Help me PvP

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Snorlax
Pet Score:1210
Realm:Blackrock-eu
Help me PvP

Post by Snorlax » August 13th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Hey guys,

I'm having a little trouble making good PvP teams. I just recently started the whole "pet-thingy", maybe a week ago, and leveled quite some pets to 25, did all tamers, fables and the celestial tournament. No problems at all,so I guess it's not completely my fault for sucking so hard at pvp :D

I just can't seem to make a good allround team. It doesn't have to win all the time and against everything, but every once in a while would be nice.
There are many Valk, Death Adder and some other nasty teams out there.

I understand it's rng, but it seems everytime I get someone a few times in a row and I decide to make a counter team to his, I get someone else, who destroys me again... and so on...

I tried a "fun-team" with Sunflower, Blossoming Ancient and Ruby Sapling. The strategy was to sunlight, hot and swap with the occasional damage hit. Stalling worked somewhat okay, but more often then not my pets got killed rather quickly. (When I encounter a sunflower I cant seem to kill it though).
I had a stalling match against a team with Magical Crawdad in it and managed to kill two of his pets, leaving the crab as last and it took forever and would have gone a few years hadn't he given up.
So that didn't seem a good team to play.

The other one I hat some success was Mechanical Dragonling, Darkoom Zeppelin and the Pandaren Water Spirit. Trying to Geysir and Whirlpool the enemy. Worked okay, so I was happy with that. Won me maybe 80% of the games.

But I really would have some diversity in my pvp teams. There are quite some teams I encountered, which I worked well, but I don't have those pets yet.

Everything else I threw together sucked really hard or I am too stupid to play them right.

Maybe someone can take a look at my pet collection and suggest a few teams that should work well and that I can try out.

I'd really like that. Thank you :)

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Re: Help me PvP

Post by Kel » August 13th, 2014, 3:24 pm

There's tons of posts already on PvP teams. Have look through those and see what you can find. ;)
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » August 13th, 2014, 4:19 pm

There may be as many as 5-8 pets in each family that can be competitive in pet PvP. An 80% win rate is about the best aanyone can hope for nowadays IMO so if its wins you're after stick with what you're doing and level pets that have abilities that intrigue you.

I recommend the smart pet search tool on this site for pets to counter the ones you see as tough

I recommend Discodoggy's pet PvP blog ..it has stats on the most commonly played PvP pets and great commentary on battlepet pvp decision making

If you google ' WoW pet PvP teams' ...its the first site to pop up
For real pet artwork lovers his screenshots are second to none too

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » August 13th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Name 2-3 pets that you would like to play with. I'll do my best to form teams around each of these pets (using pets that you have). I do not own Blossoming Ancient, Stunted Yeti, Corehound Pup nor Lofty Libram.
I am not sure if I will succeed, but I'll have fun helping you. My successes/failures could be of some use to you.

Snorlax

Post by Snorlax » August 14th, 2014, 7:05 am

The pets I like, I like are mostly just because of cosmetical reasons, not abilities. It's not like I want to have them in my teams for all costs. For pvp purposes I really don't care what I play. IT seems that I mostly like elementals, just because they look nice. But they get countered very often.

I'm not asking for an easy win op fotm team, but rather for a guideline what families or core abilities work well together and then I take it from there, since many pets share some abilities.
I realize pvp often comes down to rng and what opponent you face. So it really isn't a question about a strong team, because it can get easily countered anyway.

My thing is that I read some abilities I like or did see opponents with a cool pet and try that in my team... and then I lose hard... :(
I just want to make a few "good" teams to be able to switch between them and add some diversity to my games and of course to ensure my opponent can't make a hard counter for my team when he gets to fight me repeatedly.

Later I will level my S/S Death Adder and try it out myself, after losing many times against it (this pet should srsly get nerved).

The main problem I'm facing is that the pvp I'm doing feels like first see what opponent I get, lose multiple times, try to make a counter, get some other opponent, lose again, and so on... Very very reactive paly. I don't like this.
I'd rather have a few teams and go into battle knowing I at least have a change unless I face a hard counter team.
Have some fun and switch between teams.
Wins are nice, but I don't demand to have a 90% win ratio, anything that makes fun is okay as long as I get out of my losing streak, which is really frustrating.

