WoD AH pets question

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us
WoD AH pets question

Post by Tekulve2012 » August 21st, 2014, 4:23 pm

I figure nobody will have a definitive answer to this question but I'd like to hear opinions:

Question:
When Nov.13th comes, will it be worthwhile to buy auction house pets or will any valuable pets(10k+) be duped and pet values deflated right away?

Im not sure if pets like the Crawling claw and s/s raven will end up trashed in their value. Some say its a code exploit so maybe not but that never explained how viscous horrors became so numerous.

Ideas and opinions are welcome

It seems we're at a nasty point in the road as far as pet buyer confidence...not sure if it could get worse

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Re: WoD AH pets question

Post by Digem » August 21st, 2014, 11:30 pm

Tekulve2012 wrote:I figure nobody will have a definitive answer to this question but I'd like to hear opinions:

Question:
When Nov.13th comes, will it be worthwhile to buy auction house pets or will any valuable pets(10k+) be duped and pet values deflated right away?

Im not sure if pets like the Crawling claw and s/s raven will end up trashed in their value. Some say its a code exploit so maybe not but that never explained how viscous horrors became so numerous.

Ideas and opinions are welcome

It seems we're at a nasty point in the road as far as pet buyer confidence...not sure if it could get worse

Pet market was always one that prices could drop on over time, because once someone learns a pet knows it on all their toons so people buying a pet at a high price again was unlikely.
Dupping or whatever has happened just speed this up.
New pets that are tradable will demand high prices at first but will drop.
Just can some of us refuse the itch to buy a new pet at too price?
I know it is a weakness I have I hope I am better next expansion but if a pet looks awesome or is a great battler I doubt I can resist long.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » August 21st, 2014, 11:35 pm

I hope they learned their lesson and don't make any stupidly rare pets again. So far it seems that only 40k+ pets have been targeted, but who knows what the lower limit is. It's a shame because goods like pets/mounts are usually a good way to hedge against inflation.

Even without duping, pet prices are volatile. Who knows what kind of Archeology catch-up mechanism they might add in WoD: if it's easy then Crawling Claw might become super common. And who knows what pets might show up on BMAH, or whether they'll raise the droprates for the MoP raid pets or Timeless Isle pets. But there's also plenty of upside if the droprates don't change, since hardly anyone will be farming those places any more.

It might be informative to look at what people were speculating before MoP, to see what ended up being right/wrong. For example:

http://stormspire.net/speculation/7033-pet-profit-mop.html

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » August 21st, 2014, 11:47 pm

Raid drops from current xpac will gain in price as will timeless isle pets unless drop rates of either are increased, which going on normal WoW history wont happen. TCG pets if not for the duping should increase in value as the cards are no longer in production, i really pity anyone trying to start pet collecting these days with so many pets not available unless you spend an insane amount of gold or real cash, a situation that will only get worse.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » August 22nd, 2014, 12:06 am

Nobody really knows how they're creating all these rare pets. Well, Blizz probably has a good idea but aren't broadcasting it so as not to tip off other hackers. "Duping" so far seems confined to the Trading Card Game rare pets, so many of us suspect that someone figured out the pattern and the check digits behind the lengthy codes you have to key in to redeem a pet or a mount. Adding to suspicion, more complaints that folks are having trouble redeeming their legitimately acquired pets, have to go through lengthy dealings with Blizz customer service. Like somebody needs to verify that they got the code righteously or through a hack.

Personally not too worried that the semi-rare pets you're getting from bosses are going to be worth their trouble.

Triara
Pet Score:2965
Realm:Hellscream-eu

Post by Triara » August 22nd, 2014, 2:04 am

Jazeel wrote:Raid drops from current xpac will gain in price as will timeless isle pets unless drop rates of either are increased, which going on normal WoW history wont happen.
Not sure about either of that.

The reason Timeless Isle pets might not gain much or even drop - people farming Shaohao rep / Bigger Bag ach, because it's easier to farm at 100 than at 90. The reason raid drop pets might not gain much - people soloing MoP raids (chances are, they will be soloable, there's a movie, for example, where a hunter in quest greens soloes Elegon 10 pretty effortlessly).

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » August 22nd, 2014, 12:12 pm

Welp, seeing as I had such great luck with almost all of my hard-to-get tradeables by picking them up just before the prices crashed (100k each for cub and EST, 90k for viscous, 75k for bananas, 50k for dragon kite etc etc) I think I will wait a few months before purchasing any pets this time around.

Saying that, of course, when I see those lovely pets I don't have and gold is burning a hole in my pocket, my resolve may not stay as strong. :D

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » August 22nd, 2014, 12:56 pm

Graven wrote:Welp, seeing as I had such great luck with almost all of my hard-to-get tradeables by picking them up just before the prices crashed (100k each for cub and EST, 90k for viscous, 75k for bananas, 50k for dragon kite etc etc) I think I will wait a few months before purchasing any pets this time around.

