A trick for finding the right colour of battle pet

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Wain
MVP
Pet Score:13914
Realm:Aman'Thul-us
A trick for finding the right colour of battle pet

Post by Wain » December 2nd, 2012, 9:49 am

Apologies if this has been mentioned here before. I couldn't see anything. I originally posted this on Petopia, but figured it'd also be useful here...

This is a trick that may help you find a particular colour variant of a battle pet that comes in multiple colours. It's something I found by accident, but perhaps others have already discovered it. I doubt it's intentional behaviour and have reported it, but since it's not an exploit in the sense of getting something that should be unavailable, and it still takes quite a bit of work and luck, I don't think it's a major issue...

If you're after a rare battle pet in particular colour, and you happen to find a battle where one in the wrong colour shows up as a secondary opponent, then you can quit or disconnect from the game without leaving battle. This will reset the battle pet in the wild. The types and qualities of the secondaries that come with it are also preserved, so they'll show up again next time you battle the same pet. But the colour of the secondaries is not preserved. Next battle they could appear in any of their allowable colours. So if you repeatedly reset the battle, you'll eventually see the pet in the colour you want. Of course this only works for secondaries. Primaries don't ever change.

The part where you can quit or DC from battle to reset a pet was already known and is intentional. It's also handy if you accidentally kill a pet you want to capture, or you forget to heal your pets before battle. Or you come across a rare you already have but decide to be really nice and leave it up for someone else.

The new part of this is just that repeating this will allow you to access different colours of secondaries.

Kinski
Pet Score:2342
Realm:Skullcrusher-eu

Re: A trick for finding the right colour of battle pet

Post by Kinski » December 2nd, 2012, 10:38 am

sounds interesting, thanks for sharing!

Fenriz
Top Rater
Pet Score:7296
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Fenriz » December 2nd, 2012, 3:05 pm

Nice one, same method can be applied to sharing a rare pet with a friend or if you can see the battle going bad.
Hadn't thought of the pet colour thing though :)

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 2nd, 2012, 10:38 pm

Thanks SO MUCH for this tip! Makes hunting for rare quality pets in specific colors so much easier. Now I can replace many of my old color-changers without too much hassle. :D
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Puluz
Pet Score:10206
Realm:Darksorrow-eu

Post by Puluz » December 3rd, 2012, 4:01 pm

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this yet but i just exited game after accidently killing arare that i needed, and when i logged back, that pet was nowhere to be seen anymore, as is... it didn't reset the battle as it used to do before patch 5.1. anyone else had this happen? :(

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 3rd, 2012, 4:20 pm

Puluz wrote:I don't know if anyone else has noticed this yet but i just exited game after accidently killing arare that i needed, and when i logged back, that pet was nowhere to be seen anymore, as is... it didn't reset the battle as it used to do before patch 5.1. anyone else had this happen? :(
This happened to me once, but after trying a second time with a different pet, the pet respawned as per usual. It might be a bit buggy now.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Wain
MVP
Pet Score:13914
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Wain » December 4th, 2012, 12:49 am

It's still worked for me, every time I've quit out from battle. And I've done that quite a few times lately.