Awq

Post by Awq » August 14th, 2014, 11:06 am

The main problem I'm facing is that the pvp I'm doing feels like first see what opponent I get, lose multiple times, try to make a counter, get some other opponent, lose again, and so on... Very very reactive paly. I don't like this.
It is expected that you get another opponent, assuming that there are plenty of opponents.
You are queued against people who queue around the same time as you. If you make a counter, you will generally meet a different opponent. You have joined the queue later, because it took you time to create the counter.
The pets I like, I like are mostly just because of cosmetical reasons, not abilities. It's not like I want to have them in my teams for all costs. For pvp purposes I really don't care what I play. IT seems that I mostly like elementals, just because they look nice. But they get countered very often.
I guess you do not have much preference! I will test some teams tonight ^^

Genome
Pet Score:2401
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Genome » August 14th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Snorlax wrote:I just want to make a few "good" teams to be able to switch between them and add some diversity to my games and of course to ensure my opponent can't make a hard counter for my team when he gets to fight me repeatedly.
Just looking at your lvl 25 pets, I can see the potential for a few strong teams. Here are a few examples:

Skywisp Moth / Clockwork Gnome / Fiendish Imp - This is a "Lightning Storm" team, as the Lightning weather will effect both the CG's Turret, as well as the Imps Immolation. This team has the added perk of countering Adders very well (the moth is faster than the adder when the racial is up, and thus can put a big Thunderstorm hit against it, and the CG's turret hits through blinding poison two out of three hits), and the Imp does his disruptive thing while damaging from the backrow and healing at the same time. Try not to leave the moth out much though as you want to keep his racial, especially for cleanup duty.

Scourged Whelpling / CG/ Fel Flame - Same idea as the Thunderstorm team, though this time you will be going for a Regen team. You could use the Imp as well in place of the Fel Flame, but the FF has the potential for three DoT regen going at once (Immolation, Scorched Earth and Flame Breath). The SW is fairly tanky, but I would recommend that you hunt up the H/H version if possible as he is slower and thus Tail Sweep will be more likely to hit twice (added regen for the second hit is what is so nice about it), plus you can take better advantage of the undead racial.

Nether Fairy Dragon / Xu-Fu / Terrible Turnip - This is something of a "hybrid" group, and is pretty good at beating a few of the strong comps out there. You can use the NFD for anti-crow warfare and a weather switch. Xu-Fu you can run as either anti-flyer, or big dmg and heal. Either way he is potent. A prowled Feed under Moonlight weather is a sight to behold! Also, this group is strong vs. adders as well as if the weather is Moonlight, Spirit Claws ALWAYS hits, even through BP. Most adder players seem unprepared for this. The turnip may seem a bit out of place, but I have been using him more-and-more lately as he is so versatile. First off, he can counter clonedancer setups with Tidal Wave, and while he should NOT try to face a Jademist one-on one, I like to use Sons of the Root on the round after the Jademist uses Acid Rain as a Rain Dance is sure to follow, and this will put you out of harm's way for three rounds, and effectively negates the RD buff. Just be aware that this tactic generally only works against the same player once :). I find the key to Turnip effectiveness is to try to get off SotR at least twice during a fight, so don't think of him as something that will sit on the front line taking hits. He is also decent versus Valks with SotR. It is funny to watch a valk user first waste CoD on an immediate Turnip SotR, followed by two Haunts that miss while he takes a little dmg in the process, then to switch in the Valk soak pet. Finally, the Turnip is better than average against crows for the reason of the Elemental racial, which means that NS will have only a 50% hit chance against him, regardless if Darkness is up or not, making him a good choice to soak a NS in an emergency. Besides, you can always SotR on the Darkness round and get some dmg in to try and peel the racial form the crow, which really hurts NS teams.

