An Awfully Big Adventure

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12239
Realm:Stormrage-us
An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Chibimage » October 25th, 2014, 8:37 am

So, very soon now we'll all be embarking on this grand adventure that was so generously put into the game for us -- defeat all the daily Tamers and Celestial Tournament sub-Tamers whilst bringing along our adorable and sweet Elekk Plushie for the ride! 44 Tamers -- that's a hefty achievement! So we're rewarded with the adorable and sweet Trunks. Yay for us Pet Battlers! :)

I've made a dedicated page for all the strats here: [url=http://murlocharbor.com/an-awfully-big-adventure-elekk-plushie-achievement/]Murloc Harbor's An Awfully Big Adventure[/url]

I am trying to determine if I should do videos for the Celestial Tournament 2 pet strategies, as some of them are a bit tight. Considering that we only have to do them *once* like this for the achievement I'm fairly certain that people attempting this will be able to see the team Strategy and figure out what to do with it -- however I know also that a lot of people just like to "Set it and forget it" to just get it done.

What do you all think? A bunch of videos? I certainly don't mind making them and it's no trouble at all.

Fadaar
Pet Score:11400

Re: An Awfully Big Adventure

Post by Fadaar » October 25th, 2014, 12:06 pm

So am I the only one who already has Bloodknight Antari checked off in the achievement?

Leaderavia
Pet Score:12060
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Leaderavia » October 25th, 2014, 12:47 pm

personally, i'd prefer just a pet list with move sets and then a numbered list of moves, i.e. what button to push each turn. videos are nice, but they take much more time to watch than just reading a list. i'm sure other people might appreciate videos, so you can do both if you have the time, but i'd appreciate the option of not having to watch a video.

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » October 25th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Leaderavia wrote:personally, i'd prefer just a pet list with move sets and then a numbered list of moves, i.e. what button to push each turn. videos are nice, but they take much more time to watch than just reading a list. i'm sure other people might appreciate videos, so you can do both if you have the time, but i'd appreciate the option of not having to watch a video.

Yeah absolutely -- except I'm thinking about page bloat. Some of the fights are extremely long and not you don't necessarily do repeat moves (though sometimes it's "just use Move X on CD") so I'm just wondering how to organize it. There are about a dozen Tamers that are so easy that it doesn't matter which pets you use -- but some other ones are tough!

I do have the time - I think I'll do both, that way the visually/auditory inclined can watch or listen to the video - while the readers can read the scripted moveset :)

I'm using a Level 1 Wolpertinger right now in place of an Elekk Plushie on Live. I hope this doesn't make a difference, haha :)

I could do the vids on Beta but I enjoy doing it on live with my actual character (and pet names!) too :)

And yeah - I think we *all* have Bloodknight Antari already checked off! haha!!

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » October 25th, 2014, 3:25 pm

Excellent work Chibimage! :)

Kamira
Top Rater
Pet Score:6196
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Kamira » October 25th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Fadaar wrote:So am I the only one who already has Bloodknight Antari checked off in the achievement?
No, me too :)

It's really a great work, thank you so much, that will help alot!

A video or a step by step guide might be abit much - and alot of work - but a skillset next to the pet and maybe a pet order would be above and beyond.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » October 25th, 2014, 8:47 pm

A page with VIDEOGUIDES = AWFULL.
What happend to the times when people could write stuff up and not went the LAZY way....

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » October 26th, 2014, 9:11 am

I assure you in every way possible that making a video is more time intensive than writing something out. Setting a third party program up to get it working to actually film in-game stuff, editing it, uploading it to YouTube, creating the splash picture, writing up the moveset on wowhead (I do this), writing the blog post to go with the Video upload, sending it to Twitter, etc.

Simply writing a blog post is probably the easiest thing of it all!

Also, it's extremely rude to insinuate that I'm being lazy at all - since I am taking the time to go and figure out which 2-pet strategies work so you don't have to. It's kind of the antithesis of lazy, I think.

I'm just paying it forward - I use (and give credit to in the guide) Phraide's set ups from this site so much in Pandaria that I figured I'd do the same for Draenor.

I love the idea of the movesets, I think I can add that without too much bloat. If there is a time-intensive strategy fight, I'll just link to a video & description post.

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » October 27th, 2014, 9:43 am

*hovers mouse over link*

*resists urge to click*

I want to figure it out myself. >.<

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » October 28th, 2014, 7:55 am

hehe Sellys of course you should figure it out yourself if you want!!! :D

This is just for people who don't want to bother - and that's a lot of people!

