Spectral Cub?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Marzanna
Pet Score:9278
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-us
Spectral Cub?

Post by Marzanna » November 27th, 2012, 11:40 pm

I tried to board search but don't see this has been mentioned, so if it has sorry!!!

Did anyone happen to notice there is now a "spectral cub" in the pet journal that states its obtained from the Blizzard Pet Store?
I'm excited for this as I never got the TCG one =)

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Spectral Cub?

Post by Quintessence » November 28th, 2012, 2:39 am

They haven't released any info on this yet. I wonder if they're going to start selling pet loot cards straight from the PetStore in the near future, or if this will be a special case. Or if this is just a bug. Or if it's a placeholder for another upcoming PetStore item.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Warlock
Top Rater
Pet Score:4667
Realm:Bloodhoof-us

Post by Warlock » November 28th, 2012, 4:22 am

Oh man, I really hope they'd doing another look-alike (sad that the only one they did aside from the "Landro's ____" which were common TCG pets was the Hippogryph which was the one uncommon I had :P). The TCG version is soooo expensive but it's one of the coolest looking pets out there :(

Oceanaia
Top Rater
Pet Score:5376
BattleTag®:Oceanaia#1971
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Oceanaia » November 29th, 2012, 4:09 am

Quintessence wrote:Or if it's a placeholder for another upcoming PetStore item.
I REALLY hope this is the case. Hippogryph Hatchling was my favorite unique pet until they released the Cenarion Hatchling. I was furious that my precious hatchling was no longer unique. If they do this to my now new favorite pet Spectral Tiger cub (these are not cheap on ebay btw) I think I'll have a problem. I wish Blizzard would try to keep pet skins unique instead of rehashing old models. Just my 2 cents..

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » November 29th, 2012, 4:39 am

Oceanaia wrote:
Quintessence wrote:Or if it's a placeholder for another upcoming PetStore item.
I REALLY hope this is the case. Hippogryph Hatchling was my favorite unique pet until they released the Cenarion Hatchling. I was furious that my precious hatchling was no longer unique. If they do this to my now new favorite pet Spectral Tiger cub (these are not cheap on ebay btw) I think I'll have a problem. I wish Blizzard would try to keep pet skins unique instead of rehashing old models. Just my 2 cents..
I think people shouldn't value things based on whether or not they are something others have. I like pets because I like how they look, not that they may or may not be rare. Just my opinion.

Though, they went so far as to put it in the pet journal so I'm fairly certain that its an upcoming Blizz store pet as the journal indicates. They like to provide alternate versions of the CCG pets it seems (the hippogryphs, Bananas/Baby Ape). I would not hold my breath for it to be anything but an upcoming $10 pet.

Oceanaia
Top Rater

Post by Oceanaia » November 29th, 2012, 5:13 am

Gilneas wrote:
I think people shouldn't value things based on whether or not they are something others have. I like pets because I like how they look, not that they may or may not be rare. Just my opinion.

Though, they went so far as to put it in the pet journal so I'm fairly certain that its an upcoming Blizz store pet as the journal indicates. They like to provide alternate versions of the CCG pets it seems (the hippogryphs, Bananas/Baby Ape). I would not hold my breath for it to be anything but an upcoming $10 pet.
I see things completely different. When you spend the time and money on something that's rare and difficult to obtain, it can be quite frustrating when all of a sudden they have something exactly the same available to everyone. Had I known Blizzard was planning to do this again I probably wouldn't have spent the money I did on some of these pets. It's very unfortunate and does feel like a slap in the face Blizzard is giving me.

Zerdolf
Pet Score:2868
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Zerdolf » November 29th, 2012, 9:02 am

Just my 2 copper but when I looked at them both in pet journal the only difference I could see was that the Spectral Cub was slightly smaller than Spectral Tiger Cub. I do hope there are some more differences once released.

8-)

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » November 29th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Update from Mumper:

"The Spectral Cub is the promo pet for BWC in China. The source will be updated in 5.2.0."
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Dodes
Top Rater
Pet Score:2931
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Dodes » November 30th, 2012, 1:30 am

Not to be a hipster about it, but I'm kinda glad the spectral cub is going to stay fairly rare.