Those are just a few ideas. I would STRONGLY recommend that you get a P/P Emperor Crab to 25 ASAP as he will wind up in lots of counter teams :)

Snorlax

Post by Snorlax » August 15th, 2014, 12:09 pm

Genome wrote: Skywisp Moth / Clockwork Gnome / Fiendish Imp
Haha, I just tried this and it seems I'm too stuipd for it, because I always seem to kill myself with the lightningstorm. But it was fun non the less :D
Genome wrote: Scourged Whelpling / CG/ Fel Flame
This works quiet well and got me some wins. Yuhuuu.
Genome wrote: Nether Fairy Dragon / Xu-Fu / Terrible Turnip
This team rocks. I'm running NFD with 2,2,1 - Xu-Fu (who I like as pet) with 2,1,2 and Turnip with 2,2,2.
So for this theam got me the most wins and is pretty consistent. The self heal and burst from Xu-Fu is awesome and scary at the same time. The turnip I mostly use for the group heal and I like heal, SotR, heal a lot. I didn't use tidal wave at all so far, I don't leave the turnip out that long, just for the healz.

Thank you very much for your team suggestions and detailed explanations. I'm having lots of fun with them 8-)

Awq

Post by Awq » August 19th, 2014, 11:45 am

Unborn Val'Kyr, Rascal Bot, Fiendish Imp

This is a team that is supposed to control the enemy. This team allows you to control the pace of the battle, especially when you are faster. This team relies on damage from the Unborn Val'Kyr, although Rascal Bot can do some heavy damage too!

Unborn Val'Kyr (x-2-1)
The Unborn Val'Kyr is the main damage dealer of the three. The Unborn Val'Kyr has strong delayed damage. It can do 1300 damage in 2 turns, or effectively one round when it is faster. Your other two pets can stall, which gets more use out of the Val'Kyrs damage (although some of it will be wasted).
I used a H/H Unborn Val'Kyr. B/B is the optimal breed for this team. The additional speed helps in mirror match-ups.

Rascal-Bot (1-2-1)
The Rascal-Bot is a cute looking pet. It however is a strong individual pet, especially against flying pets and pets that are slower. It can gain a turn-advantage through its stun and phaser does decent damage! It can do heavy AoE damage through its suicide move.
Rascal Bots role in this team is to stall or to gain control over the match-ups through stuns. The two rounds that the enemy pet is stunned means that Curse of Doom will hit 2 rounds 'sooner' + 300 damage from Haunt. It however can stand on its own when things fail.
Its AoE suicide move can be used in a unusual way. When you are behind (or in other situations) you can suicide when you expect a Haunt from the Unborn Val'Kyr. You have now killed the enemy, while hurting their team. This tactic should only be used as a last resort.
I used a S/B Rascal-Bot. S/B is the optimal breed for this team. Gaining an additional rounds through stuns is important.

Fiendish Imp (1-1-2)
Fiendish Imp's taste in earrings can be questioned. Some people like this pet, and it has its uses in pet battles.
The pet is quite versatile. It can do decent delayed damage through Immolation, which allows it to heal itself in the background from the Humanoid racial. It has Burn, which is a weak-ish attack that hurts elementals. It also has Nether Gate, which forces a pet to swap into battle. Nether Gate can also invalidate the enemies combos and tactics.
The role of the Fiendish Imp is to provide stalling. Nether Gate forces* your opponent to swap the pet back in or to eat Haunt-Curse of Doom in the background. It also can take a few hits due to tis selfheals. Immolation goes through decoys, which is useful in this meta game. This pet creates options.
S/S breed is mandatory. Using a slower version of this pet will break this team.
*I say force, but this is not true. Nether Gate uses fixed rules. If the enemy anticipates a Nether Gate, one can get the most favorable match-up. This means that you have gained one round, for a possibly less favorable match-up. Luckily, most (90%+) of the players are unaware how Nether Gate works.

Tactics
This is a team based around the speed of Fiendish Imp and Rascal-Bot. Meeting faster pets will counter this team. Sometimes you can work around the lack of speed, but it will be difficult. This is why the Rascal-Bot shines. It counters flying pets, which are always faster.