I've found that at least in Draenor with what we get at the start (the Daily Tamers and the Daily Menagerie battle) that the level of difficulty is lower than in Pandaria and it's a lot more headache free, which is *great* :) I don't think a side mini-game that has zero effect on the "main" part of the game should be so problematic or frustrating for anyone. When it is such, it creates obstacles for people to begin to enjoy it or even try it out. As it stands, the level grind for your first team of 25 is a big enough barrier for most people to really get into pet battles. Once you get a hefty fine stable of 25s, you should be able to enjoy this aspect of the game with a modicum of challenge but generally worry-free.

I also just really love pet battles - I have a Twitch.tv stream and contest I'll be re-opening in the beginning weeks of Warlords and since I was in the beta, I thought why not just pull it all together, make a site, do strats and just have fun!

Dirkie
Pet Score:5479
BattleTag®:dirk#1435
Realm:Frostwolf-us

Post by Dirkie » October 28th, 2014, 8:23 am

My preference is just to have a written description. Which pets and breeds plus maybe a note on key points in the battle to watch for.
On a side point not being in the beta how do we get an Elekk Plushie. Well I mean how hard is it for a tailor to get the pattern and make one? Will they be available day one or are they going to take a week before tailors can even get the pattern? Are these going to be outrageous prices on the AH to even buy? What a HUGE gold maker for Tailors.

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » October 28th, 2014, 9:56 am

Dirkie wrote:My preference is just to have a written description. Which pets and breeds plus maybe a note on key points in the battle to watch for.
On a side point not being in the beta how do we get an Elekk Plushie. Well I mean how hard is it for a tailor to get the pattern and make one? Will they be available day one or are they going to take a week before tailors can even get the pattern? Are these going to be outrageous prices on the AH to even buy? What a HUGE gold maker for Tailors.
there is a step-by-step guide I've written in wowhead about 2 months ago when the achievement was changed to trainers instead of the celestial beast. been refining it since the pre-patch changes, so beside dr. ion everything is completely bullet proof (cant post link)

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » October 28th, 2014, 10:10 am

Dirkie wrote:On a side point not being in the beta how do we get an Elekk Plushie. Well I mean how hard is it for a tailor to get the pattern and make one?
The currency to buy recipes is on a daily cooldown, and Plushie costs 5. So Plushies will appear on day 5 at the earliest. You can start making the currency in the starter zone so the recipe will be easily available on day 5, but it's also competing with several other recipes (30 slot bag, starter epics).

Mats in WoD work a bit differently than before. BoE cloth scraps come from mobs and herbs, and tailors can turn them into BoP cloth, and again this is restricted somewhat by cooldowns. So you can't walk up to a tailor and trade them mats; tailors have to stockpile mats. This is going to exacerbate the usual pattern we see, where crafted items are massively expensive early on, and then taper down to a much lower price.

If you have a tailor alt at 90, it may be worthwhile to send them to Draenor on day 1. You can get the necessary recipes roughly 15 quests into the starter zone (http://www.wowhead.com/quest=34019#comments). Then you could send raw materials from your main to keep up with the daily cooldowns.

Ideally you would want to get your Plushie on day 7 at the latest, because the main limitation on the achievement is the Celestial Tourney weekly reset. I imagine most pet battlers will feel the same, so the demand for Plushies on day 5/6/7 is going to be insane. So I would be prepared either to pay a massive chunk of gold, or make plans to craft your own. If you can wait an extra week to finish up the achieve, the difference in cost is likely to be pretty big.

Plushie link
recipes that are competing with Plushie

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » October 28th, 2014, 10:45 am

since its competing with creeping carpet i think we will all wait for a while to get it.
Beside you forgot the real limiting trainers - the darkmoon trainers, since WoD is coming out at 13/11, DM isle wont open until 7/12, so that's the earliest we can see trunks showing up, and 3 days later on the 10/12 you can fight the 1st set of celestial tournament in case you missed the 1st week.
If you ask me waiting 3 days is worth the hefty amount of money it'll cost to buy the ellek plushie. (Also i assume there will be a lot of borrowing, since the pet itself can be traded between servers and you don't actually have to own it to get trunks, only fight with it)

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » October 28th, 2014, 11:03 am

I'll definitely be bringing my tailor to WoD right away to get started on the dailies. I'll probably try to sell my first one to see if I can get a bunch for it while it's still valuable.

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » October 29th, 2014, 1:49 am

Poofah wrote:The currency to buy recipes is on a daily cooldown, and Plushie costs 5. So Plushies will appear on day 5 at the earliest. You can start making the currency in the starter zone so the recipe will be easily available on day 5, but it's also competing with several other recipes (30 slot bag, starter epics).

Mats in WoD work a bit differently than before. BoE cloth scraps come from mobs and herbs, and tailors can turn them into BoP cloth, and again this is restricted somewhat by cooldowns. So you can't walk up to a tailor and trade them mats; tailors have to stockpile mats. This is going to exacerbate the usual pattern we see, where crafted items are massively expensive early on, and then taper down to a much lower price.

