring more new pets, and no doubt a raiding with leashes 3 might become available later in xpac, not to mention blizz shop new releases, and later patches adding more new pets, i would say 600 is a likely target long before WoDs replacemnt is on the horizon :D

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » October 29th, 2014, 10:36 pm

I know you don't like the idea of raising cash on another server just to buy pets, but that really is a very effective way of increasing your collection. You've completely ruled out TCG pets, which you wouldn't have to, and many of the others you don't have yet will be much cheaper on busy servers.

Saying that though, if you really don't want to do the trader-alt thing, I think even without TCGs, store pets or the more expensive ones from the AH you should be able to hit 600 fairly easily.

:)

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » October 29th, 2014, 10:52 pm

If you keep running old dungeons for pets you will make good money doing so making buying tcg pets easy.
At least on my server most are under 20k.
If need be make an alt on a high population server where they are even cheaper and buy them.
Make the alt a double farming profession alt and sell everything you farm while leveling.
Easy to make money that way

P.s.
If you friend me I have lots of extra pets I could give you a few you need.
Digem#1671
Last edited by Digem on October 30th, 2014, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aalea
Top Rater

Post by Aalea » October 29th, 2014, 11:07 pm

There are a lot of TCG pets now on the AH, if you can afford them then Id say grab them, plus the two cats from Halloween and the Iron Starlette. If you grab those and the outstanding ones you need I would think you would be well on your way to the 600 when WoD comes out.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » October 29th, 2014, 11:42 pm

I got most of my TCG pets off the AH. I have an alt on Illidan that does nothing but sell my extra pets and buy ones that I don't have from the AH.

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » October 29th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Zalak wrote:I thought there was something like 90 new pets all together coming in the x-pac
At this time there are only 25 wild pets. There are others from drops, achievements, professions, etc. But as for wilds upon release, 25 is the current number.
@TamerWakamaru

Kel

Post by Kel » October 30th, 2014, 5:02 am

Maizing wrote:I got most of my TCG pets off the AH. I have an alt on Illidan that does nothing but sell my extra pets and buy ones that I don't have from the AH.
Maybe I better look into this. Is Illidan the preferred pet trading post? Are the prices better there?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Dirkie
Pet Score:5479
BattleTag®:dirk#1435
Realm:Frostwolf-us

Post by Dirkie » October 30th, 2014, 7:56 am

I would check the AH on various other servers if the prices are high on your own. The TCG pets have crashed in price and are all basically under 20k now. That may take some time to get the cash flowing on another server but you can sell bandages etc which are account bound to get your starting capital to list your first few pets. Of course if high priced pets are cheap then usually they are all cheap which makes it more difficult to make money on the AH. Just scan for any low priced items or bids and work up the capital. It is possible. The other thing to do is once you get some rare pets advertise here for people to trade with and get some others. Many people will trade store pets which cost RL $ for a rare pet they need. It can be done.

I noticed too you are still missing some Darkmoon pets, some more crafted ones and some quest related ones. Check out this website and look at one pet at a time and figure out how to get it and go looking. If you friend me online I'll try to give you a pet you're missing. Battlenet dirk#1435

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » October 30th, 2014, 1:11 pm

Kel add me to btag I might have a few to help you out. ravnhawk#1272

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » October 30th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Illidan and Stormrage have really cheap pets most of the time. If not wait they always get cheaper there when so many post at the same time. All the high end TCG pet s are now showing up for 10 to 12k gold - Yeah I know they are duped. Although Blizz insisted there is no such thing.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » October 30th, 2014, 6:18 pm

600 pets before WoD comes out is really hard. The only way to accomplish that is to have most of the Blizcon/CE pets which is out of the reach of most people. 600 pets after WoD comes out and adds ~90 more pets total with a mix of wild pets and various other dropped/tradeskill/whatever pets shouldn't be hard.

I'm currently at 590 and have spent very little RL cash on pets. I've picked up almost all the Pet Store pets, all the TCG pets and even a couple of the CE pets by trading. I've also got 3 of 4 RaF pets from trading. Just because you can't or don't want to spend RL $ on Pet store pets or buying the TCG cards on Ebay or even doing the RaF for the pets doesn't mean they aren't obtainable.