I generally open in 2 ways. You start with either the Unborn Val'Kyr (preferred) or you can start with the Fiendish Imp. Fiendish Imp can do some damage, Gate but most importantly ideally get an Immolation of. It is important that it stays alive. After this you swap into Unborn. It requires some experience to know when you use the Imp (I like the Imp opener against Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, teams with combo's, aquatics and even Val'Kyrs).

However, the ideal opener would be fighting three pets that are slower than both the Fiendish Imp and Rascal Bot. This allows you to use combos. I could use (optional Curse of Doom) Haunt -> Rascals stun -> Swap into Imp -> Gate. Your opponent has been unable to do anything for three turns, while haunt does its damage. You can repeat this combo many times and you most likely win without any pet dying.

When pets are faster it becomes slightly more difficult, but this team is equipped to handle it. The course of the battle becomes less straight forward however.

Synergy:
Nether Gate with the Curse of Doom and Haunt combo (stalls)
Crystal Prison with the Curse of Doom and Haunt combo (stalls)
Immolation with the Curse of Doom and Haunt combo (healing)

My match-ups:
W2 Death Adder, Kovok, Infected Fawn; W2 Celestial Dragon, Anubisath Idol, Pandaren Fire Spirit; W Unborn Val'Kyr, Kun-Lai Runt, Alpine Foxling; W Magical Crawdad, Singing Sunflower, Celestial Dragon; W Clock Ém, Eternal Strider, Lil Tarecgosa; W Alpine Foxling, Wild Golden Hatchling, Qiraji Guardling; L2W Unborn Va'Kyr, Chi-Chi, Alpine Hare; W Unborn Val'Kyr, Dread Hatchling, Anubisath Idol; W2 Anubisath Idol, Fel Flame, Clockwork Gnome; W Wild Jade Hatchling, Spirebound Crab, Cogblade Raptor; W Fossilized Hatchling, Mechanical Dragon, Enchanted Lantern

My only two losses have been against the only opponent who knew how the swap works. He also had pets who were faster than my Imp and Rascal Bot. This gave him the advantage.
I started my first match with Fiendish Imp against his Unborn. He swapped in his rabbit, so the Unborn would be brought out. I could not get Immolation off nor could I control the match. I slowly died.
The second time I haunted when he Haunted (I felt like taking a risk), and I died. The third time I won because I knew which moves he would make. I did not swap the Unborn and it was Imp vs rabbit. This allowed me to burn his Val'Kyr which was a win.
Last edited by Awq on August 19th, 2014, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Awq

Post by Awq » August 19th, 2014, 11:56 am

Unborn Val'Kyr, Blighthawk, Singing Sunflower

This is a very slow team with a lot of survival. You should not use this team if you plan to farm wins. Wins take too long, you could win 2-3 matches with other teams in the time that it takes to win one. It however has a good winrate (for me) and I like its playstyle. It also counters teams that the Rascal Bot team struggles with.

Singing Sunflower (2-1-2)
The Singing Sunflower is the tank of this team and provides the weather effect. Photosynthesis combined with Sunlight heals for 200 each round, and can heal in the background. It also sets Sunlight, which is a weather effect that the Blighthawk benefits from. It also has Solar Beam, which can be useful to kill off a pet.

Unborn Val'Kyr (1-2-1)
The Unborn Val'Kyr is the damage dealer of the three. The Unborn Val'Kyr has strong delayed damage. It can do 1300 damage in 2 turns, or effectively one round when it is faster. Its main weakness (besides counters) is that most of this damage is usually wasted. Half the damage comes after 5 turns. When you combine the Unborn with other pets that can survive well, or have other ways to stall, the Unborn can effectively do damage.
The goal for the Unborn Val'Kyr is to take as little damage as possible, while doing most of the teams damage. It also provides corpses for the Blighthawk.
This pet is weak against Shields, Aquatics and pets with control.
H/H breed is optimal for this team. The additional health helps a lot.

