Well that's that then.

Discuss anything else pertaining to WoW.
Treponem
Pet Score:9939
Realm:Aszune-eu
Well that's that then.

Post by Treponem » October 15th, 2014, 9:22 am

As of today I can no longer play World of Warcraft, something that can be explained by this sentence which Blizzard posted YESTERDAY:

"With the release of patch 6.0.2, players running OS X version 10.6.8 and earlier will no longer be able to launch the World of Warcraft client."

That's the version I use and as it would cost me in the region of £1,000 to upgrade, I probably won't. I can also imagine a lot of other people having a problem here too. When Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel a few years ago, they didn't want to render people's software obsolete overnight so the Intel machines continued to support PowerPC software, up to and including 10.6.8 but not thereafter.

So while Blizzard glibly tell me to upgrade my OS, they're not offering to replace my Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Microsoft Office etc etc... none of which would work if I did.

It's a bit of a bugger really.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Re: Well that's that then.

Post by Gilneas » October 15th, 2014, 2:09 pm

That's unfortunate, but to be fair here, Apple's swith to Intel from IBM/Motorola was in 2006. That's forever in terms of modern computer advancements. I'd be concerned with even being able to run WoD on a computer that's 9 or more years old (the first Intel Macs were January of 06) regardless of the operating system its running.

Sometimes I think Blizzard completely drops their support of OS X versions too quickly, but that they aren't supporting PowerPC processesors any longer....that I can understand.

Treponem

Post by Treponem » October 15th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Just to clarify, I'm on an Intel Mac, running an operating system that was only superseded three years ago. I just absolutely need an OS that will let me run my old PowerPC programmes and after 10.6.8 Apple's license with Rosetta, which enabled this, ran out. I think Blizzard and Apple can share the blame over this, Apple are certainly too obsessed with churning out new operating systems and are equally as quick to forget the old ones as they go along. For their part, Blizz seem to adopt a "well if they don't care, why should we?" approach. And actually leaving the announcement until yesterday was shocking.

I feel as though I've had a massive, comfortable rug pulled from under me, I look at my pet collection on here and think "well, goodbye you lot." Not to mention that my kids play on this account too. We've got about 30 alts between us.

Skyquake
MVP
Pet Score:4379
BattleTag®:Seamus#1218
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Skyquake » October 15th, 2014, 6:02 pm

Why not just get a cheap PC? I would be stunned if you couldn't find a used desktop that would run WoW just fine for maybe $150.00 USD tops. Can Apple peripherals be tricked into working with PC's?

Treponem

Post by Treponem » October 15th, 2014, 6:15 pm

I've actually just thrown a very old, cheap PC into the garage, ready for the tip. My eldest lad has, based on today's developments, determined to fix it. Thing is, the boys get too distracted by FIFA15 to worry about the fact that I'm 60% of the way towards Pebble,

Treponem

Post by Treponem » December 16th, 2014, 4:59 pm

It never rains but it pours. The Mac in question has died so I'm now a grand down and have no Adobe CS suite. But I'm back on bloody WoW.