Best way to collect rare pets via battling?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Headchopperz
Pet Score:1604
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu
Best way to collect rare pets via battling?

Post by Headchopperz » September 18th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Whats the best way to collect rare pets by battling for them.

For example, at the moment i need a rare Rapana Whelk. Should i be doing anything special in order to make farming them easier?

At the moment all im doing is joining a battle, and if none are rare, than i leave the battle. However, i was wondering if sitting through the whole battle is a better idea? To make sure that the next spawn is different.

Also, would it not be easier to just kill the critter with AoE if it doesnt have what i want, so when it respawns it might have what i need?

Cheers

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: Best way to collect rare pets via battling?

Post by Kpb321 » September 18th, 2014, 1:51 pm

If you battle a pet and forfeit right a way it will respawn very quickly and will have the exact same pets. To get a new set of pets you need to do one of a couple things.

1) Kill at least 1 pet before you forfeit.
2) Finish the fight completely.
3) Kill the pet with a normal attack after it respawns from forfeiting.

When I was farming rares I'd usually do #2 if I could get exp for a carry pet while doing it or they were so low level that it was quick. If I wasn't doing that I'd do #3. In some areas I do think that the regular critters share spawn spots with the battle pets so killing them might help get you more battle pet spawns.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 18th, 2014, 1:52 pm

No need to complete through the battle, the rarity of the pets in a group is determined the moment they spawn, so all the other pets in the area are already the rarity they are (I will admit I used to believe it too, that to increase the chance of rares I should complete EVERY SINGLE BATTLE... well, I did get the 5k battle achieve that way!)

You can directly target most wild pets and kill them if you want, to help force respawns, as areas seem to have a max capacity for battle pets. As a courtesy to other pet battlers though, I would not kill wild pets if someone else is actively battling in an area, or if the pet is harder to find (i.e. Minfernal, Unborn Val'kyr).

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Klaital » September 18th, 2014, 2:01 pm

I always just finshe the battles since I was always also leveling a pet, and you can get upgrade stones from any wild battle also if you complete it.

Headchopperz
Pet Score:1604
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Headchopperz » September 18th, 2014, 4:36 pm

Kpb321 wrote:If you battle a pet and forfeit right a way it will respawn very quickly and will have the exact same pets. To get a new set of pets you need to do one of a couple things.

When I was farming rares I'd usually do #2 if I could get exp for a carry pet while doing it or they were so low level that it was quick. If I wasn't doing that I'd do #3. In some areas I do think that the regular critters share spawn spots with the battle pets so killing them might help get you more battle pet spawns.
if you do #1, does how long does it take to respawn?

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 18th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Headchopperz wrote:
Kpb321 wrote:If you battle a pet and forfeit right a way it will respawn very quickly and will have the exact same pets. To get a new set of pets you need to do one of a couple things.

If you do #1 it's the exact same as the other 2 options, the pet grouping is "dead" and will not respawn. New pets will spawn in the area to replace it at whatever the normal spawn rate is for the zone and type of pet.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » September 18th, 2014, 10:55 pm

Headchopperz wrote:

Most except the rare spawn ones, like miniferal, unborn valk, and such respawn pretty quickly.