Any hit % changes planned for WoD?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Grumplestiltskin
Pet Score:3430
Realm:Tanaris-us
Any hit % changes planned for WoD?

Post by Grumplestiltskin » September 26th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Just curious, as the randomness to hits and misses is the one thing that keeps me from enjoying pet battles, as a whole. I love them and all, but it seems like every other battle and I biting my tongue due to this "issue".

I swear I still do not understand how hit % works completely, I know there is an added variable in there, and that the base % values are not what is displayed in the tooltip.

Example being my Snow Cub and its claw attack. Supposedly it is 90%, but no matter what, I miss at least 1-2 times every battle. This is, of course, while facing opponents that are of equal or lesser level value and without any debuffs. It just gets to me that a 90% attack behaves much more like a 70% one. My Anubisath Idol is more reliable for crying out loud!

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Re: Any hit % changes planned for WoD?

Post by Klaital » September 26th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Level no longer has any effect on hit chance. And from what I understood, they are making all the 'basic' moves 100% hit chance in warlords, I think only attacks that still wont always hit are the 50% hit chance ones, and multi hit things like the various barrages and moth balls.

Grumplestiltskin

Post by Grumplestiltskin » September 26th, 2014, 6:08 pm

That sounds like great news! Thanks very much for the info. :)

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 26th, 2014, 8:31 pm

They still technically have hit in those moves, but it operates different. Instead of hit vs miss, those moves hit low or hit high. I like it better, but RNG can still get you if you hit low every single time, which will be more likely than missing was. There are some other changes to how the hit stat interacts with that model as well.

You start off with a 50% chance to hit low vs high. Hit buffs and debuffs slide that boundary in either direction (+20 hit means high 70% of the time/low 30% of the time).

Hit debuffs will still cause abilities to possibly miss. So darkness and sandstorm will still plague you with RNG misses if they are up.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Grumplestiltskin

Post by Grumplestiltskin » September 26th, 2014, 9:58 pm

I guess I was just hoping for flat %-based attacks, and that the RNG would be removed. Maybe it's just me, but when something says it is 70-80-90-whatever %, I'd like that to be the actual %. I'd really love to do more of the pvp pet battles, but with things seemingly based so heavily on the RNG factor, it comes off as more of a luck-based game, as opposed to a skill-based one.

Even still, the new method does seem better than how it is currently. I'm just hoping I will be rolling my eyes less and letting out a few less exasperated sighs once WoD rolls around. Thanks for the info!

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » September 26th, 2014, 11:30 pm

On paper this sounds great and hope it works out but we all know blizz and math don't seem to work together well.
At least in theory if I have an opponent near death I won't miss for a few rounds in a row anymore and end up losing.
I just worry that every hit will be a low hit and my opponents hits will be high hits.
That could be annoying real fast.

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Klaital » September 26th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Digem wrote:On paper this sounds great and hope it works out but we all know blizz and math don't seem to work together well.
At least in theory if I have an opponent near death I won't miss for a few rounds in a row anymore and end up losing.
I just worry that every hit will be a low hit and my opponents hits will be high hits.
Well low hit is still better than no hit!

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » September 27th, 2014, 5:42 am

Klaital wrote:
Digem wrote:On paper this sounds great and hope it works out but we all know blizz and math don't seem to work together well.
Well low hit is still better than no hit!

Agreed, but if one starts to lose consitantly due to the fact they keep low hitting while their opponent gets high damage hits it is almost the same as missing as the reason for losing.
If for example like 5 hits in a row hit my opponent for say 100 damage but at the same time my opponent hits me for 500 or more plus.
I will die and he/she won't.
I could see that getting old real fast if that happens a decent amount of times.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 27th, 2014, 9:35 am

Also bear in mind that low hits will occur more often than misses do now. I would be willing to bet they picked the distribution they did because it still has a similar average value. That said, a lot of abilities got buffed by this. Any ability that put on a debuff or caused a stun that had less than 100% chance got a small buff there because now they won't miss. [ability]Deep Freeze[/ability] for example went from 85% chance to hit to 100%. Yeah the damage could be lower, but it's more used for the stun on a chilled target.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » September 27th, 2014, 10:03 am

I am not a big fan of these changes, I love the current system. It provides options for everyone.
I really disliked the 10% base miss chance, but this current system feels right to me. I will miss misses.