Good team for leveling other pets in the wild?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Vampguard
Pet Score:2403
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us
Good team for leveling other pets in the wild?

Post by Vampguard » October 6th, 2014, 3:14 pm

I like to level up a few pets a day doing wild battles typically in Vale or in Dread Wastes, one thing that annoys me about doing this is having to wait to heal my current teams of pets, I was wondering what two pets could basically destroy all the wild things I fight and be pretty much good to go fight after fight with no down time? I have an Emperor Crab which is fine either against critters and has good survival skills/heals but the damage is so lack luster I hate when I am fighting pets that heal because they just won't die.

If there is no 2-pet dream team I was wondering the best place to level up other pets in the wild?

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Re: Good team for leveling other pets in the wild?

Post by Klaital » October 6th, 2014, 4:19 pm

Feline Familiar is by far best, with stoneskin + devour it pretty much never needs healing outside battle, and with onyx bite that is strong against fliers and not weak against anything you find in draenor wild pets it will kill stuff fast. I keep Blossoming Ancient as my back-up pet, its really slow in killing stuff, but literally can't die against wild pets, and its very rare that my familiar dies and its needed anyway, usually only happens if I get rng really hating me against a moth so onyx bite misses like two to three times in a row and they sleep me with every moth dust.

As for where to level, I generally level against the hedgehogs that are all around Gorespine in dread wastes, because those are lvl 24-25, fairly easy, and respawn so fast that if your only one battling there you never need to move to keep non-stop battling.

Vampguard
Pet Score:2403
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Vampguard » October 6th, 2014, 5:49 pm

Klaital wrote:Feline Familiar is by far best, with stoneskin + devour it pretty much never needs healing outside battle, and with onyx bite that is strong against fliers and not weak against anything you find in draenor wild pets it will kill stuff fast. I keep Blossoming Ancient as my back-up pet, its really slow in killing stuff, but literally can't die against wild pets, and its very rare that my familiar dies and its needed anyway, usually only happens if I get rng really hating me against a moth so onyx bite misses like two to three times in a row and they sleep me with every moth dust.

As for where to level, I generally level against the hedgehogs that are all around Gorespine in dread wastes, because those are lvl 24-25, fairly easy, and respawn so fast that if your only one battling there you never need to move to keep non-stop battling.
I am actually leveling up the Blossoming Ancient right now and as for the Feline Familiar I don't have one right now which is unfortunate but the good news is I will be able to get one rather soon so that's good! I have a lot of really strong burst pets like Unborn Valk'yr and Gilnean Raven and even Lil'Deathwing and Lil'Ragnaros, the problem with most of those pets is that they are killable relatively easily by a lot of things and aren't usually good to go by the next battle after 3 or 4 in a row

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » October 6th, 2014, 6:15 pm

I think it really depends on where you are fighting and what you are fighting. Obviously, strong pets that deal extra damage and/or take less damage from your opponents are helpful for being able to grind with out stopping.

For fighting flying pets my favorite is Emerald Prod-drake. A magic attack that is strong against flying pets, takes less damage from flying attacks and Emerald presence/dream make it pretty much unkillable. Emerald Presence is especially good against those multi hit abilities that are common for flying pets.

For fighting critters I like either Xufu or a Zandalari with devour or Bloodfang but there are a number of other beasts with Devour that can do really well against critters.

For fighting beasts I don't really have a great one as there are very few things with a good heal and strong mechanical attacks. I've used a Son of Animus on the beasts by Gorespine but didn't feel like he was 100% sustainable. I also didn't particularly care for the area because you had a large variety of secondary pets possibly which made it hard to build a team with two carry pets that was strong against everything you might face. A lil bling might work there but I haven't tried it. Repair is the only other heal generally available to mechanical pets but it takes so long to fire off and with out the combo with a shield you end up taking a fair but of damage waiting for it to go off.

For Aquatic I like Chi-Chi with a good attack, avoidance and a heal. Again their aren't too many flying pets with a heal but Chi-Chi does work well.

