Thoughts on the Christoph Von Feasel fight?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Hazelnuttygames
Pet Score:11798
Realm:Lightbringer-us
Thoughts on the Christoph Von Feasel fight?

Post by Hazelnuttygames » August 6th, 2014, 1:10 pm

So I've recently had a chance to look at and try out Christoph Von Feasel's new pet battle daily at the Darkmoon Faire, in the WoD beta. I was a little underwhelmed by the overall difficulty of the fight relative to Jeremy Feasel.

His first pet, Syd (the Squid!) was for me the hardest part of the encounter due to his Bubble ability. From the looks of the ability tooltip (shields the pet from two attacks, same as Decoy) it's not functioning correctly in Beta. As it stands, it shields his squid for two *turns* regardless of how many times you hit him on each turn. Once that gets fixed, I see the fight being much easier. I found pets with Slicing Winds and Lift-off effective here because Slicing Winds will (theoretically, one day) break through Bubble in a single turn and Lift-off helps you to avoid his Whirlpool. Jade Owl would be especially nice here due to its aquatic resistance- I didn't have one so I went with a Pterrordax Hatchling due to the attack stat. Harpy Youngling also worked.

The last two pets are fairly cut and dry beast, and can be countered by most Mech pets. I like Mr. Bling due to his speed and the flexibility of Launch Rocket, and found he mopped up Mr. Pointy the Direhorn and half of Otto the cow. I picked Darkmoon Zeppelin for my third slot because I found Decoy helpful in slowing down the Cow/reducing the likelihood of him healing. I imagine you could get away with almost any mech pet in the third slot, or maybe even a carry pet for powerleveling.

I made a quick video showing the fight as it stands in Beta if anyone hasn't seen it yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADvWL7BJI8

I'm curious to know what other people have tried (or, if they don't have beta access, have theorycrafted but not tried yet) for this fight! It seems to be flexible but there are always better teams! Thoughts?

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Thoughts on the Christoph Von Feasel fight?

Post by Poofah » August 6th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Hazelnuttygames wrote:From the looks of the ability tooltip (shields the pet from two attacks, same as Decoy) it's not functioning correctly in Beta. As it stands, it shields his squid for two *turns* regardless of how many times you hit him on each turn.
Bubble and Decoy work this way on live with Slicing Wind. Some multi-hit attacks will stop after the first hit misses or is blocked, but many will keep going. It's a detail of how they're coded and not consistent between abilities, but I wouldn't expect this to change. Even so I think you picked the perfect counter, Jade Owl, and maybe that makes it seem easy.

Similarly, I think Otto could be tough if he managed to land Feed with his buff active -- Decoy is a great counter to that. And Rocket is a great way to deal with the direhorn's shield. Maybe you just found a really good counter-team with your first try? Ultimately the challenge will be to 2-pet him like the current DM tamer, so he probably shouldn't be extremely hard with 3.

Hazelnuttygames
Pet Score:11798
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Hazelnuttygames » August 6th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Wow, I can't believe I didn't know that Slicing Wind wouldn't burn through a Decoy. My world is a little shaken.

I'm pretty happy with the counter-nature of the team as it is. I'm going to have to find a Jade Owl on beta so I can try it out, it looks great on paper and I'm curious to see if the Jade Owl and Lil' Bling can two-pet the encounter. Otto's Feed ability would probably be the sticking point depending on RNG.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » August 7th, 2014, 2:20 am

Of these 13 near identical multiple hit abilities
[url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/filter/?filter=multiple_hit_effects[/url]
Only Flurry works differently and will continue to hit decoy/bubble.

Then of course you have stampede-type moves and barrage-type moves.

And the two not explained by tool tip at all:
Plot Twist from Rascal-Bot
Blessed Hammer from Murkalot
Edit: spiderling swarm too I guess

Not very intuitive or well explained...