PetBattleTeams addon

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu
PetBattleTeams addon

Post by Graven » August 29th, 2014, 3:40 pm

Does anyone else who uses this addon have a problem with it today? I logged on to find my battle pet slots empty (is it even possible to have empty slots here once you have put a pet there initially?) and all my pre-made teams on the sidebar have been replaced with ?'s.

Flx
Top Rater
Pet Score:10067
Realm:Kazzak-eu

Re: PetBattleTeams addon

Post by Flx » August 29th, 2014, 5:26 pm

yep had it a while ago however managed to fix it, go ESC > Interface > Addons > PetBattle Teams > Reconstruct teams.
that solved it for me and got all my teams back.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » August 29th, 2014, 5:33 pm

If you still have troubles after that, you might take a look at Rematch as an alternative. It can import PBT teams and has a really good search engine for finding just the right pets that you need. It is also actively maintained (PBT wasn't last that I checked). If anything you can at least try and see if Rematch can rebuild your teams and then you can manually add them back to PBT if you want to keep it.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Graven

Post by Graven » August 29th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Unfortunately the "reconstruct" option doesn't seem to be available to me (only offers import, lock all, unlock all, delete all and reset ui).

Any idea where the team info would be saved? I've tried looking through the addon folder, and opening some of the files in notepad but can't seem to find anything readable to salvage. I really hope it hasn't deleted all my teams. It took me ages (months in some cases) to work those teams out, and I hadn't thought to write them down or back them up somehow... :(

Flx
Top Rater
Pet Score:10067
Realm:Kazzak-eu

Post by Flx » August 29th, 2014, 6:08 pm

no clue tbh why you don't see that option, should probably check your version of the addon, it haven't been updated
in quite a while but maybe you still don't have the latest available version, can also try what was suggested in this older post
about the same issue: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6440

Graven

Post by Graven » August 29th, 2014, 6:26 pm

Yea I was using an older version, it was working fine so I hadn't updated ("reconstruct" option only available on the latest version apparently). I updated and tried clicking, but unsurprisingly that didn't work.

I did manage to find the file where the pet teams are saved (in the WoW folder under WTF > Account > accountname > SavedVariables > PetBattleTeams.lua if anyone is interested) but it's mostly gibberish to me and I can't figure out how to copy/paste it.

It's looking like I will have to try and redo all my teams from scratch, which is a pretty daunting and demoralising prospect at this time. :(

Thanks for the replies though, and to anyone else who uses this addon, be warned and make backups!

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » August 29th, 2014, 6:45 pm

Do try and see if you can rebuild them via Rematch. It has an import button that reads the PBT file and tries to build the teams from that. You'll still have to manually remake them in PBT, but since you can have both addons up at the same time, you can use the Rematch addon to visually help you remake them in PBT.

EDIT: you can also try installing a newer version of PBT and see if the reconstruct works. I don't know if that will mess with the file or not though.

Graven

Post by Graven » August 29th, 2014, 6:52 pm

I have tried that - it said it imported 71 teams, and the team names are there but all the teams are empty. :(

I can't think what I might have done that's corrupted the file. Seemed fine when I logged out yesterday, after a couple of tamer dailies. I might have caged a couple of duplicates on my trade alt after that, but nothing else that I can think of.
Last edited by Graven on August 29th, 2014, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » August 29th, 2014, 6:54 pm

All you can do at this point then is try and install a newer version of PBT and hope it can reconstruct them. Make sure to fully delete the folder for PBT in the addons directory and then install the newer version of PBT.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » August 29th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Graven wrote:I
I can't think what I might have done that's corrupted the file. Seemed fine when I logged out yesterday, after a couple of tamer dailies. I might have caged a couple of duplicates on my trade alt after that, but nothing else that I can think of.
You might not have done a thing. The reason a lot of these situations happens is that Blizzard changes the petID values of pets from time to time. They might have made a pass while getting ready for WoD. Newer Versions of PBT and Rematch look at the species ID in addition to the petID to help figure out which pet you had incase the process I mentioned above happens.