For wild battles Vale of Eternal Blossoms is nice because it's almost entirely aquatic and flying pets so Chi-Chi and the welp clean up well. Valley of the four winds isn't bad with mostly aquatic and critters and a pretty large area where a low level can move around safely. The Veiled Stair should be all critters I don't think there is a huge number of spawn spots there.

Echinacea
Pet Score:10214
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Echinacea » October 7th, 2014, 8:58 am

feline familiar is what is use....but i find that i dont bother with stoneskin because things die so fast. any cat will work....i use a sand kitten as well.

go to darkmoon faire island and get a crow....or use a gilnean raven as well since a lot of your wild pets will be aquatic or critter. (against flying i use nordrassil wisp)

Echinacea
Pet Score:10214
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Echinacea » October 7th, 2014, 9:01 am

my core group of pets are chrominus, anubisath idol, pandaren water spirit, clockwork gnome, gilnean raven, feline familiar, sand kitten, nordrassil wisp, emerald proto drake, strand crab, darkmoon zeppelin and arctic hare

with those i can take on most any trainer or wild pet

Narlyk
Pet Score:3657
Realm:Twisting Nether-us

Post by Narlyk » October 7th, 2014, 9:49 am

I'd like to pile on with the Feline Familiar. I typically level in the Veiled Stair (all critter wild pets there to battle). I run a team that consists of the pet I'm leveling, the Feline Familiar, and a Direhorn Runt for backup. One round for the leveling pet, put in the Familiar with Pounce, Stoneskin, and Devour (though I hardly ever use Stoneskin), and the battle is pretty much over if you use Devour effectively. The Direhorn Runt is just there for those moments when I push the buttons in the wrong order and the cat gets killed - which is about once in 20-30 battles. I usually use this area to finish off high-level pets, and it is 3-5 battles per level between 22 and 25. Pretty quick.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » October 7th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Whwn i was leveling, I used a Feline Familiar and Darkmoon Cub in the Halfhill area. The cats destroy the critters and using Devour, they rarely needed healing. On those rare occasions when one does wear down, I'd just swap to the second cat until the cooldown on pet heal had expired

Hermy
Top Rater
Pet Score:10379
BattleTag®:Hermy#1783
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Hermy » October 10th, 2014, 1:21 pm

You could also have two or three (or more) levelling teams and switch between them, then you'll have no downtime. If you use something like Rematch, you can just create the teams in there, have your list of pets you want to level in your queue and then just switch between teams easily when you need to.

Renjah
Top Rater
Pet Score:7345
BattleTag®:Renja#1581
Realm:Thunderlord-us

Post by Renjah » October 14th, 2014, 12:53 pm

I have seen a handful of players on various servers sit near No-No and level pets there, myself included. I usually use my leveling pet(at least level 5+), any moth(other flyers work also) and an arcane eye. Usually you only encounter aquatics and sometimes a glowfly, the moth/flyers can usually take care of any aquatic when used with cocoon strike, moth dust and alpha strike/slicing winds. Sometimes I will use the moth for the flyers also and just kill it off as I know I can just move onto the next moth I have on my teams, this may be a pain if you don't have a lot of moths leveled or in your collection but it works for me as I have 23 moths right now and other flyers I don't bother with. Usually only have to heal when my leveling pet dies from not paying attention or I run out of moths.

Wowpetbattler
Top Rater
Pet Score:4269
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Wowpetbattler » October 15th, 2014, 8:41 am

Team: 2 x Flamering Moths (blue, lvl 25), found on Timeless Isle. The only moth with self-heal. Strong against aquatics. Also moth dust (sleep), huge direct damage, and a fast pet. Plus your leveling pet.

Place the leveling pet in the first slot. Go to the Valley of Four Winds. Find the aquatic pets. I have leveled many, many pets to level 25 this way. So fast. By far the biggest secret leveling team in the game.

