some help and questions

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Cd82
Realm:Ravencrest-us
some help and questions

Post by Cd82 » September 7th, 2014, 6:34 pm

so im having issues with a guide I cant post links yet but its on wowhead
and its called Leveling your First Battle Pets in a Day
and I am having issues in Dragonblight after I get my arcane eyes..
I have three of them two lvl 16s and one level 17..
so when I go to fight the dragonbone condors.
I get my backside handed to me using the arcane eyes..
any suggestions here ?? im trying to capture a high level pet to work with an get my others leveld

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: some help and questions

Post by Kpb321 » September 7th, 2014, 7:44 pm

I haven't done it personally but it should work. You might need to try to pick you first few fights carefully. The eyes are strong against the birds but not against all the adds. You want a flying pet or two in the adds and hopefully no blue or green quality opponents at first. The is also a guy to heal your pets at the tower and you'll need to use it.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 7th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Not familiar with the guide but I'm guessing the reason you're having a problem is that the condors are level 22-23, and your Arcane Eyes are 16-17, so they're going to have a harder time taking down the condor plus the two secondary pets. Also you didn't mention what quality your Arcane Eyes are... are they all rare? That makes a difference too when trying to take on a higher level group of wild pets.

Also keep in mind you can't capture a condor without having a pet of your own that's the same level (so if you're trying to get a level 22 condor, you need a level 22 in your journal already). Don't know if that's the case here or not.

Cd82

Post by Cd82 » September 7th, 2014, 7:58 pm

so one or two eyes and some type of flying pet? any suggestion a flying pet or any should work I guess?

Sibi
Top Rater
Pet Score:10062
BattleTag®:sibylline#1481
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Sibi » September 7th, 2014, 8:29 pm

2 greys n a green quality eye and they're his highest level pets...you're going to have a tough (probably super tough) time leveling those up in dragonblight...
(his armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/Misfitdemon/pet#status=is-collected)
I'm guessing this is the guide you're using....and it sounds like a pain and a needless bother to me
http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1865/leveling-your-first-battle-pets-in-a-day-5-4-0
you'd probably have better luck finding a guide here and using it
I'll do some searching and see if I can find you a better guide but (in my opinion) you're making your pet battle life more miserable trying to use this

**after re-reading the guide...I get the jist of what they're trying to do but it still doesn't seem like something I would've wanted to try just starting out. If you plan on getting serious about battling and collecting you'll want to get rare quality pets. I wasted a lot of time just collecting "whatever" then having to go back and re-collect for better quality. Catch the pets in one one zone...level them up catching all the pets in that zone and the pets in the next zone and so forth til you've got all the pets you want...do the lowbie zones on a low level alt so it feels like you're accomplishing more than just pet catching something about this guide makes it seem to me at least that you're taking some of the fun out of it

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Klaital » September 7th, 2014, 9:03 pm

One of the best anti-flying pets in the game, that also happens to be a wild pet and thus easy to get, is Nether Faerie Dragon. It is a dragonkin (flying attacks are weak against it) with full array of magic attacks (strong against flying). You can find them all over dire maul in Feralas, just go there and get yourself a rare one of those, it should be able to easily solo flying pets 5 levels above it. You can give it life exchange too to heal up on the second or third one.

Cd82

Post by Cd82 » September 7th, 2014, 9:28 pm

well from in the guide and from what I gather sure makes it seem easy to get your first high level pets.
but apparently its not the guide sure makes it seem a lot easier and the video makes it look like cake..
I wish the guide would say you have to have a high level pet of the same level to capture a level 20 or so pet.
well im just confused now thanks

a different guide would be great thank yall for the help an suggestions

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » September 7th, 2014, 9:48 pm

Yeah I took a look at that guide after making my post. It really sounds like they tried to simplify things way too much which oddly, makes it more complicated.

The "easiest" way to level your first set of 25s is really just to do wild pet battles and level your pets by grinding. I would suggest making one team with 3 different families (i.e. a flying, a mechanical, a beast) - the actual pets don't really matter that much but I would highly suggest choosing three rares - and go out and find pets that are slightly higher in level to grind on. So if you have a team of level 20s, then take on wild pets around 21-22. Your world map shows the levels of the wild pets in the zone.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 7th, 2014, 10:30 pm

Peanutty is incorrect. You can capture pets higher level than your pets. You can't learn pets higher level than you highest pet. Your issue seems to be not spending enough time on the eyes. You need to get better quality eyes and hopefully a couple levels on an eye while you doing that. Your first flying pet should hopefully be a dragon bone condor you capture.