Blighthawk (2-1-1)
The Blighthawk is the other tank of this team. It has a strong heal (Consume Corpse) that heals for 50% of its health, which means 75% of its normal health when Sunlight is up. Consume Corpse can be used every 5 rounds, which has good synergy with the cool down on Sunlight. It also provides avoidance.
Its goal is to stay alive and soak damage. It also is the only counter to aquatics that this team has. Aquatics are a weakness to this team, and the Blighthawk provides decent coverage.
H/H breed is optimal for this team. H/H has great synergy with the Sunlight weather effect.

Tactics
You start with either the Unborn Val'Kyr or with Singing Sunflower. I start with the Singing Sunflower against teams when I expect Unborn Val'Kyrs, avoidance pets, or Aquatic pets (without Blood in the Water). I open with Heal+Sunlight. This allows the Sunflower to heal to 150% hp in the back-row. Setting up the weather early is usually a good thing, and the Unborn Val'Kyr can take a hit. However, I prefer the Unborn Val'Kyr as opener when there is no immediate threat to the Unborn.
The idea is to keep the health of the Blighthawk and the Sunflower at 150%. They stall while the Unborn does its damage over 5 turns.

A game could look like:
Curse of Doom -> Haunt -> Photosynthesis -> Sunlight -> Swap Blighthawk -> Slicing Wind -> Consume Corpse -> Swap Unborn. In the optimal situation your enemy will have 1 dead pet while you have 2 pets at 150%. From here on you focus on keeping your pets at high HP, while doing damage with the Unborn (or to provide a corpse for Blighthawk) when it is safe.

Do not drop Sunlight unless this is a specific element of your strategy. 2 of your pets will effectively take 33% damage if you lose Sunlight. Anticipate stuns and other control mechanics.
Be aware of weather effects. This team is still decent without Sunlight as long as you do not get surprised by them. Check if your enemy team has a weather effects, and if they do have a weather effect, create a strategy of how you plan to work around it.

Synergy:
Haunt with Consume Corpse (provides corpse)
Photosynthesis with the Curse of Doom and Haunt combo (stalls through healing)
Consume Corpse with the Curse of Doom and Haunt combo (stalls through healing)
Sunlight with Consume Corpse (additional healing)
Sunlight with Photosynthesis (additional healing)

My match-ups:
W Emerald Proto drake, Forest Moth, Enchanted Broom; W Emerald Proto drake, Forest Moth, Eternal Strider; W Emerald Proto drake, Forest Moth, Crystal Beetle; W Aspect of Souls, Untamed hatchling, Death Talon Whelpguard; W Unborn Val'Kyr, Flayer Youngling, Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling; W Crawling Claw, Emerald Proto Drake, Tranquil Mechanical Yeti; W2 Unborn Val'Kyr, Death Adder Hatchling, Tranquil Mechanical Yeti; W Skunky Alemental, Nordrassil Wisp, Rascal Bot; W Xu-Fu, Unborn Val'Kyr, Scourged Whelpling; W Lil Ragnaros, Ashwing Moth, Eternal Strider; W Unborn Val'Kyr, Murkalot, Creepy Crate; L Unborn Val'Kyr, Death Adder, S/S Imp; W Jademist Dancer, Anubisath Idol, Magical Crawdad

I have only had one loss, an unneeded loss. I completely had the match-up. Everything went according to plan. I managed to get a Curse of Doom off on his Val'Kyr while he swapped his in. I however used a follow up Haunt as he did use Haunt (we were the same speed). It was a 50% I would win the Haunt round, but I expected a Curse of Doom. It felt so slow to skip a turn. If I had swapped into the Blighthawk/Singing Sunflower without using Haunt I would have easily won.
Lesson: Be aware of when you use Haunt against pets with suicide moves.

This team easily won versus any opponent that I met. I however should have a difficult time against Blood in the Water teams and Darkness teams. Luckily, the Rascal-Bot team counters both these opponents. Both these Valk teams provide good coverage for each other.