Oceanaia
Top Rater

Post by Oceanaia » November 30th, 2012, 4:28 am

Quintessence wrote:Update from Mumper:

"The Spectral Cub is the promo pet for BWC in China. The source will be updated in 5.2.0."
Thank you Quintessence for the update. I had done some research and also came to that conclusion but I wasn't 100% sure.

Both Zerdolf and Dodes, I completely agree with you. I am very happy that the Spectral Tiger Cub will still remain the rare pet it is. :D

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » November 30th, 2012, 9:58 am

So how do I get one? Plane ticket to China? :D

Imthedci
Pet Score:2862
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Imthedci » November 30th, 2012, 10:05 am

Blah! Hate that Spectral Tiger Cub is so expensive on ebay... Was hoping this would force down the price to the "affordable" range. (Note that I agree about the uniqueness, I just wish the card wasn't so pricy) :oops:

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » November 30th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Talmar wrote:So how do I get one? Plane ticket to China? :D
It is all ready over, I believe.

Not to be a hipster about it, but I'm kinda glad the spectral cub is going to stay fairly rare.
The Spectral Tiger Cub will always be rare. The Spectral Cub (and any other future permutations) is/are in fact a different pet/s.

Nemukins
Pet Score:3187
Realm:Garona-us

Post by Nemukins » December 1st, 2012, 11:56 am

Oceanaia wrote:
Gilneas wrote:

I see things completely different. When you spend the time and money on something that's rare and difficult to obtain, it can be quite frustrating when all of a sudden they have something exactly the same available to everyone. Had I known Blizzard was planning to do this again I probably wouldn't have spent the money I did on some of these pets. It's very unfortunate and does feel like a slap in the face Blizzard is giving me.
That's exactly how I feel about the Celestial Dragon. It took me years to accrue the pets that I had before that pet came out, then once the achievement was implemented, I had the pet, and THEN months later, everyone and their mother had it because there are tamable pets all over Azeroth.

It sucks, but we have to deal with it.

Emberdione
MVP
Pet Score:11363
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Emberdione » December 3rd, 2012, 2:51 pm

Oy and vey.

Okay, so here's where I am, I came here to look it up, because I too wanted to know what was up with the Spectral Cub. It's listed, I was curious, and so I came to look.

Now, a different thing came up in this thread, and that's the issue of "rarity" and "difficulty" obtaining an item. Take a moment and really think about what you are saying. It's incredibly short sighted and a little bit mean.

You have something, you feel you put work and effort into it, and because of that you want to be "special" and no one else should be allowed to have it. How unfair is that? What if someone started playing WoW TODAY and got into pets only to find out they will NEVER be able to get a spectral cub just because you want to be a special snowflake? And what happens when you quit playing? And the new person still is? Your pets rot on a server somewhere never to be seen again and that new player could end up LEAVING the game because they feel like they can't be a part of something because people decided they wanted to be special and have something no one else could have.

Rarity in WoW is a fallacy. The rarity of an item is determined based on the people you play with, not WoW as a whole. Here's my example: In wrath, when the Sparkle Pony hit the mount store, everyone bought one. Everyone. Two months later, NO ONE was riding one, because they had all moved on to the new flavor of the month mount. But in my little guild of about 15 people, only two of us had the Sparkle Pony. But because of everyone being silly, TEN of us had Baron Rivendare's mount. So when we mounted up as a guild, the Sparkle Pony was much much more rare, due to the fact that no one had one. Things are only rare or common based on the people you play with.

I know people who started playing long after the Vampire Batling in Kara and the Olympic dragons were introduced and removed. One of them LOVES the dragon but can never get one. She will never have one. Despite it being her favorite pet. I don't ever bring mine out because it quite literally bums her out to the point she doesn't want to play.

