Decoy buff or AoE bug?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu
Decoy buff or AoE bug?

Post by Vek » October 19th, 2014, 7:56 am

Hi, me again.
So I was trying out my newly leveled Cursed Birman. I teamed it with a Celestial Dragon and when facing a MPD i noticed something I was not expecting. MPD used Decoy and I used Arcane Storm. Arcane Storm is an AoE move that after the patch has had the Avalanche treatment. Still it is an AoE so I expected that two hits would be blocked and the third pet would be hit for its third of the damage. But instead no damage got through and only one decoy stack was removed.

Well that sucked. :)

So is this a bug or intentional? Are the other Avalanche-type moves interacting with decoy in the same way? If they do, I get the feeling that S/S Sky-Bo would be quite nice MPD counter.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Decoy buff or AoE bug?

Post by Poofah » October 19th, 2014, 8:35 am

Yes. Avalanche/Thunderbolt/Whirlwind/Arcane Storm now use the 'split X dmg among opponents' mechanic, instead of 'deal X/3 dmg to each opponent'. This type of AoE now gets completely blocked by 1 charge of Decoy/Frost Barrier, presumably because these put a 'block' as a field effect (but it still works the old way with Bubble/Soul Ward, presumably because they put a 'block' locally on just the pet itself).

This makes Decoy a better AoE counter, but in most situations the AoE change is a buff for the AoEs. MPD in particular got 2 buffs that it absolutely didn't need. (not to mention that MPD is one of the biggest beneficiaries of DAH's extinction)
Last edited by Poofah on October 19th, 2014, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370

Post by Jerebear » October 19th, 2014, 8:41 am

Vek wrote:Hi, me again.
So is this a bug or intentional? Are the other Avalanche-type moves interacting with decoy in the same way? If they do, I get the feeling that S/S Sky-Bo would be quite nice MPD counter.
I thought that this is how Avalanche worked pre patch? Though I didn't test it out on PTR, I expected the other abilities that got the avalanche treatmeant would only lose one charge since they only hit one target (the decoy). Again, all assumptions on my part though.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » October 19th, 2014, 8:51 am

Jerebear wrote:
Vek wrote:Hi, me again.
I thought that this is how Avalanche worked pre patch? Though I didn't test it out on PTR, I expected the other abilities that got the avalanche treatmeant would only lose one charge since they only hit one target (the decoy). Again, all assumptions on my part though.
That might well be the case but I don't have the brewpup and not fond of using decoy so have not had opportunity to experience this before patch. Guess nothing changed in how it functioned, just first time it came up for me.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » October 19th, 2014, 8:53 am

Poofah wrote: This makes Decoy a better AoE counter, but in most situations the AoE change is a buff for the AoEs. MPD in particular got 2 buffs that it absolutely didn't need. (not to mention that MPD is one of the biggest beneficiaries of DAH's extinction)
Agree fully with this.

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12239
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » October 19th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Oh no this is a new change with 6.0 - AOE attacks used to be considered 3 attacks, now they are considered one and thus, are now perfectly and OP countered with Decoy.

The new meta is the old meta; Foss Hatch/MPD/anything you want.

Yick.

I like the changes to AOE for PvE but for PvP this really isn't good at all.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206

Post by Poofah » October 19th, 2014, 2:48 pm

Chibimage wrote:Oh no this is a new change with 6.0 - AOE attacks used to be considered 3 attacks, now they are considered one and thus, are now perfectly and OP countered with Decoy.
It's not all the AoEs, it's only Avalanche/Thunderbolt/Whirlwind/Arcane Storm and Cleave/Carpnado/Grave Destruction when we get those pets eventually. Sunlight, Bonestorm, Armageddon, Primal Cry, Acid Rain, Jadefire Lightning, Tympanic Tantrum, Arcane Explosion, etc still use the old mechanic -- they will eat 2 charges of Decoy and then deal damage to the 3rd pet.
Chibimage wrote:I like the changes to AOE for PvE but for PvP this really isn't good at all.
Yes, the damage is too high on Avalanche/Thunderbolt, considering how easy it is to use. They aren't just AoEs now, they're also very large single-target nukes. When you chose the old Thunderbolt, you were sacrificing single-target power for AoE power, and that tension is gone now. Now Thunderbolt always does its damage in the most convenient form.

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Klaital » October 19th, 2014, 3:47 pm

You can still use anything with flurry to mow through decoys fast.

Vek
Top Rater

Post by Vek » October 29th, 2014, 3:49 am

Vek wrote:re the other Avalanche-type moves interacting with decoy in the same way? If they do, I get the feeling that S/S Sky-Bo would be quite nice MPD counter.
Finally got a decently priced S/S Sky-Bo(yes, couldn't wait for prices to drop more :P ).

First fight I actually ran into an MPD and it was sweet. Sure it will still be a mind game on when to put up the Decoy. But having strong vs mech attack and the possibility that you time the decoy to totally block their Thunderstorm was very useful. MPD users will of course learn the hard way, but still fun while it lasts.