Roisen
Top Rater
Pet Score:8772
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Roisen » October 30th, 2014, 6:22 pm

While some of the pets you are missing are very hard to get you currently have 69 pets that you can obtain in game still! A few of which are even very easy to get! [pet]Wander's Festival Hatchling[/pet] and [pet]Lashtail Hatchling[/pet] are the two that stand out to me that you could have with hardly any effort this weekend! Plus it is Darkmoon Faire this weekend as well! So while you may not hit 600 pets pre WoD you can definitely get it!

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » October 31st, 2014, 12:13 am

Talalara wrote:Please forgive my skepticism at all this you will get your 600 pets thing.

Please show the rest of us mortals how to get them instead of saying "You can, You Will, you'll see!"
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought the original question was more "Can I Get 600 Pets?" and not "Can I Get Them Before WoD?" With the understanding of 25 -ish non TCG/CE pets and 25 -ish WoD wild pets, the question of 600 total pets post launch is a very good question. I think OP has gotten some good advice re money making and pet purchases. I don't think anyone is saying it's both possible and easy for a 600+ pet collection pre-WoD.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

Smellyfeet
Top Rater
Pet Score:3673
BattleTag®:Smelly#1151
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Smellyfeet » October 31st, 2014, 2:20 am

Talalara wrote:Please forgive my skepticism at all this you will get your 600 pets thing.

Please show the rest of us mortals how to get them instead of saying "You can, You Will, you'll see!"

I don't see it and I am a bigger cheerleader about pets both in & out of game.
There is some amazing advice on how to collect pets throughout this website which has some of the most dedicated collectors of any virtual game that I have encountered.
"There is nothing wrong with encouraging people to continue with pet collecting. Just don't tell them it is possible to get 600 before WoD. Because of the general anti-social trend in game I venture into anything pets by myself. I can't give pets away in the hopes of helping people get started. They assume I am either a stalker or trying to scam them. So I try & fish when I can and hope I get the last 2 "tiny" carps. Forget the magical crawdad & crawling claw. There are a total of 29 pets I have left to get in game which depend on the mercy of the "God of Random Lucky Pet Drop." This does not include TCG pets or the special "For Asia" pets or even those which are only available when you go to BlizzCon. I have given up trying to make gold on my server or others. Not to mention the lunacy of spending the crazy amounts of real money to get some pets. I just keep playing because I pay too much & been in this game too long to do just nothing.
Unless a person is willing to spend a lot of IRL money and a lot of ingame currency it is very difficult to obtain 600 pets prior to WoD. With that being said, WoD will include over 90 new pets. I myself am sitting at 570+ pets, so obtaining the 600 pet achievement will not be an issue once WoD is in full swing. The Crawling Claw just takes some time doing arch in MOP to trade the currency to the Tol'Vir. It took me 300+ solves to get the pet, but it can be eventually done. The magical Crawdad is so much easier than the Crawling Claw. It would seem like the words and phrases you are using are constructing a more negative "I'm giving up before trying" mentality versus a "let's keep plucking at it" attitude. It also seems like you are looking down upon the people who have the means and who choose to spend their disposable income how they wish.
Please don't get me started on the still present "You can't raid unless you have the right item level, but then since you don't know the fights (despite your item level) you can't raid" issues still in game.
Not sure what that statement has to do with pet collecting, but ok.
Thank goodness for the genius who came up with dailys.
Again, are you being negative here or serious? Do you remember when gold was so very difficult to come by? or even chanting mats? The original dailies helped with both and I for one like doing dailies to help ease the stress of IRL.
With the coming expansions (beyond WoD) 600 will soon not be a big number. Until they do & while the game is still pre-WoD let's not give pet collectors false hope. Make them aware you need to accumulate large amounts of gold & hope you don't get stuck with a "dupe" rare issue/collector pet from the AH.
Blizzard is not giving out false hope AT ALL. There will always be the people that will dedicate IRL recources to make sure that they have every item available to them because they have the means to do that. However, Blizzard did design this achievement around the "casual" pet gamer who spent most of his/her time collecting pets via in game only and not TCG or any other means. You are being all too negative in your desire to have the achievement done prior to the expansion.
And then if you pet collecting geniuses & savants will please share what you are sacrificing to the "God of Random Lucky Pet Drops" for the boon you are receiving I will be glad to make a small donation at your shrine.

