Fleeing in PvP pet battles

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Alien
MVP
Pet Score:5498
Realm:Feathermoon-us
Fleeing in PvP pet battles

Post by Alien » September 14th, 2014, 4:00 am

Up against another player, when do you flee?

I pretty much never flee. The few exceptions are generally RL-prompted. My personal reasoning is that:
1) I like pet battles, so I like doing them even when the odds look bad.
2) Fleeing towards the end doesn't really save a lot of time...and I might get lucky.
3) Fleeing at the start when facing an obvious stall team is letting the terrorists win.

That said, I get why people flee in a lot of cases. And usually people fleeing is quick credit towards achievements, so that's good. But recently I've been trying to level characters by mixing questing and pvp battles. If your opponent flees too early, you don't get any experience. Now I have a reason to be noticing when I hit a patch of fleeing. It's made me wonder why people leave. Some of them I think I get. Losing several times in a row to the same match-up isn't fun.

Others leave me scratching my head. Earlier tonight I was changing teams between every flee and this one opponent(his team wasn't changing) just kept fleeing immediately. I ran into this person several times in a row, a different team on my side each time, then later I ran into them a couple of times again, same result no matter what my team was. About the only thing I could think of was that my opponent did not want to face anyone who had named all of their pets. :)

So what about you? When do think it's better to flee?

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12239
Realm:Stormrage-us

Re: Fleeing in PvP pet battles

Post by Chibimage » September 14th, 2014, 10:51 am

I have never fleed a pet battle, even once. I out-stall a stall team.

I just am not a quitter, and so, I don't flee.

However, I've heard *ALL* the reasons for fleeing and if you like to flee, please, feel free. Makes no nevermind to me.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » September 14th, 2014, 11:28 am

Alien wrote:3) Fleeing at the start when facing an obvious stall team is letting the terrorists win.
This! I rarely forfeit a match, but if they are being deliberately annoying to try and force me to, I never do. It's a matter of principle!

If you've beaten me fair and square I will sometimes end the match a couple of rounds early, out of respect. Otherwise I fight to the end - you never know! I've had a couple of wins where I was almost certainly beaten and the other person stopped doing anything, perhaps due to DC or RL emergency. :)

Denverrunner
MVP
Pet Score:6503
BattleTag®:denverrunner#1152
Realm:Arathor-us

Post by Denverrunner » September 14th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Graven wrote:
Alien wrote:3) Fleeing at the start when facing an obvious stall team is letting the terrorists win.
This! I rarely forfeit a match, but if they are being deliberately annoying to try and force me to, I never do. It's a matter of principle!

If you've beaten me fair and square I will sometimes end the match a couple of rounds early, out of respect. Otherwise I fight to the end - you never know! I've had a couple of wins where I was almost certainly beaten and the other person stopped doing anything, perhaps due to DC or RL emergency. :)
This is my take on fleeing too.

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » September 14th, 2014, 6:23 pm

i have fled a couple of times at the start of a match if its the same opponent that just wiped the floor with me, i then usually either went and changed teams or gave up for the night, usually the latter. I have sometimes finished a match early when i have no chance of a win and i am on my last pet with little health and my opponent has at least 1 at full health or more.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » September 14th, 2014, 8:36 pm

I forfeit a lot. I forfeit when:

I have close match-ups with certain opponent. If a new person does not provide a challenge I forfeit instantly. I prefer to (possibly) have a fun match-up with previous opponents, especially if the score is 1-1.

During undead rounds (in case of a draw). I do do this if i like the idea behind their team, if I was lucky with RNG or if they were unlucky with RNG.

When I notice a new player. You can often tell. As long as they do not forfeit, I generally leave during the last round.

When I have lost (both pets have 100% moves + mathematically impossible to win).

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » September 15th, 2014, 8:45 am

I used to flee a lot. Whenever I felt like I was losing, tbh. But I've stopped that and found I win a lot more battles now. :lol: Now I flee when it's a lost cause. I mean, like when I'm down to one pet with only a tiny bit of HP and the other side has two pets up. Things like that.

Aalea
Top Rater

Post by Aalea » September 15th, 2014, 10:42 pm

I very rarely flee also. I feel that if they are going to put the time and effort into levelling pets and making a team to try to beat me the least I can do is play out till the end of the game.

Even if they are wiping the floor with me. There have been times where I feel there is no way I can win a game only to find that luck goes my way and I beat my opponent.

I know that people flee as to not waste time and get back into a game faster. I am probably in the minority here but I do find that quite rude. Especially if you have played well against a team that is supposed to be good against yours and then to have them flee when you start winning.

JEC
Pet Score:5503
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by JEC » September 16th, 2014, 8:53 am

Alien wrote:Up against another player, when do you flee?

I pretty much never flee. The few exceptions are generally RL-prompted. My personal reasoning is that:
1) I like pet battles, so I like doing them even when the odds look bad.
2) Fleeing towards the end doesn't really save a lot of time...and I might get lucky.
3) Fleeing at the start when facing an obvious stall team is letting the terrorists win.
Honestly, my time is worth more to me than making a point to an anonymous stranger.

I'll flee if it is obvious I am losing, for instance down to half a pet against two. I'll flee a stall team as well without a second thought. I'll do a couple of rounds and see if I get in some initial hits that throw off their strategy, but I do pet battles for my enjoyment and I don't enjoy watching things just heal themselves for twenty minutes.

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » September 16th, 2014, 4:48 pm

I usually forfeit when the raid starts dying and the raid leader wonders where the heck the healer(s) are.

Grinderman
Pet Score:9525
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by Grinderman » September 16th, 2014, 4:59 pm

:D :D I always wondered where they went!

JEC
Pet Score:5503
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by JEC » September 19th, 2014, 7:27 am

Sakurakira wrote: I've gotta say though, I've been the beneficiary of fleers. My last 15 or so "wins" for the 250 achievement were by some poor person who kept fleeing from me. I was a bit disappointed though, as they never once tried their skill and tried to fight, so I never knew if I would have won against that person or not.
That's how I got No Time to Heal. Someone left five times in a row without even a single attempt.