If you have a tailor alt at 90, it may be worthwhile to send them to Draenor on day 1. You can get the necessary recipes roughly 15 quests into the starter zone (http://www.wowhead.com/quest=34019#comments). Then you could send raw materials from your main to keep up with the daily cooldowns.
Getting the Plushie on day 5 is probably hard due to the (crappy if ask me) profession changes in you are running Tailoring on an alt. Like you said, the pattern for plushie can be obtained on day 5 for five Secrets of Draenor Tailoring which need 25x Sumptuous Fur in total. You can create one Secret per day.

The problem however is the Hexweave Cloth (50 needed for the pet):
You can make four Hexweave Cloth per day via Tailoring which requires 20x Sumptuous Fur and 10x Gorgrond Flytrap. One cloth per four hours is generated from Tailoring Emporium work order which costs 5x Sumptuous Fur. So the building gives in total six Hexweave per day. This means 10x Hexweave Cloth every day assuming you have work orders constantly running (actually it's probably 11 per day due to the extra gain from daily CD when your Tailoring gets bumped over 600).

The total material cost for day is 5 + 20 + 6*5 = 55x Sumptuous Fur and 10x Gorgrond Flytrap.

Unless you want blow tons of money to AH upon the launch, your main needs to provide your tailor the Sumptuous Fur needed to make the Hexweave Cloth (don't bother using the Trading Post as garrison resources are vital in the start). The herbs needed can also be a problem unless you RUSH your main to level 96 for the Herb Garden on the first day and even then the RNG might laugh at you and you won't get the needed Flytraps.

All in all, while it's definitely possible to get Plushie on the 5th day of the launch, it does require some extra effort. At worst, you'll need 275x Sumptuous Fur (probably around 250-260 in most cases) and 50x Gorgrond Flytraps to get everything needed for the pet. If your main has the Tailoring instead, getting the needed Hexweave is a bit easier as you can get more Hexweave per spent Sumptuous Fur.
- Taking your candles since 2005

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 29th, 2014, 4:09 am

Ryazan wrote:Unless you want blow tons of money to AH upon the launch, your main needs to provide your tailor the Sumptuous Fur needed to make the Hexweave Cloth
Your alt can get tons of fur from the Barn. Trap certain creatures and start work orders to get an endless supply of fur. (You'll need to build Barn and trap creatures to upgrade the building to level anyway, since it's the only source for the Pygmy Cow (not cageable). :))
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » October 29th, 2014, 5:25 am

Quintessence wrote:
Ryazan wrote:Unless you want blow tons of money to AH upon the launch, your main needs to provide your tailor the Sumptuous Fur needed to make the Hexweave Cloth
Your alt can get tons of fur from the Barn. Trap certain creatures and start work orders to get an endless supply of fur. (You'll need to build Barn and trap creatures to upgrade the building to level anyway, since it's the only source for the Pygmy Cow (not cageable). :))
Correct, but being a medium-sized building, Barn needs garrison level 2 which in turn requires lvl 92 unless that hasn't been changed. So in this situation you'd also need to level your alt a bit.
Also, the fur from Barn comes from work orders which alone can't unfortunately keep up with the material requirements for creating Hexweave.

(I'm of course here still in the scenario player wants his Plushie in five days :)
- Taking your candles since 2005

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » October 30th, 2014, 4:14 pm

All this figuring out and analyzing and algorithms is fun :D

Let me put it all in perspective --- there is literally ZERO prize for being first. Take your time. Enjoy the journey that leveling is in Draenor. It is a beautiful, amazing land and the quests are FUN and every tiny bit of leveling from 90-100 is fun and enjoyable. There is no slog. There is no boredom. It's wonderful! Pets are our main focus, yes, absolutely - but there literally is no reason to rush. Trunks is a cute and wonderful reward, but if you put in the time, you WILL be rewarded.

Honestly, less stress and more fun during the first few weeks is my recommendation! :) I certainly will not be rushing to be first.

Caveat; this could possibly be because I've done all the content in beta already and so, have no desire to rush through it :)

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » October 30th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Topaz wrote: there is a step-by-step guide I've written in wowhead about 2 months ago when the achievement was changed to trainers instead of the celestial beast. been refining it since the pre-patch changes, so beside dr. ion everything is completely bullet proof (cant post link)
If you aren't opposed to using CT reward pets (I don't think you should be...after all we are two petting CT tamer battles here...so some level of experience is expected):

Xu-fu murders the first pet in two rounds (prowl + moonfire). Then you just spirit claws your way through the 2nd pet. I usually kill it and do one hit on the direhorn before xu-fu dies. I clean up with a robo chick (batter, overtune, windup). You just need to make sure overtune doesn't fall off if the direhorn can do the stunning charge to you and has the speed buff up.

It isn't a 100% all the time strat, but it is very consistent.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829