Enter Celestials at your own risk......

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Treponem
Pet Score:9939
Realm:Aszune-eu
Re: Enter Celestials at your own risk......

Post by Treponem » August 26th, 2014, 2:40 am

I found Zagam's guide on Icy Veins to be mostly very good. Just a couple of issues:

Against the Chen Stormstout/Taran Zhu/Wrathion team he uses Anubisath Idol twice so you either have to
i) Have two of them
ii) ensure he survives v Chem and use the Crawdad/Magic Lamp 'Wish' trick on Wrathion to heal him back up or
iii) use an alternate strat involving pets not needed elsewhere such as Black Rat, Kun-Lai Runt and Flayer Youngling

He also uses Lil' Tarecgosa v Wise Mari which many people don't have. Ignore his strat completely and solo with Molten Hatchling

The final 4 pet battles are simple. Two pets can be wiped out by the Pandaren Water Spirit/Chrominius strat. They will both survive the first fight v Chi-Chi and you can *Wish* heal them on Yu-la before using them again. The mechanical fight v Xu-Fu has only gone wrong once for me when I couldn't get an Ion Canon off. The final fight should be against Yu-La who can be soloed with Mr Bigglesworth.

I can't post links so Google Icy Viens Zagam's Celestial Tournament Guide

Let us know how you get on.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » August 26th, 2014, 2:47 am

Sounds like you dont have that many 25s? Imho, the first set of 3 trainers is the real challenge.

The celestials are pushovers in comparission, xufu, zao and chici can all be howlbombed with a single set of chrominius+pandaren water spirit, as long you cheese heal them with Wish on Yula. And bonkers can solo yula.

But as long you have suitable counterpets, you should be doing quite fine against the initial set as well. I could usually breeze through the tournament in a bit over 30 mins, but i got bored and stopped doing it after making a stack of 50% treats.

Caega
Pet Score:5857
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Caega » August 26th, 2014, 4:58 am

I spent many hours myself on my first Celestial Tournament win. I had only about 50 25's and repeated the first 3 fights many times trying not to loose too many pets. Once past the 1st 3 fights, I got through the celestials without repeat but only by a hair. I only had a few pets left and the last celestial I fought Chi-Chi got finished off with a lucky critical by the last pet in the team that was about to die.

The 1st Celestial Tournament win was the hardest. I took notes on each fight and just used the same strategy next time.

Never underestimate the power of lower level pets; even level 1s are useful. I used teams of level 1s to fight the celestials. They all got one-shotted, but I got to see the celestial's first few moves.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » August 26th, 2014, 5:04 am

The first CT is always hellish. Mine took hours and hours. :lol: Now it's like 15 minutes.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » August 26th, 2014, 5:10 am

While you do have a good amount of level 25 pets(177 according to your warcraftpets Collection) you do seem to have a huge amount of duplicates in those 177(like 3 emeral proto whelp, 3 emperor crab, 3 shore crab, 3 valks, 3 snowy owls, 3 kun-lai runts and so on). In reality you need about 50-60 of the correct pets and you are set.

It's really no use just throwing any pet into these match-ups. You will face much stronger pets but since you know what they are and what moves they will use you have to use this to your advantage in both which pets to use and what abilities to use.

If you could specify what opponents causes you problems the people here can try and help you find out which pets you could try using in your match-ups.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » August 26th, 2014, 6:43 am

The whole thing with the celestial tournament is it forces people to use pets they normally dont.
Also, one has to have backups because RNG is a pain in the ass in there too.

The first set of three boss's that rotate weekly are the toughest.
Tarhan zhu for example with his three panda monks one would think three undead would do the job but no they don't.
Best match up is a maggot or mr grubs first.
The first panda guy has a knock out kick which stuns and a feign death move the maggot can counter both.
With its burrow move can avoid the stun use it first move and on cd from there.
Sticky goo doesn't allow the opponent to leave battle so when it does feign death he goes nowhere us that second.
Finally the maggot has absorb which heals it and does damage to opponent being an undead pet it does extra damage use this as much as possible. Use maggot till dead usually can put a hurting on second one too.

Second panda guy likes to heal how do you slow that down?
Use a crow or a raven and use darkness healing is cut in half.
Then nocturnal strike is a big hitting move.
Spam alpha strike till dead.
Sometimes the crow can take down the last two

Final panda guy has a blind move go match up for him is blight hawk.
Use
Lift off to avoid blind move as you will be in the air.
Spam undead claw move till he is about 500 life or so
Then use ghostly bite it stuns you but if he is under 600 to 500 life it should kill him so stun won't matter.

