Iron Starlettes on the AH: Am I Crazy?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Slugggo
Top Rater
Pet Score:13685
Realm:Moonrunner-us
Iron Starlettes on the AH: Am I Crazy?

Post by Slugggo » October 22nd, 2014, 7:41 pm

I have 90s for every class (and a few more beyond that), so since the Iron Starlettes are cageable, and the quest mobs have a chance to drop Bronze Whelplings, I've completed that chain many times over and now have a small army of caged Iron Starlettes in my bank.

It's my understanding this quest chain will go away once WoD hits, and assumedly, so will the ability to get this pet. Forever. And yet I look at the AH on my server and see people selling these pets dirt cheap -- 500, 400, now I'm seeing them go as low as 200 gold a pop.

So, am I crazy? Is the quest chain staying around after WoD hits? Otherwise, it seems like these pets will be insanely valuable in a year, once this initial glut falls off, making these AH prices a huge bargain right now.

- Sluggo

*(yes, I apologize to anyone now yelling at his screen going SHHHHHHH!!! BE COOL, MAN! DON'T RUIN IT! But if WarcraftPets members get to profit off this info, I don't mind sharing it with them.)

Mayoradeath
Top Rater
Pet Score:6934
BattleTag®:mayor#1927
Realm:Cairne-us

Re: Iron Starlettes on the AH: Am I Crazy?

Post by Mayoradeath » October 22nd, 2014, 7:57 pm

I have been thinking the same thing and have been collecting them to sell after WoD drops next month but I did the same thing with Gahz' Rookie and they just turned it into a world drop so I still have like 20 of those left in my guild bank :( But if they do take the Iron Starlette out of the game we should be set on gold for awhile :)

Michellefilo
Pet Score:5438
Realm:Thaurissan-us

Post by Michellefilo » October 22nd, 2014, 8:16 pm

It is about supply and demand. Right now everyone that is playing has them, they are worth nothing. When the quest does go away, with time, the price should go up. New players will come along and if the pet is a good battle pet some people will want 3 of them. I am keeping mine in the bank for at least 6 months ;)

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » October 22nd, 2014, 9:59 pm

Right now theres a HUGE supply of them, due to everyone bringing their alts through the chain for the 520 epic trink at the end. The cheapest are about 50g on my ah. Will take a while for the glut to be absorbed im certain.

I think P/P might remain the most prized of them, due to the sheer destructiveness of its hits. Should trivialize many nasty legendary pets with high health.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » October 22nd, 2014, 10:42 pm

I'm not going to speculate on them. Even if there is no way to get them at all once WoD launches it seems like there soo many of them that I don't think the supply is ever really going to dry up enough to make them have any major value. Yeah, they might go up to a few hundred gold or maybe 1k but I don't expect them to sell fast or climb to crazy amounts.

I've still got the 4 I got from running my 90's through the chain and I'll stick with that.

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Nagini » October 23rd, 2014, 2:00 am

I was thinking about this too, but decided not to run the thing on alts i dont care about for spare starlettes. The way pets are stored means they don't take up your inventory, so any player with 3 90's will fill up their petjournal, even if they dont collect pets, whitout losing space. As the previous poster said, the achievement and other rewards make multiple runs of the quests more then worth it. So even once they go away, there will be a large reserve in place not just from petcollectors but also from other players, moreso then there have been for items such as the haunted memento.
Most people are probebly waiting for prices to go up to sell at the moment, and prices will slowly climb, but i dont think it will ever be a big ticket item, unless you intend to have a bank full of iron starlettes and then take the next three years of wow.

While i know how it went with gazhrooki, perhaps the bronze whelpling is a better pick to farm, as not everyone will get one now, and they are probebly trickier to obtain post 6.0.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » October 23rd, 2014, 11:52 am

I had the same thoughts. The quest chain is so short and easy compared to the SoO launch event, which I only bothered to complete on my main plus my two troll toons, for the title. This one I can do with all my 90s in very little time, and I will hang onto all the starlettes just because they are down to 100g on Silvermoon and that hardly seems worth the time spent trying to sell them.

Even if they do move the pet to somewhere else after the event, like Gahz'rooki, they will become somewhat more valuable just because there won't be thousands of people trying to offload theirs on AH all at the same time. Look at Gahz'rooki; they were going for just a couple of hundred gold when they were guaranteed from the weekly quest. Now, it's not massively valuable but usually goes for a few k because people don't fancy farming for it.

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » October 23rd, 2014, 4:16 pm

I have 9 90's, 7 horde and 2 ally, i have 3 left to do the quest chain on, that will leave me with 9 starlette's. I have already levelled a P/P to 25,and will check through the others to see what breeds are left. My plan is to save a couple for mates who are returning to wow for wod as welcome back pressies. that leaves 4-6 to stash in a dark corner of my bank for about 4 years lol. i very much doubt these will ever gain much in value, at least not for a couple of years. The whelpling on the other hand is probably worth farming, especially if it gets removed which i suspect it wont.

Samanthers
Pet Score:7193
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Samanthers » October 23rd, 2014, 9:25 pm

I'm hoarding these, just in case. The cost to buy them is so little, it's worth the risk. I'll sell them in a year.

Slugggo
Top Rater
Pet Score:13685
Realm:Moonrunner-us

Post by Slugggo » October 24th, 2014, 3:43 pm

Kpb321 wrote:it seems like there soo many of them that I don't think the supply is ever really going to dry up enough to make them have any major value.
That's kind of the main question I have: how long, if ever, will it take the initial supply to dry up? 3 months? 6? a year? I have to believe they'll run out at some point, but who knows how much demand there will be, since they'll mostly be attractive to new or returning players who missed the event.

So I'm not going crazy buying them up, but I did see a few yesterday going for 80 gold, which I have to believe I'll at least make the gold back on at some point. I'm just surprised to see people dumping them so cheap right now.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » October 24th, 2014, 6:08 pm

I'm buying them under 100 g each.

This event is for a month. Lets say the majority of people who log on during that month do the quest on one or two toons. Most will learn one of them, and sell the other. I'm banking on the fact that 6 months to a year from now, many more people will be subscribers, and many DIFFERENT people will be playing. I don't know the turnover, but I know that every patch, we have more and more people coming here just starting their collections.

Plus, if even 10% of the population doesn't log on this month, but come back after WoD, they will see this cheap pet on the AH and possibly pick them up and thus lower supply.

However, I do not ever see this pet getting anywhere close to other limited edition cageables. Even children's week pets will be a lot more expensive. The fact that the p/p breed is very strong is a great plus to it though. I'm seeing these hover around 800g in a year.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD