WoD: Wild Pet hunting

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Kalium
Top Rater
WoD: Wild Pet hunting

Post by Kalium » October 7th, 2014, 7:26 pm

I read through the WoWhead guide and unless I'm missing something there are only 25 new wild pets to capture. That seems awfully low to me. There were 55 in Pandaria and I was kind of hoping for more than that since it's a brand new world. Maybe I'm being too greedy but my excitement waned severely once I noticed this. Please someone tell me I'm wrong.

Thanks for listening to my mini rant,
Kalium

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: WoD: Wild Pet hunting

Post by Quintessence » October 7th, 2014, 8:30 pm

What you see in the Wowhead guide is the correct number of wild pets available at the release of WoD. 25 out of a total of 93 new pets. About 27% of total new WoD pets will be wild.

Compare that to Mists: MoP came with 260+ total new pets, with only 55 from Pandaria. About 21% of total new MoP pets (at launch) was wild in Pandaria.

Keep in mind that more content can be added post-release of WoD. There's always a chance that we'll see more wild pets (and new pets in general) in a future content patch.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12649
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » October 8th, 2014, 7:22 am

I suspect we will see loads of the ones that have been removed during the beta when they release Tanaan Jungle :)

Kalium
Top Rater

Post by Kalium » October 8th, 2014, 8:39 am

I hope so... seeing numbers like 55 out of 260+ for MoP... then seeing 25 out of 93 for WoD... seems very light. I was hoping to collect more pets from the wild than random drops this time. Seems odd that the majority of our pets can't be from the wild... you know from actually pet battling.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » October 8th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Hmm, this got me thinking...

Out of curiosity, since I don't think I've seen this info elsewhere, has anyone found any wild WoD pets that come with more than 1 skin? And if so, which ones?

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » October 8th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Peanutty wrote:Hmm, this got me thinking...

Out of curiosity, since I don't think I've seen this info elsewhere, has anyone found any wild WoD pets that come with more than 1 skin? And if so, which ones?
I don't think there are any alternate skins for any pet this time around. At least, I haven't seen/found any.

The wild pets are mainly unique reskins themselves (4 different wild wasps, a couple different peacocks, toucans, and hippos, 3 different wild ravagers, etc.), and there are only so many available skins for these new models -- each skin being already assigned to a specific pet.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Monekop
Top Rater
Pet Score:13652
BattleTag®:MonekopSilk#2526
Realm:Shadowsong-eu

Post by Monekop » October 8th, 2014, 4:10 pm

If I am correct that we will get Timewalker remakes of a lot of dungeons instead of a third raid tier, expect to see lots of battlepets in old dungeons

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » October 8th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Are any of the pre-WOD zones going to get any more wild pets? I have one add-on that keeps reporting that I don't have all the pets for some of the zones I am in. I know I have every available wild pet, so I assumed there would be new pets available once WOD hit, but with only 25 new wild pets that seems unlikely now. My guess is that add-on is just not reporting correctly any more.

Since I am not at home I can't see which Add-on is doing it, it does attach itself to the end of your tracked quests on the right side of the screen. It will list every pet in the zone, and color coordinate them with what rarity you have. Red color meaning you don't have it. At the top of the list it displays how many pets you have and how many the zone contains. It was working correctly till about a month ago maybe. Now in some zones the count at the top is showing me a few less than the max, but the list of pet names show I have them all (I.E. no red names)
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » October 8th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Quintessence wrote:I don't think there are any alternate skins for any pet this time around. At least, I haven't seen/found any.
I assumed this would be the case, since it seemed that the new wild pets matched up with specific skins (as you've noted, there's only so many different colors of peacocks or toucans or baby hippos). But as I really enjoy hunting for rarity, breeds and skins, I was hoping there'd be maybe one or two that would have an unique skin variant, to keep the craziest of collectors extra busy. :) Maybe a few will show up in future patches, as new pets get added to the game.

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12649
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » October 9th, 2014, 9:31 pm

The Thicket Skitterer in Spires of Arak has two skins - a tan one and a yellow one. That's the only wild pet that does.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » October 9th, 2014, 10:22 pm

Chibimage wrote:The Thicket Skitterer in Spires of Arak has two skins - a tan one and a yellow one. That's the only wild pet that does.
Oh goodie, I'll be on the lookout for that one then!
Chibimage wrote:I suspect we will see loads of the ones that have been removed during the beta when they release Tanaan Jungle :)
I'm hoping that'll be the case. I was really looking forward to having all 4 toucan colors and even the new moth and firefly skins.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » October 9th, 2014, 10:38 pm

Chibimage wrote:The Thicket Skitterer in Spires of Arak has two skins - a tan one and a yellow one. That's the only wild pet that does.
Nice find!