My Pet Team!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Winesmitch
Pet Score:323
Realm:Ragnaros-us
My Pet Team!

Post by Winesmitch » September 19th, 2014, 5:09 pm

Hello im new here just recently got into the whole pet battle thing! Just wanted to ask you people if my team is allright, it is as follow: Deathy which is a humanoid
Elementium Geode which is an elemental
and finally Voodoo Figurine which is undead!
I dont really understand the implications of mixing types and all that I just picked them cause they are rare and look cool!
Any help or tips are welcome!

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Re: My Pet Team!

Post by Peanutty » September 19th, 2014, 5:35 pm

When you first start out, truthfully, any 3 pets will do. So certainly if you want to use those pets because you like them, you'll be able to level up to 25 with those.

That said, if you want to optimize for wild pet battles, I would recommend a team makeup more like this: 1 beast, 1 mechanical, 1 flying (or magic). The reason being, you will encounter more critters, beasts, aquatic and flying wild pets than the other family types, and those pets will generally have abilities that are strong against those common families.

If you're looking at doing the quest chain from the trainer in Stormwind/Org, then you can start out with the team you already have, but will probably need to switch pets in and out once you get to the higher level tamers in the quest chain. That is pretty much unavoidable no matter what pets you choose, since the max level tamer teams require some strategizing and optimizing of teams to do well.

Also, if you do decide to switch pets in your team, do make sure the new ones are rare quality. A rare pet simply has better overall stats. If you really can't get a rare, an uncommon can do ok, but you probably don't want to use anything lower quality than that.

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Klaital » September 19th, 2014, 5:55 pm

Peanutty wrote:When you first start out, truthfully, any 3 pets will do. So certainly if you want to use those pets because you like them, you'll be able to level up to 25 with those.

That said, if you want to optimize for wild pet battles, I would recommend a team makeup more like this: 1 beast, 1 mechanical, 1 flying (or magic). The reason being, you will encounter more critters, beasts, aquatic and flying wild pets than the other family types, and those pets will generally have abilities that are strong against those common families.

If you're looking at doing the quest chain from the trainer in Stormwind/Org, then you can start out with the team you already have, but will probably need to switch pets in and out once you get to the higher level tamers in the quest chain. That is pretty much unavoidable no matter what pets you choose, since the max level tamer teams require some strategizing and optimizing of teams to do well.

Also, if you do decide to switch pets in your team, do make sure the new ones are rare quality. A rare pet simply has better overall stats. If you really can't get a rare, an uncommon can do ok, but you probably don't want to use anything lower quality than that.
You don't actually need to switch pets neseccarily for tamers, I originally beated all the tamers, up to and including spirit tamers and beasts of fable, with the same team consisting of Bandicoon (originally had Voodoo Figurine in place of the bandicoon, but found it rather lackluster at around the time I was finishing up northrend ones so switched it to bandicoon for the rest of the way), Mr. Grubbs, and Onyxian Whelpling, they didn't even reach lvl 25 until I hit the pandaria tamers.

To the OP, as I mentioned above, Voodoo Figurine is not that great pet, it was in my starting team also and got replaced at around lvl 20 due to not carrying its weight. I don't have Deathy so no idea how good he is in pet battles, and never used any of the geodes, though they do seem fairly good in dishing out a lot of damage from what I have seen from facing them. I would recommend getting at least one pet that can heal decently well, that will help you a lot, any kind of rare quality crab for example, or Crimson Whelpling, Onyxian Whelpling, or Spawn of Onyxia. Of the whelplings, the latter is a wild pet so by far the easiest to get if you don't already have one of the first two, capturing a rare quality Spawn of Onyxia would likely be good addition to your team.

EDIT: Looking over your pet collection, the pets I would recommend leveling as your first ones are Dread Hatchling, Mr. Grubbs, and Murkalot, all of those are very strong ones.

Winesmitch
Pet Score:323
Realm:Ragnaros-us

Post by Winesmitch » September 19th, 2014, 10:43 pm

Based on what I have read I decided to change it up! I am now runing Ragnaros and Anubisath Idol, just need a third choice to go along with it!

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » September 20th, 2014, 5:49 am

May I ask what is this team for?
Is it to start leveling and doing the tamer quest line?
If so then I would start a team like this
A mechanical, a beast , and a flyer pet since these three will be able to counter anything you run into.

So for mechanical here are a few to choose from:
Mechanical gnome, darkmoon tonk, son of animus, lil bling and a warbot these are some of the top ones from this class

For a beast:
Any cat specially darkmoon cat, sand kitten etc... They have good attacks against critters you will face a lot and a nice heal in devour. Any of the zandalari raptors, spiders these are some if the top beast pets

For a flyer: crow, raven or moth

If you want to play around a bit with a fourth pet dragons are next best class to go for since they counter flyers and magic types well.
Any whelp is good, proto or emerald drake are a few of the too ones here.

Undead really isn't a good class because next to no humanoids to battle but lots of critters which eat them up.
But they work well in pvp.
Humanoid is a good class too with the idol the top one in that class.

Hav fun and enjoy.
You will switch favorites multiple times as you level

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » September 20th, 2014, 9:35 am

I personally would not recommend Ragnaros and Anubisath Idol for wild battles. Ragnaros does weak damage against critters and there are a lot of critters. Anubisath Idol is more useful, but its main attack does either weak damage against beasts or else has a 50% hit chance.