Carry On
Tala
[/quote]

I am sure more people would be willing to assist you if you showed less condescension towards the people who have worked very hard to acquire the collections that they did. No, I did not sacrifice ANYTHING except time and dedication to my collection. Perhaps you should do the same instead of being negative.

Dagris
Top Rater
Pet Score:9380
BattleTag®:Dugoth#1259
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Dagris » October 31st, 2014, 11:11 am

I don't see it and I am a bigger cheerleader about pets both in & out of game.

There is nothing wrong with encouraging people to continue with pet collecting. Just don't tell them it is possible to get 600 before WoD. Because of the general anti-social trend in game I venture into anything pets by myself. I can't give pets away in the hopes of helping people get started. They assume I am either a stalker or trying to scam them. So I try & fish when I can and hope I get the last 2 "tiny" carps. Forget the magical crawdad & crawling claw. There are a total of 29 pets I have left to get in game which depend on the mercy of the "God of Random Lucky Pet Drop." This does not include TCG pets or the special "For Asia" pets or even those which are only available when you go to BlizzCon. I have given up trying to make gold on my server or others. Not to mention the lunacy of spending the crazy amounts of real money to get some pets. I just keep playing because I pay too much & been in this game too long to do just nothing.

Please don't get me started on the still present "You can't raid unless you have the right item level, but then since you don't know the fights (despite your item level) you can't raid" issues still in game.

Thank goodness for the genius who came up with dailys.

With the coming expansions (beyond WoD) 600 will soon not be a big number. Until they do & while the game is still pre-WoD let's not give pet collectors false hope. Make them aware you need to accumulate large amounts of gold & hope you don't get stuck with a "dupe" rare issue/collector pet from the AH.

And then if you pet collecting geniuses & savants will please share what you are sacrificing to the "God of Random Lucky Pet Drops" for the boon you are receiving I will be glad to make a small donation at your shrine.

Carry On
Tala
As someone who has 600+ pets before the expansion (as in right now) it's certainly a possible goal but not necessarily easy to reach. I had initially written off TCG pets and Blizzard store pets due to RL costs until I started actively accumulating gold on Illidan-H for this purpose. I did this before the crash in price on TCG pets, when those pets were all 50-90k in value, and I managed to gather them all in relatively short order with a bit of time and effort.

The big thing about Illidan-H AH pet collecting isn't that you can sell pets for more there, generally you can't, but the volume through that AH for pets is huge and any pet you may want is generally available at any time, and at a competitive price. The other thing to keep in mind is that, to make gold on Illidan-H, you -don't- need to collect rare or hard to find pets for sale. There is a market, or was when I was doing it, for pet leveling, and pet stoning of even easy to find pets. That is in fact where I turned around most of my gold there. At the time I was getting approximately 500g for stoning a common/uncommon pet up to rare with a stone I'd obtained from battles/etc (I would stone the pet types I had available). I would also get another 1000g-2000g for leveling a pet from 1 to 25, depending on how common the pet was in the AH at the time. Given that with the Pandaria trainers you could level 3-4 pets a day fairly easily ones you had the right teams setup this added up pretty quickly to where I was able to buy -all- of the TCG pets within a couple months, just through doing dailies and selling pets on Illidan. The Collector's edition/Blizzcon pets are a trickier prospect but are still out there and available to some degree, generally only in trade for the rarer pets though (the pet trading forum used to be good for this, not sure now with new restrictions) which actually paired alright with getting TCG pets/mounts of Illidan-H.

Not saying it's easy, or quick, but with regular work and effort it can be done. With the expansion you won't likely even need to consider the collector/etc pets to reach that 600 limit if you focus on getting the ones available through trade in the AH and through working on achievements.

Kel

Post by Kel » October 31st, 2014, 11:33 am

Wow, I was out of state and missed a few days of this thread.

A couple things:
1) I didn't say "get to 600 BEFORE WoD". I know that ain't happening. I'll need WoD to get there if I can at all. I was just shocked when I noticed only 25 pets (26 if you count the one from the Draenor pet achieve).

2) HUGE props to those who said "add my battle tag, I'll be glad to help". You guys are the reason I keep coming back here! Awesome community!

3) Maybe I should get serious about an Illidan alt. I do have some extras of things like baby crocs and maybe a Crawdad or two. My concern is that those pets will also be so low that it won't really net me much in "the big picture". Know what I mean?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington