Pet of the Month - Clockwork Gnome

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Pet of the Month - Clockwork Gnome

Post by Quintessence » July 16th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Many thanks to [profile]Liopleurodon[/profile] for writing the battling portion of our newest feature, [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/news/clockwork-gnome-pet-of-the-month-july-2014/]Pet of the Month[/url]. Here are some additional points on the [pet]Clockwork Gnome[/pet] that she wanted to share!

How Do You Use Your Clockwork Gnome?
The Clockwork Gnome is a long-time favorite of mine. There are 2 different strategies to use with him, stemming from whether you choose to use [ability]Build Turret[/ability] or [ability]Launch Rocket[/ability] in the third slot.

My personal preference in the metagame swings toward DoT teams, so the way the Clockwork Gnome captured my heart was through Build Turret. Because the turret is placed on the ground and always hits the front pet, and because you can have a couple out at once where the cooldowns overlap, it makes an excellent choice to use in concert with other debuffs.

Early on my favorite pairing was a pet with [ability]Call Lightning[/ability]. Each individual hit of the turret makes the Lightning effect go off for additional damage, and each hit of both the turret and the Lightning can be affected by either additive or multiplicative debuffs. At this point, I'm more partial to forgoing the Lightning and just employing an additive debuff, like a [pet]Cogblade Raptor[/pet] with [ability]Exposed Wounds[/ability] or the [pet]Zandalari Kneebiter[/pet], which can use [ability]Black Claw[/ability] and then [ability]Stampede[/ability] to make that Turret obliterate your opponent. The latter is the strategy I use to kill many of the Beasts of Fable, as it's really ideal for single-pet fights.

The other choice in slot 3 is the 2-turn nuke [ability]Launch Rocket[/ability]. Using this ability takes a bit of planning, because you have to use it once to construct the rocket, and then a second time the turn you'd like to Launch the Rocket for a big single nuke. However, across 2 turns, the DPS of Launch Rocket is almost the same as if you'd just used [ability]Metal Fist[/ability] twice. Due to the activated nature of the launch, this ability is still to your advantage if your opponent has a dodge ability or two, or applies a blind debuff. Build your rocket on the turn while your opponent is dodging, and then hit them hard after they're done. It's also very beneficial if you have an opponent with a heal, so you can end the match with sheer burst. I like to use my gnome with Launch Rocket against Major Payne's Grizzle. I prime the rocket and wait until Grizzle uses his [ability]Hibernate[/ability], then beat him before he can heal back up.

The Gnome has 289 speed, so for many matchups he's going to be slower than his opponent. This should be considered when you make a decision on your 2nd slot skill, as [ability]Blitz[/ability] is lackluster if your pet isn't going first. Blitz can also interact really well with the debuffs you'd use for a Turret. [ability]Repair[/ability] is difficult to use in PVP, as your gnome is a sitting duck for 2 turns while you wait for it, so I generally take Blitz unless my matches seem to be drawing turtle-heavy.

Speaking of turtles, one big issue with using a Clockwork Gnome in PVP is that he's extremely easy to counter if your opponent has a few common moves. If you're using the turret, per-hit shields like a turtle's [ability]Shell Shield[/ability] or the [ability]Sandstorm[/ability] weather effect will neutralize it pretty handily even if you're using other buffs.

The most brutal counter to the turret is the spider-centric ability [ability]Molten Web[/ability]. It deals reflexive damage on each hit, so it's a really effective counter for many DoT teams. The first time I came up against this counter was in a friendly duel but I may have started cursing anyway. Lastly, both the Turret and Launch Rocket movesets are vulnerable to abilities which remove objects from the field, like [ability]Tidal Wave[/ability].

The Clockwork Gnome is one of my workhorses in PVE. Though it's a roll of the dice how he'll fare in PVP, I still find him fun to play even when we're losing. That mustache is made for a good time.

So, how do you use your Clockwork Gnome?

-[url=http://battlepetroundup.com/]Tamer Liopleurodon[/url]
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Pet of the Month - Clockwork Gnome

Post by Luciandk » July 17th, 2014, 4:32 am

Clockwork Gnome is essential for me to take down the Celestials and Lil Oondasta.

Stacking Build Turret, Black Claw and Hunting Party (Shattered Defenses), for some truly ghastly levels of mechanical damage against the beast bosses.