This isn't the easiest way to do it. As peanutty said doing wild battles is the simplest. This method is meant to be fast.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » September 8th, 2014, 1:26 am

Really? *scratches head* I thought I remembered trying to catch pets higher than my max level pets wayyy back when and being unable to do so. But if I'm wrong, then the idea behind the guide makes sense because they're trying to "skip" levels to make things go faster (though it sounds like maybe a little too much of a jump).

I still recommend the slow and steady method. You'll pick up a wider variety of pets along the way which will help you in the long run, if you're planning on doing more pet battles. But if you're just trying to get to level 25 quick (i.e. to pick up the item for the double penguin boss in brawler's guild) then I guess variety and learning the nuances of the pet battle system isn't so important.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » September 8th, 2014, 6:03 am

Kpb321 wrote:Peanutty is incorrect. You can capture pets higher level than your pets. You can't learn pets higher level than you highest pet. Your issue seems to be not spending enough time on the eyes. You need to get better quality eyes and hopefully a couple levels on an eye while you doing that. Your first flying pet should hopefully be a dragon bone condor you capture.

This isn't the easiest way to do it. As peanutty said doing wild battles is the simplest. This method is meant to be fast.

It was long time ago for me but I also do not think you can capture pets higher than the max one currently has.
Even if possible doing it the way this BAD guide is suggesting is next to impossible.
You don't get the tamer hat(which makes leveling easier) or the upgraded pet trap this way.
I see a LOT of misses when trying to capture pets this way..
Easiest way to 25 is make a team like peanut said one beast, one mechanical, one flyer since this is what one will battle the most early on.
Do the quest chain to battle all the tamers working your way up they are in each zone and give great xp.
As one gets higher capture better pets as you go along and insist on rare unless taking forever and then get uncommon and hope to stone later.
Never waste time with less than uncommon unless going for a specific breed or one of the truely rare pets to catch like the valk or miniferal.
Enjoy it don't rush thru it you will miss a lot.
The whole point of the leveling process is learning to use these pets if you rush thru it once you do get to max level you will have problems with elite tamers, celestial tournament and pvp.

Dirkie
Pet Score:5479
BattleTag®:dirk#1435
Realm:Frostwolf-us

Post by Dirkie » September 8th, 2014, 11:35 am

I think you can capture pets of a higher level but it is very tough to do. First the pet loses some levels when being captured and if it is too high it will just wipe your team anyway. It has been a long time since I caught a wild pet where I had no level 25s.
I do recall Dragonblight though and it was VERY tough killing those Condors. As others have said pet battles are a journey NOT a race. Rushing to the next level usually leads to frustration. Take you time catch the rares and work on getting a few pets to 25 then tuck in a third pet to level. I spent a lot of time catching and leveling Arcane Eyes. As I recall one of my best pets was the Celestial Dragon (use Ancient Blessing) which you get after catching 150 pets. This is the first one I would level. Next get a Zandalari Anklerender and level as high as you can (use Primal Cry and Devour). If it isn't rare I wouldn't bother caging it unless you are really struggling finding a rare and you have a stone for it.
The other point which has been mentioned is you get great XP for your character as well so use a character which is not max level if you have one. Of course if you have alts then just post them at various low level trainers and level pets there each day as well (great pet XP).

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 8th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Quite a few of my guildies have used that guide with pretty good success. It's not my cup of tea, but I understand some late starters wanting to get some quick 25's so they can purchase some level 25 pets off of the AH.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » September 9th, 2014, 1:23 am

Dirkie wrote:I think you can capture pets of a higher level but it is very tough to do. First the pet loses some levels when being captured and if it is too high it will just wipe your team anyway. It has been a long time since I caught a wild pet where I had no level 25s.
When pet battles were first introduced, I'm pretty sure I remember being able to capture a level 5 pet with a team of level 4s and a level 3. It was my first level 5, but it was a poor quality pet and I replaced it fairly soon after.