Saying that, of course, when I see those lovely pets I don't have and gold is burning a hole in my pocket, my resolve may not stay as strong. :D

Keep strong I know I going to try but I don't think I will be able too.
I too bought them all almost right before the major drop in prices oh well.

Vetteranger
Top Rater
Pet Score:4846
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Vetteranger » September 11th, 2014, 11:24 am

There was some question that Blizzard might not respond to CS reports of these issues. Yesterday I reported an account who constantly had 10-12 auctions (each) up for a large variety of very rare pets, and at bargain prices. Does anyone know a legitimate reason why someone is listing 12 Dark Whelplings on the AH at 1500 each, for example? Subsequent to my report, I checked last night and there were no auctions from that character, and there still aren't this morning. For the time I've participated on that server, I have NEVER seen the AH with no auctions listed by that character. Quite obviously Blizzard either suspended or banned that account.

So there is hope. :-)

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » September 11th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Vetteranger wrote:There was some question that Blizzard might not respond to CS reports of these issues. Yesterday I reported an account who constantly had 10-12 auctions (each) up for a large variety of very rare pets, and at bargain prices. Does anyone know a legitimate reason why someone is listing 12 Dark Whelplings on the AH at 1500 each, for example? Subsequent to my report, I checked last night and there were no auctions from that character, and there still aren't this morning. For the time I've participated on that server, I have NEVER seen the AH with no auctions listed by that character. Quite obviously Blizzard either suspended or banned that account.

So there is hope. :-)

God I hope so it just sickens me to see 10 ereathal soul traders on the ah on my server all under 20k and now bananas and the kites are the same.
Please blizz do something

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » September 12th, 2014, 10:13 am

This is a pet collecting forum and I figured the OP would fit here. Battlepets used to be a source of gold making for traders/raiders who obtained extra pets. Some people (like me) buy and sell pets on many realms to make gold eventually on their main realm(s).

The duping has hammered the value of the most valuable pets. If I told you 8 months ago that I could soon sell a Darkmoon eye and tiny red carp(15k total) for more gold than I might make from any of the top tcg or viscous horror (15k and less) I would have been laughed out of town but thats the reality of the tcg pet economy.

========
This thread was meant to see if anyone sees a light at the end of this tunnel and to ask ... what is the wise way to proceed as a buyer in WoD .. should a person with gold buy pets at all for the 1st 3-4 months if the value is bound to die when new pets also get duped?

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » September 12th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Tekulve2012 wrote:This thread was meant to see if anyone sees a light at the end of this tunnel and to ask ... what is the wise way to proceed as a buyer in WoD .. should a person with gold buy pets at all for the 1st 3-4 months if the value is bound to die when new pets also get duped?
Well, new pets are always overpriced when they first come out, and (except in the case of limited-supply pets like TCGs) will naturally decrease in value as more people add them to their collections.

For example, when Pierre and Rascal first came out, I was listing the first ones I made for 25k each and they flew off the AH. They are now 2.5-3k because nearly everyone who wants them has them by now. Also, look at timeless isle pets - remember dandelion frolickers going for 10k+ in the first weeks? You can have one for 100g now.

The only reason the TCG pets kept their value for so long (until the duping started) was the very limited supply of them.

Grisktth
Pet Score:5863
Realm:Hydraxis-us

Post by Grisktth » September 20th, 2014, 12:35 pm

The duping appears to have started effecting prices of legitimate TCG pets. Price on Soul-Trader Beacon on one website that sells TCG codes has dropped by $60 USD since I recorded the prices about six months ago. Spectral Tiger Cub, Rocket Chicken, and Banana Charm have also decreased in value by $10-$20.

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12239
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » September 22nd, 2014, 7:27 am

Right now, there are only two "rare" pets to get and by that I mean that the Elite that drops them (Demidos and Oromo the Observer) are not precisely soloable. (As a ilvl 608 Hunter I was *nearly* able to solo Demidos with heal over time items out the wazoo and a potion. Luckily, someone showed up when he was <30% health to help me finish him off -- however, I would not recommend soloing him, he's a tough one. Just bring friends.) Oromo is a summonable rare in Shattrath, and that place - while you *can* sneak around there, I've done it a bunch, it's just plain easier and headache-free with a group.

These guys are also level 100, so we will not be seeing them on the AH for a little while anyway -- maybe a couple of days. Not all people who spam to 100 are pet hunters. But rest assured, if you are on Stormrage, I'll be in the group of the first to 100 and I'll be after them. (My bnet is on the left, add me! I am *always* up for grouping to kill pet drop rares and as a BM Hunter, I can solo nearly everything in WoD and I never mind helping people.)

It might be worth your time if you're alliance to login to your Horde character first thing - get to Frostfire Ridge, and pick up the egg for your Fruit Hunter. It takes 3 days to hatch. You can grab it and then go back to leveling your Alliance. I think it's cageable if you want to try and make some $$ Alliance side at the start. Me? I just collect at first.