About Bronze Whelpling

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu
About Bronze Whelpling

Post by Vek » October 16th, 2014, 4:47 am

I got lucky and after a few runs through Nethergard Mines a S/S one dropped for me. Have tried it out in PvP for a bit. It kind of feels like a slightly speedier old favourite of mine, the Scalded Basilisk Hatchling. Both are in trouble against mechs and against faster opponents, but when they are faster they can really control the current match up. While it does not have the excellent Feign Death, Lift-Off is quite a good trade especially with it actually hitting and doing damage nowadays.

There are a couple of things though. If you are not faster Arcane Slash feels underwhelming, especially against pets like Lil'Bling. You really have to make the best use of the dragonkin racial or better yet get a better match-up.

One really annoying thing is using a slower Arcane Slash against a flying pet. Your supposedly strong attack will hit for just below 300. But once they lose their racial they are toast.

One strange thing also happened twice during one fight. I stunned the opposing pet and then when I used Arcane Slash nothing happened, my turn just passed without any damage being dealt. First time was against same speed Lil'Bling. Second time I don't recall if it was bling again or it was the slower Bonkers. Very annoying.

Jgcat2
Pet Score:4388
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Re: About Bronze Whelpling

Post by Jgcat2 » October 16th, 2014, 9:23 am

I'm also considering which breed of Bronze Whelpling to choose. We already have so many p/p options with tail sweep (Infinite Whelpling, Lil' Deathwing, Nexus Whelpling, Spawn of Onyxia), but no s/s options with similar abilities---namely the stun and arcane slash. If you (expect) your opponent to be faster, use a p/p with tail sweep.

Anyway, I'd love to hear more opinions about this.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » October 16th, 2014, 9:36 am

The S/S option and moveset is clearly the more unique and useful imho. The P/P option can easilly be duplicated by an infinite whelpling.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » October 18th, 2014, 1:09 am

Vek wrote:One strange thing also happened twice during one fight. I stunned the opposing pet and then when I used Arcane Slash nothing happened, my turn just passed without any damage being dealt. First time was against same speed Lil'Bling. Second time I don't recall if it was bling again or it was the slower Bonkers. Very annoying.
Apparently I am not alone in experiencing this, almost thought I was just imagining it.
[url]http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14926302616[/url]

Anyone else noticed this?

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » October 18th, 2014, 1:15 am

Probably just badly coded. It's not quite the same as Alpha Strike. Alpha Strike does 15 dmg, then 10 more if faster. So there's no problem if you're same speed, it just does 15 dmg and stops. Arcane Slash has to decide whether you're faster or slower; if slower, do 14 dmg, if faster, do 25 dmg. It probably doesn't have the edge case coded (ie if same speed, do 14 dmg). So when you're same speed, it doesn't know what to do, and it just stops without doing anything.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » October 20th, 2014, 4:40 pm

I mentioned this in another thread, but also applies here:
I tweeted the Crafticus about it and he at least saw it, so I am sure it will be fixed at some point.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829