Edit:
I just noticed that your picture has the Blossoming Ancient. I do not own this pet. On paper you could replace the Singing Sunflower with the Blossoming Ancient. This would create a more versatile team, although I do like Solar Beam burst.
Last edited by Awq on August 19th, 2014, 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Awq

Post by Awq » August 19th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Blighthawk, Nexus Whelpling, Alpine Foxling
This team has quick matches. It is a burst team that quickly kills opponents. It is a team made around Arcane Storm, and to a lesser extent Dazzling Dance.
It is less all-round than the Val'Kyr teams and you will win less often. Your victories will be quick. I assume that a burst team like this will result in more wins/hour than the other teams.

Nexus Whelpling (2-2-2)
The Nexus Whelpling is a fragile pet that can do serious damage. It has a strong combo with Arcane Storm followed by Mana Surge. Combine this with the dragon racial and this pet does serious damage. Two shotting tanky pets is not uncommon (not including Arcane Storm). It sets Arcane Storm, which the Blighthawk benefits from.
The main weakness (besides it fragility) of this pet is that Mana Surge only has a 80% hit chance. 80% hit can pretty much influence the outcome of battles. I personally dislike the RNG, but then again people also use Anubisath Idol.
It is also weak against mechanical pets and pets with good defenses (as in Crouch).
P/P and P/S are the optimal breeds. I used a P/P.

Blighthawk (1-2-1)
The Blighthawk is the other burst pet of this team. It has Ghostly Bite, which doesn't stun the user when Arcane Storm is up. This allows for high damage that can be a serious threat to most pets.
It also provides the only avoidance that this team with Lift-off. It either is a free round until you can Ghostly Bite again, or it can shut down the enemies tactic (as in Geyser/Whirlpool combo from Pandaren Water Spirit for example). Lift-Off will win you games.
P/S is the optimal breed. I used a H/P Blighthawk. Ghostly Bite scales well with the additional Power. 341 speed (with Dazzling Dance) is good too.

Alpine Foxling (2-1-2)
The Alpine Foxling is the defensive pet of the three. It can 50% damage when Crouch is up. This provides variety from having 3 burst pets and it is an answer to the current meta game.
It can do damage with Flurry, which is a critter attack. Flurry destroys decoys in 1 round.
It also provides a group buff through dazzling Dance, one that increases the speed of the whole team. The additional speed is amazing for the Nexus Whelping. Being faster than the opponents allows it to stay alive for 1 more round (and do 2 additional attacks). Lift-Off also becomes more reliable when you are faster. Lift-Off turns into a 2 round avoidance when the speed buff is about to fall off.
The move-set is great, and this pet is an answer to all the Val'Kyrs out there. It does 40% damage additional against undead and it can soak Haunt/Curse of Doom with Crouch.
S/S might be the optimal breed (I am not sure). I used S/S.

Tactics
There are no specific tactics for this team. You have to adjust your tactics every match-up.

There are two great opener pets. The Nexus Whelping can set up Arcane Storm. You can then swap into Blighthawk or you can use Mana Surge.

The other opener is Alpine Foxling. I would use Alpine Foxling against Undeads and quite a few other pets.
Which abilities you use depends on the opponents, it is often reactionary. Let's say that you fight an Unborn Val'Kyr. If they Curse of Doom I would use Flurry > Flurry > Crouch > Flurry/Swap. If they start with Haunt I would use Flurry > Crouch > Flurry/Swap.

You become better through experience. Through experience you will learn which match-us are favorable. This will win you games. I can not really help with specific tactics, because this team is very reactionary.

Synergy:
Arcane Storm with Mana Surge (additional damage)
Arcane Storm with Ghostly Bite (no self-stun)
Dazzling Dance with Flurry (additional hit)
Dazzling Dance with Lift-Off (additional round of avoidance when it is about to fall off)
Dazzling Dance with Nexus Whelpling (gives high damage pets with no avoidance an additional round of damage)

My match-ups:
W2 Unborn Val'Kyr, Stitched Pup, Magical Crawdad; LW Cogblade Raptor, Tranquil Mechanical Yeti, Clockwork Gnome
W3 Pandaren Fire Spirit, Anubisath Idol, Celestial Dragon; W Toenibbler, Phoenix Hatchling, Clockwork Gnome; L Jademist Dancer, Lil Bling, Fiendish Imp; W Death Adder Hatchling, Unborn Val'Kyr, Gilnean Raven; L Mr Wiggles, Unborn Val'Kyr, Death Adder Hatchling; W Fiendish Imp, Death Adder Hatchling, Fel Flame; W Nether Ray Fry, Zandalar Kneebiter, Thundertail Flapper; W Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, Death Adder Hatchling, Voodoo Figurine; W Small Frog, Kun-Lai Runt, Terrorspine

RNG has a big effect on the outcome. If you miss two Mana Surges in a row it becomes very difficult to win. It is also very easy to make mistakes.
You should have the advantage against slow/tanky teams.