The CG is a good example of an ability being so good that it overshadows an underwhelming breed completely. Though I do wish Build Turret appeared on more pets with better combo abilities. Like the Tournament npc pet Stormoen comming with both Call Lightning and Build Turret.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » July 17th, 2014, 6:31 am

Nice article as always.

Having Rail Gun and 289 speed makes it quite good at taking out many of the slower Mechanicals. And Blitz is very powerful against Dragons that are almost all below 289 speed, just make sure it is the ones with magical fire and not elemental fire.

Turrets are great at destroying Decoys. Making Moths less annoying since they won't be able to hide in their cocoon.

I often face this opponent that puts up a turret and then does Repair. It rarely seems to break even.

Another thing to try is to put up a turret and then switch to a pet with either Touch of Animus(for insane heals) or Plagued Blood. As long as a sandstorm/shell is not up you will heal back a lot.

It seems that at least one new pet in WoD will have a turret ability, lets hope it just won't put old Clockwork Gnome to too much shame.

ps. If you put up a rocket and the gnome dies, if you have another pet with rocket ability the other pet can activate the one you already put on the ground. Not sure how useful it actually is to have two pets with rocket...

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » July 17th, 2014, 9:06 am

Love me some Clockwork Gnome!! This has been a favorite of mine even before pet battles were implemented. One of my most successful teams was built around this little guy. Just pair him up with black claw, and he burns down teams regardless of Sandstorm/Shell Shield or the like.

Adumbledore
Top Rater
Pet Score:9248
BattleTag®:ADumbledore#1672
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Adumbledore » July 19th, 2014, 8:03 pm

I think that the Clockwork Gnome is almost one of those "must-have" pets from the Mechanical family, at least for PvE. With its moveset, it makes a lot of fights (especially those that are Beast-heavy) pretty trivial. That said, I love my Clockwork Gnome and it sees a lot of use when completing the pet dailies.

Visit my pet battle blog: http://petpersuasion.wordpress.com/

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » July 29th, 2014, 7:52 am

One of the things I like about the Clockwork Gnome is the ability to take an elemental based attack in railgun. Really helps out against other mechs, especially as I use 2 Zandalari Raptors with my Gnome most of the time, so other mechanicals are hurty.

Ashkir
Pet Score:2986
BattleTag®:Ashkir#1440
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ashkir » August 10th, 2014, 3:29 am

Luciandk wrote:Clockwork Gnome is essential for me to take down the Celestials and Lil Oondasta.

Stacking Build Turret, Black Claw and Hunting Party (Shattered Defenses), for some truly ghastly levels of mechanical damage against the beast bosses.

The CG is a good example of an ability being so good that it overshadows an underwhelming breed completely. Though I do wish Build Turret appeared on more pets with better combo abilities. Like the Tournament npc pet Stormoen comming with both Call Lightning and Build Turret.
Okay, I wanted to thank you. I'm suffering on Lil Oondasta. I guess I now have a reason to start Archaelogy again. I didn't realize there were other pets besides the Fossilized Hatchling. Thank you again.

Genome
Pet Score:2401
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Genome » August 10th, 2014, 4:35 pm

He is in my top five favorite PvP pets, mostly because of his versatility. I run him with 2/2/1, which covers three different family types. His stats are "decent"; nice health and ok speed. [ability]Railgun[/ability] tears up other mechs (but a bit prone to missing), [ability]Blitz[/ability] is very good vs. Dragons, and normally gets the extra hit against them because they are usually slower than the CG. Finally, [ability]Build Turret[/ability] is possibly the most versatile ability in the game, but is not broken and is counter-able. BT benefits from Call Lightning, Plagued Blood, and Black Claw, to name but a few abilities, and stays out on the frontline, which allows for it's customization. BT eats up Decoys, Bubbles, Barriers, etc. very efficiently. It also has a "hidden" ability as well; it hits through [ability]Blinding Poison[/ability] on a fairly regular basis, normally two out of three bullets, which is worth it's weight in gold.

The CG does suffer from a few matchups however. Anything with a shield (i.e. [ability]Shell Shield[/ability], [ability]Sandstorm[/ability], [ability]Spiked Skin[/ability], etc..) takes much of his dmg potential away, unless the shield bearer is debuffed (i.e. [ability]Wild Magic[/ability], etc..). The turret is also susceptible to clearing moves such as [ability]Tidal Wave[/ability].

In closing, I really think he is one of the better pets in the game for PvP, and is really fun to fool around with on myriad comps. If you run into a CG named Stanley, you have met mine :)