If you need any other advice on matchups let me know I can give more.

P.s.
The best guide to the tourney I found was a you tube channel called wowpetbattles.
Elfuego who does these videos is great.
He tries to use easy to get pets and almost on all bosses in there has two strategies to use for them.

Sibi
Top Rater
Pet Score:10062
BattleTag®:sibylline#1481
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Sibi » August 26th, 2014, 7:03 am

I had nearly 200 lvl 25 pets the first time I strolled in to the Celestial Tourny (during the first week it was out). After a few hours of killing nearly EVERY pet each time I queued, I left. I was so disheartened it was months before I bothered to go back. :( lol
It gets easier. Promise. Look up the guides these guys suggested. Level the pets in said guide(s), follow the strats...tweak them if they don't quite work for you.

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » August 26th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Kendrah wrote:The first CT is always hellish. Mine took hours and hours. :lol: Now it's like 15 minutes.
I totally agree with this, sort of. My first time through took forever, and tons of restarts. But now I can usually walk through it pretty quickly. I wouldn't say 15 minutes, but it don't take too long.

The key is the right pets, not the bulk.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » August 26th, 2014, 1:47 pm

Seriously check out El Fuego's you tube videos they will save you hours and hours of frustration.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » August 26th, 2014, 1:51 pm

My first CT run took about 2 hours, though I had a full stable of 25s to throw at it. I could've read strategy threads but I wanted to try doing it myself, even though I know I'm not a strategist. Yeah it was hard, but it's "end game" for pet battles, so I don't mind the difficulty level, though I admit I wish there was a "save point" after the first 3 bosses. :)
Talalara wrote:I may save enough in game gold to possibly purchase those pets.
Incidentally the pets can't be caged, so you'll have to earn them if you want them.

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » August 26th, 2014, 2:43 pm

A large number of pets isn't a guarantee of completing the Celestial Tournament. Just like a high item level isn't a guarantee of being able to kill Garrosh. You still have to play the game and it's more about having the right pets than it is about having a horde of fodder to throw at the trainers until you get lucky.

I would suggest thinking your way through what the opponent's pets do. They're reasonably predictable (some more so than others) and if you know what's coming you can take steps to avoid or mitigate it.

And if you were having problems with Taran Zhu don't get discouraged. His monks are dicks.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » August 26th, 2014, 5:00 pm

The first time is definitely the hardest but once you've got good teams worked out it really isn't bad. I've been doing it every week since it came out because it's easy enough for me that it's a pretty good way to get valor.

I put together a guide that uses mostly wild pets or other fairly common pets. It is at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WRFc0_8-8YJy_umslj45Xv7gqOFoNl0tpQeMgxlcRqs/edit?usp=sharing

If you have any problems with any of the teams please let me know but they should all be pretty reliable. If you are having trouble with a specific fight you can definitely post on the forums and get suggestions from the members here. With ~200 lvl 25 pets including the duplicates you should have enough to do the tournament.

You are missing a Pandaran Water Spirit for the Bomb team and your Flayer Youngling, Cogblade Raptor and Zandalari Anklerender aren't the ideal breeds. The Flayer and Cogblade are much better when faster so both are better as s/s. The p/p Anklerender isn't bad but it happens to be the exact same speed as Xufu which makes it incredibly random to use it in that fight. Any other breed is faster than xufu and ends up doing a lot of damage to him and setting him up to be finished off by any number of pets. Another raptor with hunting party will do, a mechanical pet with batter or just something with a big blast like ion cannon should do.

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Rioriel » August 27th, 2014, 5:16 am

Head up, you'll get it!

As everyone's said, take time to read some guides, work on those pets, then go to town on the NPCs' bunnies and squirrels. First time through is the hardest, then it'll all click into place. It's as close as "end game" as we've ever had for Pet Battles, gonna have to work at it.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » August 27th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Rioriel wrote:Head up, you'll get it!

As everyone's said, take time to read some guides, work on those pets, then go to town on the NPCs' bunnies and squirrels. First time through is the hardest, then it'll all click into place. It's as close as "end game" as we've ever had for Pet Battles, gonna have to work at it.

Exactly this is suppose to be tough this is basically an end game raid for pet battlers.
Just like raiding some time is needed to be put into this to clear it.
Once one levels and has the pets needed, like raids needing gear.
Looks up the strategies, again like raids.
This becomes easier , and again like raids.

Once you put it all together this becomes a lot easier but RNG is always a problem so have backups and RNG can be a problem at times in a raid when the tank gets one shotted in a boss the raid team has on farm, it just happens.