Not thrilled with some of the changes

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us
Not thrilled with some of the changes

Post by Talmar » December 4th, 2012, 9:59 am

I hate that my Flayer Youngling can't seem to reflect heals or defensive moves anymore. That was one of my favorite things about my Youngling.

I also hate that my Gnomes turrets can no longer hit burrowed, flying, dived etc pets. That move alone has saved my butt so many times. Again, one of my favorite things about my Gnome.

Also, Mojo almost never gets the polymorph part of his frog kiss off. Definitely not 1 out of every 4 kisses that's for sure.

Are there other changes that have happened that I just haven't noticed yet?
Last edited by Talmar on December 5th, 2012, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Linaomine
Pet Score:8585
BattleTag®:jrevenge#1115
Realm:Area 52-us

Re: Not thrilled with some of the changes

Post by Linaomine » December 4th, 2012, 10:14 am

Talmar wrote:I also hate that my Gnomes turrets can now longer hit burrowed, flying, dived etc pets. That move alone has saved my butt so many times. Again, one of my favorite things about my Gnome.
Agreed 100%

Maliander
Pet Score:3413
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Maliander » December 4th, 2012, 10:56 am

Although I agree these changes are an annoying nerf to these abilities, both Build Turret and Reflection are still valuable abilities and the behaviour before the change did seem a bit strange (Reflecting a heal? Shooting a burrowing pet?).

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » December 4th, 2012, 11:06 am

Made me sad too.

I noticed something with Reflection though, if the other pet burrows, and you reflect on the 2nd round, you reflect the attack even if it's a two round ability. That didn't use to work like that did it?

Doesn't burrow your Flayer when you do it on the first round anymore though :( that was funny but obviously not intended

I also noticed that some abilities that proc if the target is chilled or stunned or whatever, seem to not always work like it should, the proc sometimes doesn't happen.. That, I find a little more annoying...

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Talmar wrote:I hate that my Flayer Youngling can't seem to reflect heals or defensive moves anymore. That was one of my favorite things about my Youngling.
I'm pretty bummed out about this one too. Copying a hot, a heal, or a evasion ability was so awesome, but I guess that could be seen as a bit overpowered. Still disappointing. :(

One thing I noticed is that a lot of dots or weather effects continue to do damage even if the pet that cast it dies. Prior to patch 5.1 I don't think this happened.

Take the battle with Grand Master Aki for example. Before the patch, Call Lightning would stop doing its additional damage after her dragon died. Now, the damage continues long after her pet is dead.

Poisons and life leeches are especially harder hitting now that they continue to tick from the grave. I don't remember ever taking so much damage (and being so frustrated) from them before 5.1. >_< I mean, I could be wrong and maybe I just never paid much attention?
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » December 4th, 2012, 2:19 pm

I was trying to level some pets on the Darkmoon glowfly, and noticed that it has 2 DoTs, which can mealt the face of whatever pet gets it. I had to be careful about keeping one pet fighting it too long, as the DoTs will kill it on the back row, if you are not paying attention, which means no XP for him, =(
mykro9#1585

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » December 4th, 2012, 4:45 pm

It is definitely a change since 5.1 -- DoTs and triggered debuffs continue to deal damage (or trigger) when the caster is dead. I don't recall if it was documented in patch notes. Previously the debuff would continue to have its non-damaging effects after the caster died, but not the damage. I think it was considered a bug and they fixed it. It's obviously a buff to a team that's losing pets, though, which makes it annoying versus certain tamers like the Dread Wastes guy or the water spirit.

I like the Reflection changes, except when it bugs out as a result of the new coding. It should work like 'I'm rubber, you're glue' -- it never made sense that it could affect an ability that didn't target the flayer (e.g. an enemy heal or self-buff). The bug with getting perma-Burrowed also had to go, and it's a lot stronger if you reflect the 2nd half of the burrow now (you don't trade damage any more, you just reflect it).

The other change I've noticed is that whereas the 5.0 wild pets still seem to spawn in a mass wave upon server restart, it seems like the 5.1 pets have the staggered spawn they were talking about pre-patch. I noticed this most with the gnome starting area: if you log on immediately after restart, you see a dozen irradiated roaches, but 0 fluxfire felines; if you wait until late at night, you see 0-3 felines and typically 0 roaches.

Imthedci
Pet Score:2862
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Imthedci » December 4th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Does Reflect still work with the roach's Apocalypse? Not that it was useful at all; just funny to have two meteors ready to rain down on you.... :lol:

Ardaluc
Pet Score:2690
Realm:Gorgonnash-eu

Post by Ardaluc » December 4th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Well, reflect was really buggy before the patch, on the fight against Aki when I reflected thunderstorm and survived long enough to reflect submerge it would cast thunderstorm again instead of reflecting submerge ;)

I think the changes make pet bettles more realistic. Dots/turrets still doing damage after the casting pet died and not being able to reflect self targeting skills.

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » December 4th, 2012, 7:26 pm

The best thing about reflect now is avoiding massive damage. If you pop it with one round to go on Water Geysers or things that build up, they miss you and you do damage in return. I love stealing the Terrible Turnips three round attack and effectively silencing it. It's pretty situational though. Still my main PvE pet.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Renmiri
Pet Score:2726
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Renmiri » December 4th, 2012, 11:20 pm

Oh Noes, will cataclysm kill at 15 turns even if the roach / beetle died ? :shock:

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » December 5th, 2012, 12:30 am

Renmiri wrote:Oh Noes, will cataclysm kill at 15 turns even if the roach / beetle died ? :shock:
Haven't tested yet but if dots and weather keep on rolling after the caster's death, my guess would be that "yes".
- Taking your candles since 2005