As far as I am concerned, give it a different name, just like the Cenarian Hatchling, and do it. Give a feat of strength for having the TCG one or something. Put the TCG mounts and pets all up there. Let people buy them and collect them as much as they want. Your epeen is intact because you can point and say well mine is the Spectral Tiger Cub and yours is just the Spectral Cub, so look I am still a mad collector. They get to have a pet they really love and enjoy. Two weeks after the pet hits the store they will have moved on to a new pet and yours is just as rare as it always was.

And before someone says something about me wanting them, I have a spectral tiger cub. I had THREE hippogryph hatchlings before the Cenarian one hit. I have all the TCG pets. My husband paid $1000 to buy me a Spectral Tiger mount card, which I got long before the account wide mounts was even heard of. That doesn't show any "difficulty" or "effort" beyond clicking through eBay. It just shows I have stupid amounts of money to spend on PIXELS. It is just PIXELS. There is no effort involved in getting these pets. There is nothing special about them. There is no reason everyone shouldn't have a fair shot at them now. You have had years with them being your special pet. Now is time to realize it's better that everyone have a chance to have one. It shouldn't be an exclusive club limited only to people who have large amounts of discretionary income. If I had my way, you'd be able to buy every TCG and Collector's Edition pet from the pet store. It would just make life easier and I would get to have every pet I wanted, instead of spending hundreds of dollars that goes to re-sellers on eBay.

Also if you really want to show off effort, then do things like the crawling claw and lil' tarcogosa (sp?). Those take effort, and are still feasibly obtainable by everyone.

TL:DR - Pet collecting shouldn't be an exclusive club limited only to people who have large amounts of discretionary income.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » December 3rd, 2012, 3:06 pm

One thing I will say about all of this: If Blizzard wants to re-hash older pets and put them in the Pet Store under a new name, they have the right to do so. I just wish they would give them a different skin/color!

As someone that owned the Hippogryph Hatchling before the Cenarion Hatchling was released, I felt a little silly buying a pet that was essentially the exact same one except in name and item/spell ID. That didn't stop me from purchasing the little fella, though.

I don't regret it and I'd do it again, but it would be nice to see a slight difference in appearances of similar pets. Doesn't necessarily have to be so that they "stand out"; just a way to make them more interesting and appealing.

Emberdione
MVP
Pet Score:11363
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Emberdione » December 3rd, 2012, 3:20 pm

That's fair. I would like them to visually be marginally different. Like in the case of the hatchlings have one with purple feathers and one with blue feathers or something like that, but even that doesn't work on things like the Panda Cub (which oh man do I want one of.... but I didn't start playing WoW until Aug 05...). I suppose they could put a collar on it...

I just don't want them doing the ZA Bear thing. The first one looked good. The second one looked terrible.

Sparrowlab

Post by Sparrowlab » December 3rd, 2012, 5:06 pm

I wish they wouldn't put region-specific and unobtainable pets in the pet journal, then. Unless they plan on releasing those pets on the BMAH, all it does is serve as a reminder of something you have no way of acquiring.

Vasala
Pet Score:3795
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Vasala » December 3rd, 2012, 6:21 pm

I think all the region specific pets should appear in the Blizzard pet store in the other regions. So the people in region X get the chance to get them free and the rest of us at least have a way to get them.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » December 3rd, 2012, 6:28 pm

Sparrowlab wrote:I wish they wouldn't put region-specific and unobtainable pets in the pet journal, then. Unless they plan on releasing those pets on the BMAH, all it does is serve as a reminder of something you have no way of acquiring.
This is too true. Every time I try to look through the Pet Journal at the pets I still want to collect, I just can't. I mark the options to only see the pets I've not collected and all I can see are ones I can never even have. The Spirit of Competition still makes me sick when I see it, because I was playing when that was around and I simply was never able to get one.

The Clockwork Rocket Bot used to be the same for me, I wasn't playing my main during that time (my first experience playing an alt). I only had it on that alt for years and it made me so mad that I couldn't have just logged on and gotten my gift. Then last year they made it a random drop from the daily holiday bags, and hallelujah! (Now I have two, because of account-wide pets.)