Awq

Post by Awq » August 19th, 2014, 1:51 pm

I played some other teams as well. I did not like these teams and I did not play them for many matches.

Other teams:
Skywisp Moth, Clockwork Gnome, Corefire Imp (winrate 40% in 5 matches)
This is the same suggestion as Genome did, but I use a different imp. I prefer the Corefire Imp for this team, because it has Wild Magic. Wild Magic has good synergy with both Lightning Storm and Turrets. This team is weak against undeads, and I fought strong undead teams in my three losses
Note: I would ideally replace Corefire Imp with another Wild Magic/Black Claw user like Senjin Fetish. I would skip the Call Lightning or else I would use a H/S Tiny Twister.

Unborn Val'Kyr (1-2-1), Emerald Proto Whelp (2-1-1), Fiendish Imp (1-1-2). Winrate 60% in 5 matches
It is a weaker version of the first Val'Kyr team that I posted. I wanted to test the importance of the Rascal Bot, because I was unfamiliar with the Imp+Unborn combo. The Proto Whelp has avoidance (fly) and a heal. It however lacks the control that the Rascal-Bot provides. A stun is stronger and provides more options!

Lil Tarecgosa (1-2-1), Clockwork Gnome (1-2-1), Blighthawk (1-2-1). Winrate 71% in 7 matches
This is a Wild Magic / Arcane Storms team. Tarecgosa is a buffer. Blighthawk benefits from Arcane Storms. Clockwork Gnome benefits from Wild Magic. I wanted to create a slightly more diverse Arcane Storm team. It did work out, but I did not like it.

Anubisath Idol (1-1-1), Emerald Proto Whelp (2-2-2), Singing Sunflower (2-1-2). Winrate 67% in 3 matches.
3 pets that can take a beating. It has Shields and Heals. There is some weak synergy between Emerald Proto Whelp & Singing Sunflower during Sunlight. You should not swap much though, because of the Idol. I generally can't really play any team with an Anubisath Idol, it makes me want to forfeit.

Darkmoon Tonk (1-2-2), Electrified Razortooth (1-2-2), Kun-Lai Runt (2-2-2). Winrate 67% in 3 matches.
The goal is to make difficult trades through Minefield. For example. Kun-Lai Runt will do double damage when the opponent is stunned. They can swap out, but then they will take a Minefield. The same goes for with Bleed and Blood in the Water.
However, this team felt off so I dropped it. I would have preferred Warbot for this specific team (yours is uncommon), the speed is important. I did a lot of elemental damage, I would prefer to replace Kun-Lai runt with something else.

Darkmoon Tonk (1-2-2), Fiendish Imp(1-1-2), Kun-Lai Runt (2-2-2). Winrate 0% in 3 matches.
This team follows the same principle. This team however has two humanoids. I fought a Fossilized Hatchling AoE team and a strong undead team. Ah, and I made errors.

I had some fun with this throughout the weekend :D
I might tweak the Darkmoon Tonk + Electrified Razortooth team though.
Last edited by Awq on August 19th, 2014, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wilderness
Pet Score:3494
Realm:Greymane-us

Post by Wilderness » August 19th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Thanks for your write-ups Awq - very informative and its given me some ideas.