I haven't used PBT in a few months now because it stopped being supported back in Nov/Dec last year and I found an alternative that I liked better anyways. The author of PBT (and PBJEnhanced) has disappeared from the addon scene at the moment it appears. Their last communication happened back in December.

Graven

Post by Graven » August 29th, 2014, 7:12 pm

I guess I never realised using an out-of-date addon that still seemed to work fine could screw me over. :oops:

Looking at my version it seems I was using 3.1.3 which I got in April of last year and never updated - have now installed 3.2.6 but it can't reconstruct the list from a previous version it seems, so I really am SoL now.

Annoyingly, the information still seems to be in that lua file, but it's unreadable to me so I can't even rebuild the teams manually using that. This is a snippet of the file which seems to relate to the first team on my list.
["name"] = "Fabled aquatic",
["locked"] = true,
}, -- [1]
{
{
["abilities"] = {
112, -- [1]
256, -- [2]
517, -- [3]
},
["petID"] = "0x00000000016C5912",
}, -- [1]
{
["abilities"] = {
112, -- [1]
256, -- [2]
517, -- [3]
},
["petID"] = "0x0000000000DBA37E",
}, -- [2]
{
["abilities"] = {
1238, -- [1]
256, -- [2]
517, -- [3]
},
["petID"] = "0x0000000002962D4A",
}, -- [3]
["enabled"] = {
true, -- [1]
true, -- [2]
true, -- [3]
},
Time to start afresh with the teams I guess, if I can find the motivation. Don't think I'll be using PBT any more, heh. Rematch seems nice anyway, thanks for the recommendation on that one.

Oh, and BTW, does anyone else think it's about time Blizzard added this functionality to their UI? It's actually kind of ridiculous, when you think about it, to imagine people trying to pet battle without any option to save their teams...

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » August 29th, 2014, 7:28 pm

Well the numbers in the ability slots correspond to numbers in the wowhead database. Replace the last number in this string with the numbers in your example:

http://www.wowhead.com/petability=112

So the 3rd pets first ability is 1238, which comes out to be Dread Talons. That's from the Dread hatchling.

It might be slow to try and do this though.

Aalea
Top Rater

Post by Aalea » August 29th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Flx wrote:yep had it a while ago however managed to fix it, go ESC > Interface > Addons > PetBattle Teams > Reconstruct teams.
I wish I knew that the other day when it happened to me. I physically re entered all my pets. Also is there a way to sort your teams, IE move them around, I wanted to put them in the order that I do them.

Graven

Post by Graven » August 30th, 2014, 7:59 am

Aalea wrote:
Flx wrote:yep had it a while ago however managed to fix it, go ESC > Interface > Addons > PetBattle Teams > Reconstruct teams.
I wish I knew that the other day when it happened to me. I physically re entered all my pets. Also is there a way to sort your teams, IE move them around, I wanted to put them in the order that I do them.
Yea, in PBT just ctrl + leftclick drag the teams around to change the order.

Moksu
Pet Score:2148
Realm:Darksorrow-eu

Post by Moksu » September 13th, 2014, 12:34 am

Anyone else having problems with this addon? (teams not loading, or not switching when clicking) is there an alternate addon?

Voskres
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
BattleTag®:Vosk#1999
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Voskres » September 13th, 2014, 1:40 am

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11210

Grizzly_uk
Top Rater
Pet Score:7856
Realm:Hellscream-eu

Post by Grizzly_uk » September 18th, 2014, 10:21 am

I had this problem with PBT a couple days ago when I logged in after about a month away from WoW. Fortunately I have the latest version of PBT installed so the Reconstruct Teams option was available. After I'd clicked on the button to reconstruct my teams I had all my teams back but there were all greyed out and I couldn't select any teams. Solved that by simply summoning the first pet in the first team, after that all my PBT teams were back and fully functioning.

It wasn't just PBT that was affected either, I have a few pets slotted on one of my side action bars for quick summoning and all of those were just red ? icons as well! :o

I wasn't worried about having to rebuild my teams as I keep a seperate list of all my pet battle teams which I started when this problem first appeared last year.

Must admit to being a little worried over the absence of the PBT author, especially as WoD's release gets closer. :(
Playing WoW since 2005!