Zimmy910
Pet Score:2066
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Zimmy910 » October 15th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Valley of the four winds with all the critters seems to work well. A blue lvl 25 beast can win almost every battle solo, you can throw in your leveling pet an an opportune moment :).
Morpheus, Zulbob, Zennadar and others on [EU]Aggramar
Pet Battles on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/zimmy910

Pushingravity
Pet Score:2455
BattleTag®:Relentless#1888
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Pushingravity » October 15th, 2014, 8:52 pm

I battle in Vo4W on the critters near Halfhill or the cliff into Krasarang. I use Hyjal Bear Cub and Winterspring Tiger, mainly the tiger. With high power and speed he tears right through them.

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » October 16th, 2014, 4:52 am

I target critters (mostly in Vo4W) and use Razzashi Hatchling. I tried Feline Familiar in the vale against flyers, but I just didn't feel the same level of survivability as with the Razzashi Hatchling. Bite, leap & devour will just beat everything, and devour heals for something like 578 which just keeps things going. No problems having the heal cooldown open when it's needed. I prefer Razzashi Hatchling to Zandalari raptors because it has a bit more health, but it also might be just because I used the Hatchling long before Zandalari raptors. The 3rd slot goes to a P/P moth that can destroy aquatics in a second if it's needed.

Aalea
Top Rater

Post by Aalea » October 17th, 2014, 3:56 am

Xu-fu is good for Pandaria but I also use the Infinite Whelping if I am pet battling on Timeless Isle.

Siegaplays
Pet Score:10055
Realm:Gnomeregan-us

Post by Siegaplays » October 17th, 2014, 6:42 pm

Flamering Moth is really excellent against aquatic teams in vale. I paired it with a nordrassil wisp for the teams that includes a flyer, but the moth is really a energizer bunny with those aquatics, just use healing flame whenever the opposition take a good chunk out of you.

1. Carry pet
2. Flamering moth (PS, 2, 2, 2)
3. regular magic pet against flyers

Oddjob
Pet Score:3793
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us

Post by Oddjob » November 1st, 2014, 6:05 pm

My main strategy is to use 4 flying pets in the Vale, where there are a lot of aquatics. Rotate 2 out when they get low on health and you'll never need to use a bandage or visit the stable.

Start with Sandy Petrel or Brilliant Kaliri and do a Cyclone, which really thrashes the aquatics over time. I keep the first pet in for a couple more rounds and don't let them get to low on health. Second pet is the pet you are leveling, swap in for 1 round or as long as you like. Third pet is another flyer with big damage, such as Gilnean Raven or Crow. I also like a moth in the third position as Cocoon limits damage.

Druzy
Pet Score:4598
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by Druzy » November 2nd, 2014, 6:49 am

I like having a spider on the team for [ability]Brittle Webbing[/ability] and the [ability]Leech Life[/ability] abilities. Plus spiders are caught in the wild and you can have 3 of each kind so you don't need to waste resources or time with healing, just switch out for a new spider.

Spiders can also handle just about anything you throw at them, just like in real life!

Strumpet101
MVP
Pet Score:4301
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Strumpet101 » November 2nd, 2014, 4:06 pm

I'm partial to the Kirin Tor familiar in the vale against moths, paired with the Brilliant Kaliri for the aquatics.

In the Valley, where there are so many critters, I replace the Kirin Tor Familiar with Kovok or Xu-Fu - but any beast that's fast and powerful works. Some of the Dragonhawk Hatchlings can be great as double duty too.

Wolfson
Pet Score:9340
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Wolfson » November 2nd, 2014, 5:08 pm

My favourite spot for levelling off wild pets is the Vale (I love that spot by No-No), and I normally use my Guardian Cub and Magical Crawdad. The Guardian Cub essentially does all the work; Onyx Bite, Wild Winds, and Reckless Strike wrecks both the aquatic and flying pets out there. The Crawdad is just there to provide healing with a Wish-swap every other battle or so.