WoD ... pet pvp and magic pets plea

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us
WoD ... pet pvp and magic pets plea

Post by Tekulve2012 » September 13th, 2014, 6:08 pm

So I'm at about 1800 pet PvP wins and I enjoy it but I haven't been motivated to do it much since the 1k mark. It seems competition is better and better but I wonder if WoD will do anything to promote or boost pet PvP?

Also... Blizz. .. Could you make some decent battlers in the magic family?!?! It needs some love!

Blixtiya
Pet Score:10423
Realm:Madoran-us

Re: WoD ... pet pvp and magic pets plea

Post by Blixtiya » September 15th, 2014, 8:16 pm

to be fair, theres not that many magic pets all together, BUT I think youre underestimating enchanted broom, Nordrassil Wisp and (especially) Willy

JEC
Pet Score:5503
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by JEC » September 16th, 2014, 9:54 am

Not just with magic pets, but I'd like to see some way to compete with a greater variety of pets. I see the same handful of pets over and over. I'm just as bad, I have 710 pets (with duplicates) and I generally use 3-6 of them.

Something like battles with teams randomly generated from your pets might be fun.

Gulnarr
Pet Score:2379
BattleTag®:Gulnarr#1172
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Post by Gulnarr » September 16th, 2014, 10:16 am

Blixtiya wrote:to be fair, theres not that many magic pets all together, BUT I think youre underestimating enchanted broom, Nordrassil Wisp and (especially) Willy
The Nordrassil Wisp is super gimmicky; I've never liked it. The broom is alright, but both of its magic attacks have long cooldowns, and most of the ones I've seen don't even take clean-up. I know I've faced Willy several times before, but I can't really remember the battles so he must not have left much of an impression. Maybe those people just weren't using him right though.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » September 16th, 2014, 10:26 am

Willy may indeed be the best magic pet. I like the interrupt move and the tongue lash whams undead nicely.

I just see such potential for magic pets ..they have a half decent racial ability that mitigates dmg ..but there are simply so few good ones compared to other families.

Discodoggy has a great pet pvp blog and within it he tracked the specific pets and families used in over 500 battles. It proves out my point as Magic came in dead last. Some would argue that it's because there are fewer magic pets.. I say its because they are weaker in general.

The Jade Oozling has a p/p breed that I havent captured yet ..it's on my to do list as it is likely the most powerful magic pet atm.
------------------------------
Im wondering if other pet pvpers also would like to see more rewards (titles/pets/other types of stones ..pet xp goodies?)
I feel like ive been lucky with upgrade stones dropping for me after pet pvp wins (flawless of all types- maybe 1-2% drop rate)and I'm pleased with that reward somewhat

Genome
Pet Score:2401
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Genome » September 16th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Tekulve2012 wrote:Willy may indeed be the best magic pet. I like the interrupt move and the tongue lash whams undead nicely.

I just see such potential for magic pets ..they have a half decent racial ability that mitigates dmg ..but there are simply so few good ones compared to other families.

Discodoggy has a great pet pvp blog and within it he tracked the specific pets and families used in over 500 battles. It proves out my point as Magic came in dead last. Some would argue that it's because there are fewer magic pets.. I say its because they are weaker in general.

The Jade Oozling has a p/p breed that I havent captured yet ..it's on my to do list as it is likely the most powerful magic pet atm.
Willy is a decent pet; not great, but not terrible which I suppose puts him in the upper echelon of magic pets. He is pretty strong vs. undead, and against other things as well with a round of set-up (Rot->Tongue Lash), but his breed sucks against too many pets speed-wise, making his interrupt so-so, and Rot needs a shorter cd to be more effective. Still, I used to run into him on a pretty strong team that included a frog and a mountain panda (all had TMNT names), with Rot being a key move leading into a monster Mudslide hit from the panda for those who didn't see it coming. Nordrassil Wisp is indeed a gimmicky pet, and is really more of an annoyance than anything else, though having the s/s version is rather enjoyable against adder users. The Wisp may look decent with the Flash->Light combo, but a simple Shell Shield or Sandstrom/Stoneskin makes the dmg laughable, and it isn't all that powerful even without mitigation. A wisp using that combo will be ability-locked unless they also run with Arcane Explosion, which is also pretty lackluster.

Magic pets in general have issues with speed, lack of self-mitigation/survival/dodge abilities, dmg output (which is only really decent against flyers), and a terrible racial. That is not a recipe for success in the meta in it's current incarnation, or really in any form.

I really want magic pets to be more useful as well, but in their current state it is almost handicapping yourself to even use one, especially against higher-lvl pets. Even my favorite magic pet, the p/p Jade Oozeling, which I also consider possibly the strongest magic pet dmg/usefulness-wise (mostly because of his one-for-oneing crows/ravens/d. hatchlings), is only slightly better than some basic pets (i.e. bad breeds of rats or snakes), and far below other top-tier pets from their respective families.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 16th, 2014, 2:05 pm

I ran a S/S Nordrassil Wisp in my darkness team for a while and while it wasn't the most amazingly effective thing ever, I did get many of my 250 PVP wins with it. The obvious drawback is telegraphing Flash with Light, but in a darkness team you can at least mix it up a little since you can get the same benefit by using the weather instead of Light against non-elementals.

I also used a Spectral Porcupette towards the end of my PVP run instead of the Wisp. It's not something I've seen a lot of people using but it does marry decently with a darkness team, and since it's not a very popular PVP pet it seemed to stump some of my opponents more than the Wisp.

Sile9
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Sile9 » September 16th, 2014, 3:29 pm

The passive is incredibly underwhelming. You really have to limit yourself with breeds, and even then it will largely go unused in pet PvP due to the orientation toward DoT and AoE damage. The few PvP viable magic pets are so limited in defensives and healing options that there would be little point in using massive burst against them anyway.

I'd like to see them change it so that each Magic pets start outs with a passive charge, and if this charge isn't first consumed by triggering the "cannot exceed 35% health" aspect it neutralizes the damage of an attack that would have been a killing blow. That may offer some incentive to pursue breeds other than low HP as well as make magic pets in general slightly less situational.

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » September 16th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Genome wrote:Still, I used to run into him on a pretty strong team that included a frog and a mountain panda (all had TMNT names),
Krang, Rocky, and Bebop.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » September 16th, 2014, 5:38 pm

I really really like Enchanted Broom and Spectral Porcupette.