OP - I see you have a vengeful porcupette, I'd level it up. Its really strong right now against several of the more popular pets. I've been using it a fair bit recently and I really enjoy it. Most commonly I've been using it with a Senjin Fetish and an Imp but you don't have the fetish or a voodoo doll as a possible replacement. But there's a lot of other teams it can do well on, I'm just starting to experiment with it.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » August 21st, 2014, 10:48 am

Hey, AWQ, I think you might have been fighting me with the rabbit/Valk team. I usually run that team for my ten weekly wins, just so I can stand at the quest giver and get them out of the way quickly. Was running It Tuesday and kept running into the exact composition you were using, with each fight turning into a virtual chess match. When not doing my weekly, I tend to usually run my more experimental teams

Awq

Post by Awq » August 22nd, 2014, 9:22 am

I'm pretty sure that we fought each other. Neither my setup nor your setup is common.
It was fun. I can always appreciate a good pet battle chess game! You were the only one who defeated that team ^^
I had one question though when I was fighting you. Why don't you use a max speed rabbit?

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » August 23rd, 2014, 1:21 pm

Guess we weren't butting heads against each other after all. I always run with a S/S Alpine Hare called "One Hop".

Baz
Pet Score:5193
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Baz » August 26th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Would someone be able to look at my pets and suggest some pvp teams? Wondering what would be worth leveling next :)

Awq

Post by Awq » August 26th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Skavenged wrote:Guess we weren't butting heads against each other after all. I always run with a S/S Alpine Hare called "One Hop".
I can remember fighting One Hop, so I did fight you. I did battle quite a lot throughout that weekend so my memory is quite foggy, I guess someone else had the H/S breed.
Would someone be able to look at my pets and suggest some pvp teams? Wondering what would be worth leveling next :)
I would level up the pets that you aesthetically like (or pets that come with a story), regardless of their strength.

I can't tell you which teams to level up. There are A LOT of teams that can do really well. Most pets can actually do decent in pet pvp, although some might need specific teams. I would say that a team with good synergy will generally do better than a team of three random strong pets.

However, you could check http://pvppetbattles.com for ideas. It has useful data on pet battles.

While I won't give you leveling advice I can create 1-2 teams with the pets that you currently own, if you like.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » August 28th, 2014, 9:21 am

Snorlax wrote:Everything else I threw together sucked really hard or I am too stupid to play them right.
If you've only been doing pet battles for a week then you shouldn't worry about losing in PVP pet battles. When you start a PVP battle, before you pick your first pet, you should have a relatively good idea of the other persons strategy and how they'd work against your pets. Basically, you need to know the combo's and set ups and how they'll work against you. Unfortunately, this comes from the experience you get by getting slaughtered over and over and over and over again, until you get knee jerk reactions like "oh my friskies! That's a kun-lai runt! He'll most likely chill me on the first round so that he can do that horrible combo! -- Oh more friskies! He just chilled me. I gotta block or switch out or heal or sacrifice either the current pet or another pet with really low hp to take that hit!"

Truly, you can't be as bad as I am. There was that one team (or more *cough*) that killed my entire team with only one pet.

Baz
Pet Score:5193
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Baz » August 28th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Awq wrote:
Skavenged wrote:Guess we weren't butting heads against each other after all. I always run with a S/S Alpine Hare called "One Hop".
I can remember fighting One Hop, so I did fight you. I did battle quite a lot throughout that weekend so my memory is quite foggy, I guess someone else had the H/S breed.
I would level up the pets that you aesthetically like (or pets that come with a story), regardless of their strength.

I can't tell you which teams to level up. There are A LOT of teams that can do really well. Most pets can actually do decent in pet pvp, although some might need specific teams. I would say that a team with good synergy will generally do better than a team of three random strong pets.

However, you could check for ideas. It has useful data on pet battles.

While I won't give you leveling advice I can create 1-2 teams with the pets that you currently own, if you like.
I see well I don't really mind which pets I use I just want to play a strong team to try get 5 wins in a row :)
Atm I'm using fiendish imp, death adder, spirit crab from that site and I think i have about a 50/50 win just looking to try and up that. Maybe 'm just not playing correctly but I'd appreciate some ideas on other teams I could make with what I have just to mix it up. :D

Edit: A team that can beat Magical Crawdad would be good i run into that A LOT and can never kill it.